cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Quick S6 unboxing video (with a surprise!) and First Impressions

Journeyman

S6_lockup.jpg

(source)

I never do unboxing videos, but I had to do one for the S6 because I was somewhat surprised to find

what was in the box...headphones!  I have had the privilege of reviewing many devices in the last

year, from low-end to flagship, and the trend of skimping on accessories has been seen throughout

the smartphone world, even affecting USB cables/charges in some cases, so it was quite surprising

surprising to find headphones in the box.  Samsung is trying to set itself apart from its competitors,

and by doing small things like this, along with vigorously working to provide stellar build quality and

improved software performance, they gain good will from everyone, including people that have not

have not historically been Samsung phone fans, or android fans in general.  I didn't have a tripod,

or a dedicated camera, so excuse any similarities to Blair Witch or Paranormal activity in

recording style.

Unboxing video

The rest of the box comes with the standard stuff: Sim card removal tool, warranty/manual (the paper

stuff), a USB cable with the fast charger, and, of course, the phone.  Something to note about the

"Black" version of the phone that is recorded in the video:  it's actually a very dark blue.  It's obvious

when in a well lit area.  I would recommend stopping by a Sprint store to check it out before deciding

on the color, if that type of thing is important to you, but I love it.  I should note, though, that blue

happens to be my favorite color.  You can see the blue hue in the picture above. 

My first impressions of the device can be summed up in one word: enamored.  That says a lot,

considering I have never been a big fan of Samsung phones, or anything but Vanilla android.  Build

quality seems solid and stunning.  Touchwiz is much smoother and more stable than I remember.

Something I'm adjusting to is the position of the volume rocker.  It's a little higher up than the power

button, but it makes total sense to put it where they did.  On other phones, I tended to hit the power

button when trying to change volume (in cases where the power button was on the opposite side of

the volume rocker).  The positioning Samsung has chosen is actually more logical, but I have adapted

to touching those physical buttons a certain way, so now I'm adjusting to a better way. 

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised.  I'll be writing a full review once I've had more time to get to know the

thing.  In the meantime, head over to a Sprint store and check it out for yourself.  It's definitely worth the

time.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee