cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S5

1 Comment

If you are in the Palo Alto, CA. area this is your chance!

Saturday June 21st from 11 am - 12 pm you can enter into a chance to get a Galaxy S5 and a Fitbit Flex! Just head over to the Palo Alto Sprint store at 499 University Avenue!

They will have T-shirts, Cliff bars, Zico water and more goodies!

Special Guest!

You will be able to meet Dean Karnazes, named “Fittest Man on the Planet” by Men’s Health magazine!

Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/287472318093163/

Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Hello Everyone

I thought it would be fun to do something a bit out of the box!  Enjoy my Fashion Meets Tech Video blog!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices/services and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices/services, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Hello Everyone!

Check out my video blog unboxing of the Spigen Neo Hybrid case for the Samsung Galaxy S5.  Pretty awesome case!

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices/services and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices/services, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

s5_glas_t_r_slim_privacy_title.jpg

Have you tried any of those screen protectors on your phone and find it hard to get all those bubbles out from under the film, well try Spigen GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy glass on your Samsung Galaxy S5. Spigen Privacy Glass is not only easy stall with none of those pesky bubbles, it also provides privacy from on lookers. This is perfect for business when you use your mobile phone for work and need to prevent someone from looking over to see what is on your screen.

s5_privacy01.jpg

Now when I go somewhere for lunch, I don't have to worry about someone looking over my shoulder while I am checking my email on my Samsung Galaxy S5 about the next phone coming out or some other information. My Spigen Privacy Glass also protects my screen from scratches and other harm.

blue-galaxy-s5.jpgs5_sa_ms_2.jpg

In addition, I have a Spigen Slim Armor case for additional protection. The case keeps the appeal of my Samsung Galaxy S5 while providing protection at the same time. My Spigen case allows me to use all the features on the phone including my IR blaster for my Samsung Smart Remote. I did try another case on my Samsung Galaxy S5 before I picked up my Spigen SlimArmor.

What case or screen protector are you using on your Samsung Galaxy S5?

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Samsung S5Front.PNG

I've had the GS5 for about 7wks now and we are wrapping up the launch team for the device. Over the last 7wks I've really enjoyed the GS5 and here are some of my favorite things:

• I love the camera, 16MP and have had a lot of fun with it and using "Selective Focus". Here are few of my favorite photos taken with the GS5:

sunset.PNG 20140508_194539.jpg

LilyFarFocus.PNGLilyNearFocus.PNG

• Battery Life has been phenomenal as you can see hear I've been on battery for 7+ hrs and still at 71%

BatteryLife1.png

• I also love the screen, it's nice and bright and very easy to read in daylight at full brightness.
  • Fingerprint scanner I also like, it was pretty easy for me to setup so that my wife and I both could get into my phone.
  • Water resistant (IP67), getting caught in the rain or at the beach/pool I never once worried about the phone getting wet.

Overall I've been real pleased with the GS5 coupled with a Spigen case and ANTI-PEEK privacy screen you can't go wrong, Samsung is probably one of my favorite OEM's and was real excited to be apart of this launch team.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

s5_privacy01 -- 60.jpg

Cracked smartphone screens are all around us.  Sometimes cracks are fatal and sometimes they're not.  Best case scenario is that every time you look at your phone there is an ugly, distracting blemish running across the screen.  Screen protectors have been around for a while now and most of them are pretty inexpensive.  They're typically made of plastic and while they do a good job keeping minor scratches away, they tend to not offer much drop protection for your screen. Spigen's Galaxy S5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy attempts to solve that problem.

s5_privacy05 -- 40.jpg

The first thing I noticed after unboxing the screen protector was just how sturdy it was in comparison to other plastic screen protectors that I'd used in the past.  It's made of tempered glass and with a 9H hardness rating which means that scratching this thing is virtually impossible.  Installation was quick and easy and the few bubbles that remained afterward were easily removed by rubbing it with the included microfiber cloth.

One of the most impressive feature of the GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy is the actual privacy that it provides.  The screen is visible while looking at it straight on however if you try to view it from the side it becomes more difficult the steeper the angle and the farther away that you are.  If you have a lot of sensitive information on your device or you're just a stickler for keeping your information private, this is exactly what you're looking for.

s5_privacy06 -- 40.jpg

If you're worried about how the screen protector will impact the responsiveness of the GS5's touch screen, don't.  Operating the screen is just as smooth as before.  The Oleophobic coating keeps fingerprints and smudges to a minimun and whenever there are smudges they wipe away very easily.  The GLAS.tR Slim Privacy provides 80% light transmittance while viewing from straight on so your screen will look a litter dimmer however this hasn't been an issue for me.  The benefits of the privacy screen far outway any lost visibility from the screen.

s5_privacy02 -- 40.jpg

Below is a video review of the Spigen Glas.tR Privacy for the iPhone 5/5S to give you a real look at how this technology actually works.  Here is a link to the video.

The Glas.tR SLIM Privacy for the GS5 retails for $39.99 on the Spigen website.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s5/galaxy-s5-screen-protector-glas-tr-slim-privac...

Until next time,

Dre

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

KIMG0006_ws.jpg

Call me crazy but I'm NOT a fan of cases. Not until now.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand their value and appreciate the extra protection they offer from life's mishaps. Dropping and breaking a $650 smartphone is very expensive lesson in why we need and use cases. However, almost every case I've tried, and there have been many, detract from the functionality and/or visual appeal of the device. Most cases make me feel like I'm installing Hummer IUD armor on James Bond's Aston Martin.

And then Spigen came along. Now I feel like I'm wearing a bullet-proof tuxedo. Form, fashion and protection.

Spigen makes some very nice accessory cases. They make cases for all popular smartphones and tablets in a variety of styles and colors that compliment devices instead of screaming LOOK AT MY CASE!

What impresses me most about Spigen cases is the fit and finish. Take a look at the photo above of my Galaxy S 5 and the Spigen case underneath. Can you see how the Spigen case carries the design choices of Samsung through their product? When the case is on my GS5 is blends in almost seamlessly. It's light, thin and beautiful.

The Neo Hybrid case provides just enough front glass flare to give it scratch and smudge protection if you lay your device face down. Best yet, the front lip is so slim and slight that it doesn't get in the way of using the full touch keyboard on my smartphone (we've all had one of those cases that block access to 'Q', 'A', 'P' and 'L').

KIMG0007_ws.jpg

The case fit and finish are so precise you can still use the Galaxy S5 heartbeat monitor as if the case weren't there.

The camera lens and flash cutouts are perfectly framed for unobtrusive shots. And no more "case shadow" or "case glare" with the LED flash.

KIMG0015_ws.jpg

The cutouts for speaker, headphone jack, microphones (which are REALLY tiny) and RF are super precise. I've had many cases where I'm constantly wiggling and shifting the case to get ports, mics, speakers or sensors aligned properly. Not with Spigen. I also appreciate the attention to detail - notice the slight raise around the rear speaker to ensure if you lay your device back-down you won't muffle the speaker.

KIMG0016_ws.jpgKIMG0014_ws.jpg

If you purchase a case for your Galaxy S5, or any smartphone, I hope you consider getting a Spigen case. The fit, finish and quality are the best I've seen yet. I'm sure you will think so too.

Until next time,

Your Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

spigen_slimarmor_frontback.jpg

I hate putting a case on my phone.  Hate it.  For years I went without using a case on my devices.  I had purchased cheap cases before, however after a few days I would take them off and that was that.  It just wasn't my thing.  That is, until I destroyed my Samsung Epic Touch 4G.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was getting into the car and my phone was inside the pocket of my basketball shorts that just happened to bej on the side facing the outside of the vehicle.  The device slipped out of my pocket while I was simultaneously closing the door of the car and the device literally got smashed in the door before hitting the ground.  The device was unusable after that.  I was sick.

After this experience, I still hated cases.  However I embraced the idea that maybe they are just a necessary evil.  After all, not only are smartphones very costly but they have also become a huge part of our everyday lives.  You're almost asking for trouble if you don't spend a little extra to protect such an important investment.

I've opted for super protective cases in the past that were very bulky and turned my device into a brick.  Sure, they offered great protection but they also ruined the experience of having a premium device.  I've also tried super thin cases that looked and felt the part but offered minimal protection from drops.  If I'm going to commit to using a case, not only will it need to keep my device safe, it will also need to look amazing.

spigen_slimarmor_duallayer.jpg

The Spigen Slim Armor case for the Galaxy S5 is an excellent choice for those of you who are looking for a good combination of both protection and sleekness.  The case has a two layered design that includes a TPU layer coupled with a polycarbonate hard shell on the outside.  According to Spigen's website, the two layered design provides dual protection from drops and scratches.

Installation of the case was super easy and it fits the device perfectly.  The cutouts for the camera, charging port and heart rate monitor fit great and the buttons are still very responsive.  Spigen has really did an exceptional job finding a "middle ground" with is case.  At first glance the case appears to be bigger than it actually is however after installation I was pleasantly surprised at how good it felt in the hand.  The back of the case uses a similar dimpled design to that of the Galaxy S5 and the texture of the hard outer shell creates just enough traction to feel secure when holding it without the sticky feeling that many cheap rubber cases have -- the type that attracts lots of lint, yuck.

spigen_slimarmor_thin.jpg

After using this case for a couple of weeks now, I'd have to say this is definitely a keeper.  I've included two video reviews of the case below.  Feel free to take a look.

Here is a link for the above video

Here is a link for the above video

Until next time,

Dre

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

This will be my last review of the Galaxy S5 and I will be giving an overview of my favorite things.

1. Quality of picture: The picture on the Samsung galaxy S5 is great! I have loved how clear and crisp the picture looks. Great for movies, games, or just browsing!

2. Camera: I probably had the most fun with this. The camera and all the features of the camera gave me so much joy. I played with the backgrounds, tones, effects, portrait, decoration, etc. if you like taking pictures, this one is fun!

3. New settings menu: At first i did not like it, but once i got used to it, it is so easy to navigate, and the pictures they use just make it quick to find and access. This truly is a win.

4. Kid mode: With my daughter this one is huge. She loves the kid mode, and I dont have to worry about her getting into my phone features! When my daughter is happy, I am happy. So this one just makes me happy!

5. Water Resistant: This one i have always enjoyed. no more worries about a little rain, or some water from the sink, etc. this phone can handle the water fine!

Those are the main things that i really enjoyed with the Samsung Galaxy S5. There are so many other great features with the S5. These were just the ones that stood out to me the most. I hope you have enjoyed these reviews. Be sure to follow me here to see more reviews of new phones and devices coming up!

Your Product Ambassadaor team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

So I have always been a fan of the Dogfight phone videos.  They pit 2 top phones against each other and show you the different aspects between both.  In this case the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 square off against each other.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8) Dogfight! - YouTube

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

So... another Sammy device, another feature filled Galaxy S smartphone. When launched, most of us were stumped as Samsung reduced the number of features on the S5 to fight its reputation of being knows as the company leading in "feature spam." Samsung was focusing this year on health and fitness. So it was kind of disappointing to me that their SHealth app only had a new heartrate feature, and nothing else, or at least, not something new I really cared about. Until now!

Samsung just updated the SHealth app to ver 3.2 and added some interesting features:

Screenshot_2014-06-01-14-03-15.png

Stress measurement!

Screenshot_2014-06-01-14-03-22.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-03-43.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-04-18.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-04-23.png

Once you click on the Stress button, you will be asked to put your finger on the heartrate sensor and the phone is start to calculate your stress level. This process does take a lot longer when compared to standard heartrate measure, approx a full minute sometimes, but it does give you a decent idea of how stressed you are. You can keep track of your stress levels in the log, which I find very useful.

Coach!

Screenshot_2014-06-01-14-04-33.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-03-43.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-05-21.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-05-45.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-14-05-55.png

Samsung partnered with Cigna to provide a health coach that will help you accept, track and follow through your health goals. It will recommend several goals based on your health profile and stress levels and it will be up to you to choose some or all of these goals. Once you accept a goal, it will then give you several sub missions on how to achieve this goal. Long story short, I dont need a personal trainer, saved me a bunch of money!

So give the new SHealth app a try and see if it can help you change your life!

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

I was recently introduced to Spigen cases from a fellow Product Ambassador and as a long time Otterbox loyalist I did some him-n-haws over trying another product. Now it’s not that I have only used Otterbox products on my devices, but there is something to be said for their consistency in product. My only real gripe with them is that I always felt their cases were chunky (yes - even the commuter series) and majority of the other products that tried to give you similar protection in a slimmer fit just did not seem to get it done for me. Enter Spigen. 

I took the leap and was able to get my hands on Spigen’s Slim Armor case & Neo Hybrid case for my Samsung Galaxy S5. From the get go I have to say I love the Slim Armor case, finally a manufacturer who has taken the time to create a quality slim line case with good quality protection. Here are the key things that stood out to my
on the Slim Armor case:

SpigenSlimArmorS5.JPG

DESIGN

I thought it was a great touch that Spigen opted to mimic the S5’s dot pattern texture on the polycarbonate back plate of the Slim Armor. It feels great in your hand and gives it a nice look when on a table top or surface face down. The ports are all cut very cleanly and easy to access. This is one area in other case that most issues arise.
Regardless of headphones or earbuds I have used the result is the same every time; easy-clean access. The case does not transform the phone body too much. It keeps a slim profile, while providing good protection. My favorite added feature is the soft touch, angled buttons that line up over the volume rocker and power button. Makes them easy to use and gives it a cool look.

SlimArmourComparison.JPG

DURABILITY

I don’t ever try to drop my phone, but having a 4 year old it happens. One area of protection which Spigen is very focused on (and for good reason) is the corners of the case. They use “Air Cushion Shock Absorption” technology on the corners to help reduce corner impact – which we all know is a key cause for spider web screen (aka – I just got my phone and now its broke syndrome - It's when your screen cracks so badly that it looks like a spider web). From personal accidental drops and a couple of test drops I have dropped my S5 form waist level direct on the corner and no breaks or damage. Great selling point for a slim line protective case.

(DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend you do this on your own phone on purpose. I chose to do this as a test of my personal device. If you do choose to do so you are responsible for your personal device – just saying)

QUALITY & PRICE

Straight out of the package you can see and feel the quality of the polycarbonate back plate and TPU casing. The TPU (or rubber stuff – yes, this is a technical term) is nice and thick but not chunky. You can feel the quality put into the TPU which gives it its protective qualities. Although we don’t currently carry these case in our stores at this time, the online availability is very accessible and the price in my opinion is very competitive (from $25-$30 depending on site and color).

FINAL THOUGHTS

I am still a big fan of Otterbox, but I have to say that Spigen has moved into my heart and onto my device as clear personal favorite. So if you are looking for an alternative to try these are great cases!

-YOUR SPRINT PRODUCT AMBASSADOR TEAM-

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

So playing around with the airview has been fun. There are so many uses, and it makes some things just alot more convenient. 

1. Hover over a date on your calandar and you can preview  the information, extend text, and enlarge pictures just by hovering. No need to touch the screen.

2. Hover over an album in your gallery to preview what pictures you have inside

3. Hover over the time bar on your video to preview a scene and show elapsed time of the video

4. Hover your finger over a number on your dial pad and preview the assigned speed dial contact.

You can simply  turn Airview on by going to Setting > Airview > On. Its that easy!

This i believe saves alot of time. No more opening thing, then scrolling through, then closing, then searching again. Just simply hove, and you see what you need to see without all the extra stuff that takes up your time!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

0 Comments

I have tried alot of cases out there. Trident, Otterbox, Bodyglove, and many more. But I must say that my favorite would have to be my Spigen case! This case is a perfect fit with an awesome design. Some cases just make the phone too bulky, i dont have this issue with my Spigen. It fits comfortably in my hand. Slippery? i think not. I hear alot of complaints about some cases that are slippery or hard to grip due to the looks, or style of the back. with this ther eis still a good amount of grip with the sides, but i also dont have an issue with the baack slipping at all.

The look of the case is very stylish and in my own opinion just looks so much better than most cases out there. The screen protector is actually very nice as well. It keeps the glare off, and just makes it so nice while protecting. Some screen protectors will either glare, mark, or just blur the screen, but not with this screen protector.

I have loved everything about this case, and have truly found my case from this point forward!

Galaxy S5 Case Tough Armor

0 Comments

I currently have 2 versions of Spigen cases for my Galaxy S5. The Galaxy S5 Case Tough Armor is the more rugged and a little bit bigger case.

Rugged.PNGRugged2.PNGRugged3.PNGRugged4.PNG

The thing I love most about the Spigen cases are the buttons.  I cannot tell you how many cases I have tried where the buttons have to be pressed really hard to register.  The Spigen case really allows for ease of use with buttons.  Now the more rugged of the 2 cases being the Tough armor adds a little width to the phone but not an annoying amount.  The spiderweb formation on the inside of the case allows for better shock absorption.  It leaves air pockets between your phone and case.  You can take it from me or read this review on their website:

Review tough armor.PNG

Now for those who like a slimmer case I also have a Galaxy S5 Case Neo Hybrid.

Neo4.PNGNeo3.PNGNeo.PNGNeo2.PNG

So I Love this case.  I like the ruggedness of the Tough Armor but I am a bigger guy so I really like having a slim case.  The Dual layer is something that I like alot.  With all the different colors also if your one to customize and match this case allows you to do so.  Another big complaint I have about some cases is my head phone jack will not fit all the way down to the phone.  The case pushes the jack out far enough not to get a good connection with the phone.  This is something Spigen has corrected by making the headphone jack hole wider.  I find the bumper surrounding the phone to be sturdy and very durable on impacts.  Partnered with metal buttons that are easy to push makes this case the winner for me.  Attached is a review:

Neo Review.PNG

But it is a preference issue and I must say both are excellent cases that I have enjoyed thoroughly on my Galaxy S5.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

First thing I do when I get a phone is to protect it. These things arent cheap and one drop could really cripple or complete destroy these beauties we love to use on a daily basis. However, most cases hide the beauty and design of the phone they are going on. Mostly, you are stuck in your choice of protection vs. form/beauty on the device. Not an easy choice. At least, not one I like to make. Well enter into Spigen's world of excellent form and function cases. I happen to stumble upon their Neo Hybrid case, and I immediately fell in love with its look and feel. Follow me:

spigen neo.jpg

Spigen chose to retain Samsung's choice of the perforated dot design on the Galaxy S5. This way, at least you still enjoy the design which may have been one of the reasons you bought the phone in the first place.

dash.jpg

This is a 2 piece case. It consists of a rubberized overall cover with a plastic ring around it to complete the look. The ring is customizable and there are several colors to choose from (see above). I happen like the blue.

The case is very slim and does not add much or anything at all to the size of the phone. The rubber back makes it easy to hold and use and the overall case allows it to protect it from those accidental dings and drops. I have dropped the phone once, and not a scratch on either the phone or the case (plastic ring mainly). However, the initial install was a bit finicky. It took me a while to get all the clips situated under the rubber case correctly. The box did not come with instructions on which direction you should slide the case into the plastic ring so it took a bit of trial and error.

Other than the install, I love this case and I wish I was aware of this brand for my previous devices.

Until next time

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Credit: Spigen.com

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Getting and staying healthy doesn't come easy or naturally for all of us. Some of us need a kick in the pants from time to time. Fortunately the 'kick in the pants' feature is built into the new S Health 3.0 and comes pre-loaded on the Samsung Galaxy S5.

Samsung describes some of the features of the latest version of S Health on their UK site.

"You may ask, why do we need heart rate sensors on our phones? Samsung’s approach to wellbeing is all about helping people improve their fitness through regular updates and helpful reminders. With this sensor, you will be able to easily keep track of vitals, whether you are doing a workout or you’re busy at work."

"The new and improved S-Health 3.0 provides personalised daily routines, along with target-setting functions and real-time coaching. These targets can be measured in steps taken, rate of speed, or distance travelled. And if you miss your targets, the S Health application is there to provide a friendly notification reminder. It’s like having a personal trainer always with you, but with less yelling."

They don't really call the feature "kick in the pants" but maybe they should. The S Health 3.0 app give you gentle reminders when you haven't logged any health activity. For example, because I switch phones fairly frequently I got a reminder today that I had not logged any steps in the S Health Pedometer or via my linked Gear Fit.

pedo-reminder.png

You can also use the S Health Coach by Cigna (Health) app within to set personal goals for health, activity, diet, sleep management, stress relief and well being.

Here's a snippet from the feature write-up on the Wall Street Journal "Score Better Health with Coach by Cigna on Samsung Galaxy S 5"

"Built on the experiences of Cigna's own health coaches, nutritionists, behavior specialists and nurses, Coach by Cigna offers digital health guidance with a personality, integrated within the S Health App. Coach by Cigna starts with answering a few lifestyle questions to create a user's lifestyle improvement plan involving exercise, nutrition, sleep, stress, and weight. The new digital health guidance system will be available to Samsung Galaxy S5 users in 36 countries and 26 languages."

"Users can personalize their health goals and tackle related missions that can be measured and scored using S Health App's native fitness tracking data. User progress is supported by Coach by Cigna motivational messaging, quantifiable health assessments, and achievement badges that help individuals record their own personal best in life."

These are a few of the great features that I really like about the new Galaxy S 5 and S Health 3.0. I hope you find the features as helpful as I do.

Until next time,

credit: Samsung UK, Wall Street Journal Online

0 Comments

Samsung_GS5_Gold_PVB.jpg

Hot off the presses, Sprint just announced that it'll carry the Galaxy S5 in gold.  Yes, gooooooooollldd!  OK sorry for the Austin Powers reference, but. pretty cool news especially for those of us that like a little bling in their ring.  AND, for if you purchase via Web and Telesales, there's a free Samsung gold Bluetooth headset in it for ya!

Check out the full PR:

Beginning Friday, May 30, Sprint customers can get their own Copper Gold Samsung Galaxy S® 5 paired with the super-high-speed network capability of Sprint Spark™ and the clarity of High-Definition (HD) Voice1 (available in select markets).

With Sprint Easy Pay, well-qualified buyers can purchase Samsung Galaxy S 5 with $0 down (plus tax) and 24 monthly payments of $27.09. Additionally, those who purchase and activate Samsung Galaxy S 5 through Sprint Web Sales or Telesales at 1-800-SPRINT1 get a matching Gold Samsung HM1900 Bluetooth® headset at no additional charge (a $39.99 value) while supplies last.

Featuring Android™ 4.4.2, KitKat, Galaxy S 5 features a gorgeous 5.1-inch Full HD Super AMOLED® display, powerful 2.5GHz quad-core processor to manage and 2,800mAh lithium-ion battery2 to keep the smartphone powered all day long. Additional key features include:

• Dual Cameras: 16-megapixel rear-facing Phase Detection Auto Focus camera with zero shutter lag, flash and video capture, and 2-megapixel front-facing camera with full HD recording at 30fps
  • S Health™3 helps plan meals with nutritional information, track and map workouts, and monitor heart rate with the world’s first built-in heart-rate monitor (HRM)
  • Faster browsing, streaming and downloading
  • IP67 water and dust resistant4
  • Fingerprint scanner allows users to quickly unlock the phone, granting them faster access with the touch of a finger.

Galaxy S 5 can be paired with Samsung Gear devices, offering comprehensive fitness tools with more features and capabilities than the everyday fitness band. Sprint offers Samsung Gear™ Fit for $199.99, Samsung Gear™ 2 Neo for $199.99 and Samsung Gear™ 2 for $299.99 (all prices exclude tax).

Galaxy S 5 is also available in Charcoal Black and Shimmery White.

Sprint customers can take advantage of Galaxy S 5 with the super-high-speed network capability of Sprint Spark, a unique combination of advanced network capabilities built for data delivering peak wireless speeds of 60Mbps today on capable devices, with the potential for speeds three times as fast by late 2015.5 It is available in 24 markets and expected to reach 100 million people by the end of the year.

HD Voice is available in 100 markets as part of the Sprint Spark build. Sprint expects 20 million customers to have HD Voice-enabled phones by year-end. Sprint HD Voice expands the normal voice call from a four-octave range to seven octaves to deliver crystal clear voice calls while helping to reduce unwanted background noise.

source: Sprint

The gold rush is coming!

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

box.JPG

Privacy has been a hot topic over the last few years and there is nothing more frustrating to be somewhere and have people looking

over your shoulder to see what you are doing on your phone or PC. I've seen privacy screens for laptops and those work great when you are traveling

and on a plane to prevent the people sitting next to you and seeing what you are doing.

Yesterday I had a great surprise show up and it was the Spigen GlasR Slim Privacy screen protector. I installed it this morning and man what a difference!

When looking directly at the device with the display off it makes the device look really really slick, The Samsung logo at the top of the screen does look dimmer

however when you turn your display on and are looking directly at the screen you can't even tell there is anything installed. However, try looking at the screen from the sides

and it completely disappears. I generally keep my brightness low and have noticed that I needed to turn it up slightly but not much, Even at full brightness in the sun its not difficult to

see the display.

The privacy screen is slightly raised up adding just a tad of thickness but even with it installed I don't have any issues with the Finger Print scanner and unlocking my Galaxy S5.

This is a great addition to improving your privacy from prying eyes whether its at your office, in public, or traveling!

30degree.JPG Oleophobic coating.JPG

chip resistant.JPG  9H Scratch Free.JPG

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Although you still have access to the Google play store, the Samsung apps provides a little more for Samsung phone owners.

With the Samsung Apps application, you can find all the apps you need for the Samsung phone (hence the name) these apps for the most part are specific to the Samsung phone (In this case, my GS5). This includes camera options, Galaxy Gifts (Free apps for your specific Galaxy phone provided by Samsung, Galaxy essentials (These are mainly apps for specific add-ons or devices such as the Gear or S-Pen accessories or applications as Milk Music, Watch on, Etc.) but also you can find just normal games, backgrounds, Etc.

So if your tired of scrolling through an endless amount of apps to try and find the one you need with Google Play, then go to your Samsung apps and get what you need in half the time!

You can situate these apps through Paid, Free, New, or All. This helps narrow down the search and time as well.

You can also find great deals on some of the apps that you may want. I just downloaded a few wallpaper apps that normally are 6.99 and got for free. So check regularly for the best deals!

So for any of your business, pleasure, entertainment, family, or just about any need for your Galaxy phone, be sure to check out the Samsung Apps!

Your Product ambassador team!

0 Comments

Capture.JPG

Last weekend I took my daughters to Great Wolf Lodge for some fun. We told our 4 year old we were going to an estate sale in Texas and would stay overnight.... the surprise worked and my Samsung Galaxy S5 went where other phones would not dare without some kind of case on it!

20140509_110136.jpg

Important Note: the Samsung Galaxy S5 is IP67 rated meaning it is water resistant and not waterproof.

Before I went into the water park area, I had to check a few things on my phone to make sure everything was sealed properly.

20140223_165620_1-580-90.jpg

1. Check to make sure charging port cover is sealed and fits flush to the phone.

2. Make sure back cover is properly sealed.

3. Gently press on the back cover to make sure all the snaps are secured

4. Inspect all edges to make sure there are no gaps

5. Gently press to the left of the camera and heart sensor to make sure that one has been snapped too

After making sure all of my seals were good, I was safe to enter the water park with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and take pictures... it was fun and interesting to watch others as i walked around with my phone taking pictures of my daughter having fun and not worried about messing up my phone when splashed.

Combo 1.JPG

Combo 2.JPG

My daughter was standing next to me as all this water came splashing down upon us.... it was lot of fun and my phone survived to take more pictures at the water park and more the next day....

20140508_184842.jpg20140508_192008.jpg

Once we were done for the day, I gently shook my phone to make sure there was not water in my mic and then wiped it down. Everything was still functional and I had no problems... I did have one person call me an idiot for bringing my phone into the water park and another said I was brave to bring it in there. I never submerged my phone or went under water with it as the phone is water resistant and not waterproof.

My Samsung Galaxy S5 took on many splashes, water dump and more the few days we were at the water park. We had fun and I was able to take many pictures of my daughters having fun....

Check out the Sprint Galaxy S5 at a Sprint store near you to take advantage of all the great features this phone has to offer...

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Samsung installed a very cool and interesting app on the S5 called Geo News. This app monitors the surrounding areas for earthquakes and wildfires and alerts you if there is any disasters instantly.

Screenshot_2014-05-14-17-09-51.pngScreenshot_2014-05-14-17-10-05.png

At least this afternoon everything was ok and calm, but in the past I have seen timely alerts for wildfires in the 50 mile radius of Kansas City. It is a very useful tool if you live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires.

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Have you ever wanted to keep certain files away from unwanted eyes?  Maybe someone borrowed your device to make a phone call, or they just want to check out some of it's cool features.  Maybe someone borrowed it to make a quick phone call THEN decided that they wanted to check out some of it's other features.  Samsung has created a solution for this by creating Private Mode on the GS5.  Private mode allows you to hide your files by password protecting specific photos, videos and audio files within Samsung's default Gallery, Video, Music, Voice Recorder and My Files apps.  You can choose to protect your files with a pattern, PIN, fingerprint or password.  This way only files that you approve to be safe for others can be viewed without your consent.

Here's how to enable it...

• Enable Private Mode by going to the settings or by doing a two-finger swipe down from the top of the screen
  • Read the description of the feauture and continue to follow the prompts
  • Set up your desired pattern, PIN, fingerprint or password when prompted

Here's a video explaining the set up.  Here is the link to the video.

Enabling the feature is only the beginning.  Remember, you can hide photos, videos and audio/music files in Gallery, Video, Music, Voice Recorder and My Files apps.  You can do so by opening up the desired app, selecting the files that you want to hide, tapping on the menu button and selecting Move to Private.

Screenshot_2014-05-12-10-54-40 resized 30.pngScreenshot_2014-05-12-11-41-51 resized 30.png

Until next time,

Dre

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

I've been playing with a great app called Samsung SideSync. It allows you to control your Galaxy device via pc or Samsung tablet.

PC_TABLET.PNG

Description from SideSync website

"Samsung SideSync is a new PC-Mobile solution that enables the screens, windows, and data to be shared easily between your Samsung PC and Galaxy phone or tablet. Now, the border between a PC and a mobile device has almost disappeared. Experience Samsung SideSync right now."

This is a great piece of software and app that allows you to connect your device to your computer or tablet (via wifi or USB) and control it. when connected to the pc its great being able to respond to text messages using a keyboard and mouse.

SideSync.PNG

Another great feature of SideSync is being able to transfer photos directly into document or presentation. Imagine you are working on a presentation for work or school and you have some photos that you want to include.

No need to email them to yourself or connect your phone and search the folder and figure out the pictures. With SideSync you can navigate your phones gallery and just drag and drop them into your presentation:

Insert photos.PNGsharing.PNG

What I like about SideSync is the ability to control your phone and respond to text messages from your pc, don't even need to pick up your phone anymore just respond thru your pc.

Requirements for SideSync:

SideSyncRequirements.PNG

SAMSUNG SideSync

0 Comments

Hello everyone

I have been using Milk music by Samsung on the Galaxy S5 and so far I like it a lot!  The dial reminds me of an old school radio tuner!  Enjoy the video demo and thank you for watching!

Your product ambassador team

0 Comments

DynamicNotifications

DynamicNotifications-560x331.jpg

Picture from APKGalaxy.com

DynamicNotifications allows you to receive important notifications when your screen is off. When you miss a call or receive a new email/SMS, the display will discreetly light up to let you know, without needing to unlock the device. Most phones only have a pulsing notification LED that doesn't actually tell you anything about the incoming notification - with DynamicNotifications, you can immediately decide if something is important enough to act.

Notifications don't light up when your phone is in your pocket, purse, or face down to avoid accidental unlocks

* Select which app-notifications you'd like to receive via DynamicNotifications

* Change the appearance of the app (custom foreground/background color/image, show the date near the clock, change the main notification border style, and more)

* "Custom timeout": Select for how long DynamicNotifications should be shown (Premium feature)

* "Breathing notifications": Let not yet dismissed notifications reappear after custom intervals (Premium feature)

* "Night mode": Don't show notifications at night (Premium feature)

* "Hide additional details": Hide additional notification details (e.g. SMS text, sender) (Premium feature)

* "Use as lockscreen": Use the app as a replacement for your stock lockscreen (Premium feature)

* "Auto-wake": Automatically turn on the screen when you pull the device out of your pocket or pick it up from lying face-down on a table

Pixlr Express

tumblr_inline_mud0jmNPrw1rmon24.jpg

Picture from blog.pixlr.com

Pixlr Express is a fun and powerful photo editor that lets you quickly crop, rotate, and fine-tune any picture, all in a completely ad-free experience. Choose from over 2 million combinations of free effects, overlays, and borders to further personalize your image. Pixlr Express makes you look like a pro, even if you’ve never edited a photo before.

• Easily crop, rotate and adjust images when saving and sharing.

• Choose from four pre-defined dimensions (or input your own custom dimensions) for fast and flexible image resizing after editing.

• Create and customize a photo collage by editing its layout, background, and spacing.

• Share your photo directly with friends through Facebook or email, or just save it back to your photo library.

• ‘Auto Fix’ photos for a one-click fix to balance out colors, adjusting for poor lighting conditions.

• Remove red-eye and whiten teeth with simple tools.

• Make your photo look like a drawing or sketch with stylize adjustments such as halftone, watercolor, and pencil.

• Explore the growing catalog of additional effects, overlays, and border packs.

• Overlays help adjust the mood of the photo – amplify the tone, cool it down, or add surreal shades.

• Lighting effects can add drama, sparkle, or a grunge look. Easily adjust the intensity and orientation of each effect.

• Finish off your editing process with the right border – pick a style that fits you.

• Look like a pro with cool photo effects such as focal blur, denoise, and more.

• Explore cool tools: easily adjust the contrast and brightness of your image, or focus on one color with the color splash tool.

• Keep track of your favorite effects and overlays with the favorites button.

Dashclock Widget

DashClock.png

Picture from Androidanalyse.com

DashClock is a replacement lock screen clock widget for Android 4.2+ phones and tablets. It also exposes additional status items called extensions. The widget comes bundled with extensions that give you instant access to:

• Your current local weather

• Missed calls and unread text messages

• Your next calendar appointment

• Unread Gmail inbox or priority inbox conversations

• Your next scheduled alarm

To add the widget to your Android 4.2 device's lock screen, first make sure that "Enable widgets" is turned on in your security settings. Then, simply swipe to the left-most page of your lock screen and touch the "+" icon. Finally, select "DashClock" to customize and add the widget. You can make this the primary lock screen widget, replacing the default clock, by first touching-and-holding it and then dragging it horizontally to the very rightmost position.

0 Comments

Samsung makes most of the largest phones on the planet, which comes to no surprise as they kind of lead the phablet space. But one thing most customers complain about phablets, especially folks with smaller hands that it is hard to use with one hand.

The Galaxy S5 is not a phablet, well if you compare it with today's specs but a 5.1" still could be overwhelming to some folks. Luckily, Samsung thought this through.

Introducing the new One-Handad Operation mode on the Galaxy S5. Unlike the version on the previous Notes' Samsung went beyond just shrinking a couple of apps like dialer, calculator and keyboard on this one. They actually shrunk the whole screen! Take a look:

Lets start with finding out how to enable it. Simply go to your settings, click the search button and type "one" and it will be the first option to select. Once there, just turn it on and read the instructions on how to enable it during use. Basically it takes a back and forth swipe from either left or right edge of the display.

Screenshot_2014-05-07-07-34-21.pngScreenshot_2014-05-07-07-34-26.png

Once enabled, check out the new size:

Screenshot_2014-05-07-07-34-39.pngScreenshot_2014-05-07-07-34-44.pngScreenshot_2014-05-07-07-35-04.pngScreenshot_2014-05-07-07-35-07.png

Amazing right? It puts the whole homescreen into a resizable window (kinda like the windows desktop OS). You can move the window to the left or right, make it larger or smaller, or any variation of the above. It also puts the home, back and volume buttons on the bottom for easy reach too. Although I dont use it much, I am sure many of our users would appreciate this feature if they find this device a little too big to use with one hand.

Until next time - Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

s5camera.png

We are fast approaching the "imaging singularity" where smartphone camera technology will one day be at parity with DSLR capabilities.  Arguably, many high end smartphones have already surpassed the capabilities of the typical point-and-shoot and with traditional camera sales on the decline, that industry is feeling the heat.  Though not quite up to SLR-type heights, the Android superphones of 2014 are already giving dedicated cameras a run for their money with more megapixels, better sensors, increasingly advanced camera software and feature matching as we have seen on recent flagship devices with things like the "bokeh" effect, a feature usually reserved for high end DSLR devices.

Cutting edge imaging tech is exemplified in the new Samsung's Galaxy S5 16MP shooter, and we came across some good tips courtesy of CNET to help you get the most out of the GS5's camera:

Tip #1: Check your defaults

Everyone has different tastes and styles when it comes to what they want out of a photo, and Samsung's default options may not be what you like. So be sure to check your default settings and tailor them to your preferences. Even if you don't consider yourself to be a serious photographer, it's good to dig into them anyway, so you know exactly what you're getting.

To access these settings, tap the little gear icon in the corner that appears on the camera's viewfinder. Then, scroll though the menu and tap the settings you want to turn on or off or adjust.

For settings you anticipate changing frequently, you can keep shortcuts directly accessible on the viewfinder's dash. Just long-tap any of these settings and drag them to the dash. HDR and Selective Focus are already listed as shortcuts, but you can swap them out. You can have up to three settings, so make them count.  Some settings that Samsung turns off by default that you should note are recording Ultra HD video, and video stabilization. You might not want them on by default either, but keep this in mind.

Tip #2: Make the HDR toggle your friend

You've probably seen HDR, or High Dynamic Range, mode before on several smartphones, but the GS5 now has the option to toggle real-time feedback of what your HDR image would look like before you take a picture.  HDR combines several shots taken at varying levels of exposures and composites it into one image. This can result in really striking, almost surreal, photos that have great contrast.  Sometimes, though, it can also create unnatural images that you might not like, so be sure to check by tapping on and off the HDR icon, which is represented by a little Venn diagram-looking icon. Once you like what you see, click the shutter.

Tip #3: Get to know the different photo effects

Third, familiarize yourself with photo effects. You can access some directly from the camera, nestled in the settings menu. It's indicated by the magic wand icon and you can preview what the filters will look like in real time. There are a number of effects to choose from (oil paste, cartoon, tint, and so on), but if you know you'll never use some of these effects, scroll to the end of the menu. Then, tap on "manage effects" and uncheck the filters you wish to hide.  Other effects can be applied after you click the shutter, which are accessible through the photo manager. Just go to your gallery, tap on the icon that has a Polaroid next to a pencil, and additional options will appear. Here, you can see a small "enhance" button. If you tap on that, your picture will be automatically edited and tweaked.

Near this circle is the wand icon that I mentioned before. Tap on this to view more filters like Pop Art, Impressionists, and Light Flare (this effect adds two lens flares to your picture and turns it into a low-budget J.J. Abrams movie).

Tip #4: Have fun with selective focus

Selective focus is a new GS5 feature that lets you change the focal point of your picture. By manipulating the depth of field, you can make pictures look more professional and even dramatic. We've seen this before in other handsets, like the Nokia Lumia 1020 and the LG G Pro 2, and it works the same way here. Because you have to turn this option on before taking a photo, it's good to have an idea about this feature while you're shooting. To turn it on, tap the icon with the two human heads in the camera viewfinder. For best results, stand at most 1.5 feet away from the closest object. The object itself should also be at least 4.5 feet away from the background.

Tap on the object you want in your foreground, and click the shutter.  It'll take a few moments for the handset to process. Afterward, head  to your gallery. To initiate selective focus, click on the heads icon  again.  Three options will emerge: Near, Far, and Pan focus. Near will bring your closest object into focus and blur out everything behind it. Far sharpens only the background, and Pan puts everything in focus. When you're finished, tap Done to save your changes.

Remember that while these are four basic things to keep in mind to get the most out of your camera, there are tons more editing features packed inside this device,. This should be enough to get you started, but if you have additional tips or questions, let me know in the reader comments below.

Source: CNET

And remember, not all is what it seems in terms of the available camera modes on the S5.  Selecting mode pulls up various options such as auto, Beauty Face, Shot & More, and Panorama, but selecting "Download" will also provide other add-ons available in the Samsung App Store.  Surround Shot is Samsung's implementation of Android's Photo Sphere and enables the user to take multiple pictures and pacth them together into a single shot that is beyond any Panorama Mode you have ever seen before.  Animated Photo lets you create a picture containing moving objects by animating certain parts of the picture via GIF. Sports Shot allows you to take clear pictures of fast moving objects which is perfect when trying to capture a homerun at the big game or your brother flying through the air on his snowboard.  Finally Sound & Shot is one of my personal favorites and lets you assign a sound file or "sample" to a photo that plays when you open the photo.  Great for really capturing the moment and giving the viewer a sense of being part of the action or event.  There's a great video here on the feature on the GS4.  Different device but essentially the same exact feature.

So go ahead, fire up that S5 camera and DON'T just be happy to take pictures in default mode.  You never know what you might be missing!

Until next time,

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the
company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint
devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador
shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this
post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not
represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond
to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

samsung-galaxy-s5-fingerprint-scanner.jpg

We all know the fingerprint scanner in the new Galaxy S5 is pretty cool.  In fact it's beyond cool; it's actually USEFUL.  I use it several times a day every time I unlock my phone and feel much more secure now than I used to with a pattern lock.  I love it and find myself swiping the home buttons of other Android phones only to be disappointed when they don't magically unlock like my S5 does.

BUT as much as I use it, I never realized that beneath that button, some pretty cool stuff was going on.

The scanner on the S5 is powered by Validity Inc, a company specializing in biometric security and authentication that was recently acquired by Synaptics.

Validity fingerprint sensors are the world's highest performance, most flexible and cost effective devices for handsets, tablets and notebook computers. The devices feature an industry-leading sensing performance using the company's patented LiveFlex™ technology that provides superior image quality with high-frequency RF imaging into the live layer of the finger.

Supported fingerprint  device implementations range from “invisible” under-glass sensors for handsets,  to home and power buttons for

mobile devices, and a variety of designs for  notebook computer palm rests.

The combination of low  cost, large sensing area, and design flexibility come from Validity’s patented  Chip-On-Flex architecture, in which the fingerprint IC is separate from the  sensing area. This contrasts with competing  devices in which the sensing area is the IC, which results in a tradeoff  between cost and performance and which limits design flexibility for  space-constrained devices.

For design  flexibility, Validity supplies products with SPI and USB interfaces. Security and encryption levels range from  full encryption for enterprise devices to Secure Match™ and One-Time Passwords  for consumer devices.  With an ultra-low 10µA finger detect current, the VFS61xx supports wake on finger for mobile  devices.

Validity provides  a full suite of development tools for both Windows™ and Android, speeding up  time to market for OEMs and ODMs wishing to incorporate Natural ID™ into their  designs.

Source: Validity

Validity prides itself on the accuracy of it's LiveFlex scanner solution for handsets and tablets, with a claim of one false swipe per million, more precise and scoring higher than any other solution out there, even Authentec's solution which powers the scanner on the iPhone 5S.  It also augments that accuracy with strong encryption of the print data and adds additonal features of precision by penetrating into the skin layer where fingerprints are formed to mitigate issues with misreads caused by dirt, callouses and other factors that can affect other readers.

Highest Performing Fingerprint Sensors  for Handsets, Tablets and PCs

Devices feature industry's best security, design flexibility, and touch navigation

Validity's patented LiveFlex® fingerprint sensor technology provides significant improvement over all other fingerprint sensor technologies by delivering industry-leading FAR/FRR performance with as few as one false accept in one million swipes with a nearly 100% enrollment rate. Validity sensors provide enterprise-grade security by taking a system-based approach extending far beyond simple password replacement. Validity sensors feature SecureMatch™ protecting system credentials by verifying the fingerprint sent to the host processor with the one matched on-chip; one-time passwords (OTP) for securing remote transactions; and RSA public key encryption, AES-256 data encryption, SHA-256 hash algorithm, and SSL cryptographic protocol for protecting the secrecy of fingerprint images, templates and other transmitted data.

With built in touch-based navigation functionality, Validity sensors also greatly enhance smartphone and tablet user functionality.  Full 360 degree cursor control is provided as is scrolling, simplifying navigation and selection with today's larger touch-based devices.

Patented LiveFlex Architecture

The company's Patented LiveFlex technology provides industry-leading fingerprint imaging performance through the use of high-frequency AM-modulated RF signals to penetrate into the skin's inner live layer to scan where the fingerprint is formed, minimizing effects due to dirty, worn, or calloused skin.   Additionally, the LiveFlex architecture separates the sensor from the IC, resolving fundamental cost challenges while maintaining excellent imaging quality by moving the fingerprint sensing elements off the silicon die.

LiveFlex sensors enable solutions ranging from invisible, under-glass sensors for smartphones; buttons for handsets and tablets; and the world's thinnest palm-rest designs for Ultrabook® computers.

In addition, their "Chip-on-Flex" implementation is more cost effective and involve smaller, more affordable components then other solutions out there.  This also allows the scanner to be placed into a myriad of button types, shapes, sizes and placements on the device, not just being relegated to the home button.

Chip-on-Flex (COF) Implementation

Validity sensors are constructed using a Chip-on-Flex (COF) architecture where a fingerprint IC (the "chip") is attached to a flexible circuit board (the "flex").  The flex consists of a very thin, low-cost metallized Kapton™ film, in which the metal traces patterned in the film form the sense elements of the fingerprint sensor.  These traces are both driven and sensed by the fingerprint IC.

This patented method of separating the sensor element from the IC allows Validity to follow a traditional die-shrink product roadmap while maintaining the highest performance and design flexibility.  This is in contrast to competing products where the sensor is the silicon, and therefore the silicon cannot be shrunk without severely degrading FAR/FRR performance, and where novel "invisible" sensor architectures cannot be readily implemented.

Buttons of Any Shape

Buttons provide another method of integrating fingerprint sensors into mobile platforms.  Virtually any shape is possible.  Shown above are round,  rectangular, and  rounded corner rectangular solutions. Contact Your local Validty representative for details on other shapes and sizes.

figure2.jpg

figure7.jpg

So maybe you never wondered about this.. maybe you did.  But it's kind of nice to be able to look beyond the layers of the finished product and find out how features like these tick.

Maybe that's just the tech geek inside of me, but we hope you have enjoyed this anyway.

Check out the Slashgear Hands-On of the scanner if you haven't had a chance to play with an S5 yet:

Until next time,

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

s5paypal_logo.jpgpaypal+splash.JPG

There are some pretty cool things going on in the world of mobile payment, and Samsung and Paypal are at the forefront with the ability to use your fingerprint to authorize payments and transfers on the new Galaxy S5.  Infinitely more secure than a 4 digit PIN or password, fingerprint scanning is the next frontier of biometric authentication for mobile, and what better area to explore than mobile and what better device to push the boundaries on than the excellent GS5?

We've already walked through how fingerprint scanning works on the GS5..

Sprint Product Ambassadors: How Does the Galaxy S5 Fingerprint Scanner Work?

.. but let's take a closer look at how to set your fingerprint up with Paypal.

First of all, you'll need to download the Paypal app from Google Play, currently version 5.4.3.  Initially, the version that worked with the GS5 was version 5.4.12 and was only available via the Samsung Apps store, but an even newer version is now in Play.

Next, you'll need to set up the fingerprint scanner on the GS5 to link your print to your Paypal account.

Tap the Menu button on your phone.

• Tap Settings.
  • Tap Finger Scanner.
  • Tap Pay with PayPal.
  • Tap Install.
  • Tap Link.
  • Tap Link Fingerprint if you already have a PayPal account, and then log in to it. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you’ll need to sign up for a one.
  • Download PayPal app (if not already installed)

You will have to log in to your PayPal app at least once using your email and password or mobile phone number and PIN before you start seeing Fingerprint as a login option.

Once you are all set up, you can launch the Paypal app and get logged in.  From there, you will be presented with a menu:

paypal+menu.png

If you choose to transfer money (for example), once you tap Transfer, you are prompted to scan your fingerprint:

paypal+fprint+login.png

Once that's done, boom, you're in!  Simple as that!

paypal+transfer+screen.png

Super convenient, easy to set up and secure; what more could you ask for in a mobile payment option?

Try it, you'll like it!  We know we do!

Until next time,

Disclaimer: