cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Backup and Restore or Factory Reset Remove Malware Issues?

Highlighted
Master

Re: Will Backup and Restore or Factory Reset Remove Malware Issues?

Well, lets verify with him and see. But I think it's the app downloading and installing that causes it. It should happen only once when it first installs as I mention, after that it should be fine.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

RoyalsBaseballFan replied (in response to fireguy_6364) 1 hour ago

I hope this is my last question about the factory reset. Now, when I reboot the phone (simply power down and power back up), the "Sprint Default" starts downloading and installing, without any prompting by me.  This resets my app layout to default, resets my background photo to default (not on lock screen, but on others), and reinstalls the junk apps I've uninstalled. It doesn't do this with every reboot, but it has done it with 2 of them in the past 18 hours (in addition to the initial reboot after reset).  How can I stop this from happening at all?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Your not going to stop the Sprint apps from installing on a stock phone, that's just the way they get there now where as in the past they may have been there "from the factory".  Honestly, to me it sounds like the process is not completing so it is retriggering the Sprint apps download and install and will continue to do so until it has completed.

I actually had this happen recently on my S4, it did it's thing and then on either the next or second reboot (don't recall which exactly) after that it started again.  But apparently completed that time as everything seemed to be there (Sprint installed apps) and it has been dormant ever since.

I could be wrong, but I believe that it is Sprint ID that handles this, but this is an app that does not show up as a user selectable app in the app drawer. If you go to Settings>App Manger>All you should see it in the list.  Since it is installed as a System App you cannot disable it, but you can try clearing the cache and see if that resolves the constant restart of it.  If not then at your own risk of this occurring all over again, clear the Data.  When you reboot it will likely start again and it may reset everything again.  But this might give it the best shot at completing cleanly, which out resorting to another factory reset.

If that fails, then I would recommend doing a factory reset and let it complete before making any changes.  Once it "appears" to have worked, add something or otherwise make a change on your home screen (something that you know it has changed back in the past) then reboot the phone multiple times to make sure that it is done before customizing it to your liking.  But make sure you give it at least few minutes between reboots to fully load everything up the int background between each reboot.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

much appreciated..

the S5 can delete those apps? i thought we were stuck with disable only?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not that I am aware of, but then I do not have an S5.  But even not having one I would highly doubt that a stock S5 could delete those apps, as they are likely installed as System Apps which standard stock carrier branded/sold devices cannot delete.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

gotcha..thought they might have been given a cool ability while the rest of us were stuck with disable only lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, All.  I've done 3-4 power down/power up  tries this afternoon, and it does appear that the problem was due to something not completing during the initial process--interruption in the full download and install.  I hope I'm ok.  If it happens again, I'll be back on tomorrow.  Thanks for the help!

Highlighted
Master

hmm, my post never showed up. I replied to this saying I missed that part.

However, it sounds as if the phone is not recognizing that the download and install has taken place or the install is not registering and as a result, repeats.

My suggest, because I would do it myself would be to perform another hard reset, see if it corrects the problem this time around. Especially since he already did a hard reset recently.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

Not all the apps can be deleted, the apps like Nascar, NBA and such can be deleted. The Sprint Games app cannot be deleted nor can it be disabled. There's a couple others as well that can only be disabled. But for the most part, you can just about uninstall all the apps it installs IF the apps weren't on the phone from the OS update. Those you can only uninstall updates to.

--

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the sprint games app is actually integrated into the system..one of the games i play is actually linked to it as of a few months ago..

Highlighted
Master

Well, integrated in that it's part of the Sprint Zone install. On the M8, it was installed when they updated Sprint Zone with the new scheme last year. Now though, any phone that's bought comes with the new Sprint Zone automatically and as a result the Sprint Games. So yeah, its integrated. 

--

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im still not exactly sure what its purpose is other than possibly in game purchases or something..other than that not a clue.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat