Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Hotspot Not working after 4.4.4 Update

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Wifi Hotspot Not working after 4.4.4 Update

SprintCare,

After spending 2 hours on the phone with Samsung and another 2 hours in the store working with a Samsung tech expert, we have made no progress.  Wiping the phone to factory reset didn't work.  Having the tech export from Samsung reload the firmware also didn't work.

Is this problem specific to a certain version of the S5 hardware?  I am surprised that no one at Samsung was aware of this issue or of Sprint working with them on the issue.

Appreciate any additional details you can provide on this issue.

Thanks,

Jay

Highlighted
Journeyman

All,

My WiFi is now working again, on 5.0 Lollipop. It didn't work last week when the system updated to the new OS, but then I took my phone back into the Sprint store last night and their technician performed a hard reset and now it works. Despite the many suggestions I chose not to perform a hard reset over the last several months so I have no way of knowing if the hard reset would have cured the issue all along. I was under the impression that this issue was a manufacturer issue being worked on so I deferred the hassle of the hard reset.

I hope this info is helpful and that you all also have your WiFi capabilities restored soon.

-Andy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Beyond frustrated. Why am I paying extra for hot spot and it hasn't worked for a month. I just tried hard reset and still not able to connect to internet.

Highlighted
Master

​missbee124 - Is your hotspot not working on 3G either? Please let us know. - Crystal G
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

My connection shows LTE. Always has since I got this phone last year.Just like the others on this thread the hotspot connects. ..but laptop or kindle won't connect to internet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

missbee124 ... I feel your frustration.  I now have my phone working again after a very long 3 months.

Two things happened today,  First, after spending 6 hours with Samsung tech support over the weekend we decided to try getting a replacement phone.  I am not sure that step was required, but that was the next thing we tried.

The new phone was seeing a similar issue.  Thankfully the manager of the Sprint Store I was at knew that there is currently an issue with LTE phones acting as a hotspot.  Here is what I would recommend:

1) On your phone go to settings -> More networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode

In here set it to 'CDMA'.  The phone will reboot.  Then try your hot spot again.  This worked for me on the

new phone today.  You only get 3G speeds, but it should be temporary.

2) If the above doesn't work, go in the Sprint Store and ask for a replacement.  I have the replacement plan

on my phone and they were very accommodating to the request.

I am currently working well on 3G.  The guy at the store was going to let me know when the LTE issue was resolved.  I will update here when I know that issue has been resolved.

Let me know if this helps missbee.  I hope it does.  Want to save people the hassle I have been through the last week!

Jay

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dunno if this was the exact problem that's was causing the issue, but I was having same issue getting my satellite receiver box(The Hopper from DISH) to have full connectivity to my Galaxy S5 hotspot after the 5.0 Lollipop update.

After hours of my own diagnoses and troubleshooting, the only thing that I noticed any difference was the Subnet Mask and possibly the IP Address I believe had changed.

So you go to SETTINGS> HOTSPOT> tap the menu icon once on the HOTSPOT screen> tap LAN settings > set the IP ADDRESS to 10.1.10.1 and set the SUBNET MASK to 255.255.255.0 and right below the SUBNET MASK, checkmark the DHCP so it is turned on.

How I eventually came to this conclusion is that my Hopper showed that it had a server connection and internet connection, but kept failing under "DHCP Acquired".

Again, I really have no clue if this was the cause of the issue, but after I set the LAN settings on my phone according to the steps I listed above....ISSUE RESOLVED!

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dunno if this was the exact problem that's was causing the issue, but I was having same issue getting my satellite receiver box(The Hopper from DISH) to have full connectivity to my Galaxy S5 hotspot after the 5.0 Lollipop update.

After hours of my own diagnoses and troubleshooting, the only thing that I noticed any difference was the Subnet Mask and possibly the IP Address I believe had changed.

So you go to SETTINGS> HOTSPOT> tap the menu icon once on the HOTSPOT screen> tap LAN settings > set the IP ADDRESS to 10.1.10.1 and set the SUBNET MASK to 255.255.255.0 and right below the SUBNET MASK, checkmark the DHCP so it is turned on.

How I eventually came to this conclusion is that my Hopper showed that it had a server connection and internet connection, but kept failing under "DHCP Acquired".

Again, I really have no clue if this was the cause of the issue, but after I set the LAN settings on my phone according to the steps I listed above....ISSUE RESOLVED!

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It WORKED.... Thank you so much!

Highlighted
Journeyman

... It worked. Thank you...thank you...thank you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

missbee124 ... So glad it worked!  You are welcome!

Highlighted
Journeyman

MileHighErik ... That is a good thing to note in here as well.  The subnet does change, by default, in Lollipop from 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 to 192.168.128.1/255.255.255.0 .Hadn't thought about it, but that could mess up people who aren't using DHCP.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat