cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi won't stay off!

Journeyman

Wifi won't stay off!

Ever since the most recent update, my wifi will not stay off when I turn it off.  It's driving me crazy!  I'll turn it off, and then it's back on in less than a minute!  My friend also has a Galaxy S5 through Sprint and has the exact same problem.  We both had no problems before.  I'm not saying the update is the cause, I'm just saying that's about the time both of us started noticing the problem.

I saw another post about this for another Samsung phone, but since I have a Galaxy S5, I thought it would be more appropriate to start a new post here.  Here are some of the things I have already tried...

• I've turned off Connections Optimizer
  • I've turned off the wifi notifications for new connections
  • I've turned off location services
  • I've changed the preferred network to CDMA only

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

24 REPLIES 24
Master

Re: Wifi won't stay off!

Syragar,

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you reached out regarding your issue. Have you tried powering down your device for a minute? When you switch the Wi-Fi off, does an error pop up? May I have the nearest cross streets and zip code where the issue occurs. - Geraldine
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi!  Thank you for your help.  I've tried powering off the phone, but it still happens.  I've tried powering it off when the wifi was both on and off.  There is no error message when I switch off wifi.  This is happening both at home and at work, and it hasn't happened at either location before.  The same is true for my friend.

I really don't want to give my actual location on a public forum, but I will send it to you in a private message.

Thanks!

Journeyman

Been trying to figure this out too, it's only been since the update.  Samsung seems to say its Sprint's problem, sprint has no information on it I have seen yet.  It's basically like the connections optimizer stays on even if it's checked to be off.  Even hard resetting the device will not fix it currently.  I'm still searching but if I see any workaround I'll post it.

Master

MobiletechB,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Are you disabling Connections Optimizer using the steps provided at sprint.co/Vy9KEc ? Have you tried also disabling the 'Always allow scanning' wifi setting? This can be toggled by going to Settings > Wifi > Advanced.

- Jathen
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes those have all been disabled, but it does not stop the phone from turning on the wifi automatically and connecting to any open hotspot or a wifi connection that it has connected to before.  Even after a hard reset with no applications installed it will continue to every several minutes turn on and connect to wifi.  This is the case with every single S5 updated to the latest firmware that I have seen.

Master

MobiletechB - Is the device still connecting to known WiFi networks even though a master reset was performed? - Kevon
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes, the device is connecting even though a reset was performed, it has been reset, it has been updated to lolipop now and the problem continues to persist, the wifi will turn on automatically and 3g connections will go in and out intermittently.

Master

MobiletechB - Have you tried forgetting all networks, this way it wont automatically connect to a network previously used? Let us know. We want to help. - TatianaSprint Social Care
Journeyman

Give this a try, I tried it and it has seemed to work for me. Restart your phone in safe mode by powering it off and then when the Samsung logo comes up press and hold the volume button. Once started in safe mode go into settings→more networks→mobile networks→connection optimizer and once in there turn it on and then back off and then restart your phone. This was just something that I tried and it seems to be working for me. Hope it works for everyone else as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the advice, thetwelfthman. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. WiFi is still switches itself back on after it has been turned off. VERY ANNOYING! I had a tech from Sprint contact me, but he insisted it wasn't Sprint, and wouldn't listen to me when I tried to explain the situation with the Connection Optimizer, nor would he take into consideration that it started happening to my friend at the same time, and is happening now to everyone I know that has a S5 from Sprint. He insisted that I need to factory reset my phone, which I will not do. I guess this means that I, as well as some other people I know, will be shopping around for a new cell phone service once our contracts are up.

Journeyman

I've found many posts on other forums where people are experiencing the same problem. Here is an example.

http://androidforums.com/threads/connections-optimizer-killing-battery-life-wont-stay-disabled.732125/

This is for another device, and was posted a long time ago. But it is the same problem with the Sprint Connection Optimizer. So I guess this is a lost cause. =( Oh well. I enjoyed my phone before the dreaded update. I guess I'll just have to push through this until the end of the contract.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat