cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Samsung Wireless Qi Charging Pad Unboxing

Sprint Product Ambassador

Do you find it a hassle to be always pulling your phone in to charge at your desk? Do you often think it would far more convenient to just set the phone down at have to charge on the spot? Perhaps you just like to have cool new things before the crowd catches on. If you can answer yes to any of these questions then a wireless charging pad for your new Galaxy S6 Edge is for you.

For my first wireless charging experience I have gone with the Samsung Wireless Charging Pad that retails at full price for $49.99. The pad uses Qi (pronounced chee) inductive technology to charge the GS6 and other compatible devices when placed correctly.

I am pretty cheap and must admit that paying 50 bucks for a something to set my phone on was a bit of stretch for me. Especially now that I have grown accustomed to the adaptive fast charging capability with the out of the box plug in charger of the GS6. Nonetheless, new is cool and I like being cool.

charging pad.jpg

There are also many other Qi charger devices on the market that can be found at a lower price point if you want to start at a lower price.

The Samsung pad has an attractive design and the size is not obtrusive on my desk at all. The glowing halo with the charging status adds neat visual so I know at glace if I am fully juiced or still in progress.

There is of course one drawback in that the device is not charging when taken off the pad. This takes away the advantage of being able to charge the phone with a plug in and still handily use for talking and surfing.

Here is a link to the youtube version of the unboxing.

Keep in mind that although wireless, the pad itself does require to be plugged into a power source using the 2 AMP USB cable that is included. It is important to note the included warning, “requires 2 AMP charging cable. Use of improper power source may result in damage to charging pad.” I am confident that other 2 AMP chargers will work fine but to be safe I am sticking with the power source that came with the pad.

Be sure you are not plugging the pad into a high AMP charger or some other that may damage your new fancy charging wiz machine.

The Qi charging standard is working hard to be the wave of the future with even IKEA getting in the game with furniture, lamps and other items on the way in 2015 that will have this capacity. Imagine having your device charge wirelessly while lounging at the coffee shop, airport and other places. This convenience has the possibility to be very popular as the standard grows.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee