cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: The Galaxy S We've Been Waiting For

Journeyman

Sprnt_GS6_gld_600x600_xlarge_grp_1.jpg

I’ve long since been a fan of the Galaxy S line since the beginning. Samsung has faced some

adversity recently. Declined sales. Criticism for not using premium materials and having

inconsistent software experience. Samsung needed a killer flagship for 2015 and that is

exactly what they have delivered. This phone feels like they literally went back to the drawing

board and decided to rebuild it from scratch. We’ve grown accustomed to one or two major

upgrades with minor evolutionary upgrades sprinkled in here and there but the S6 is one of

the biggest single iteration leaps that I can remember. In my opinion, this phone is definitely

worth a one year upgrade if you can afford it. Although there are a few, I have listed my

favorite upgrades below.

Hardware Design

Samsung completely revamped the design of last year’s Galaxy S5. The S6 features

aluminum around the edges and Gorilla Glass 4 on both the front and back a

definite upgrade and a complete 180 degrees turn away from the typical plastic that we’ve become

accustomed to from the Galaxy S line. The device is thin and gorgeous. There are a couple

drawbacks that may turn off some users. Gone are the removable battery and memory card

slot. Samsung is betting that consumers will value the sleek new design over those two

practical features. I tend to agree when it comes to the removable battery. The fast charge

works so quickly that I have not felt the need for a spare battery. The memory card slot on

the other hand I would’ve loved for them to squeeze it in somewhere but I guess that’s the

price you pay for beauty. Still 32, 64 and 128 GB versions are available for those that

absolutely must have more storage.

Fingerprint Scanner

Last year Samsung debuted their version of the fingerprint scanner on the S5. For the most

part it seemed to work fine however it required swiping your finger across the home button

which made it a little awkward to use with one hand. This time around Samsung has hit a

home run with the fingerprint scanner. I was able to set up fingerprints for my thumbs and

index fingers on both hands in less than 5 minutes. There is no more swiping required. All

you have to do is put your registered finger on the home button and voila the device does the

rest. After a couple weeks of using the fingerprint scanner I have come to the conclusion that

it simply works. Every single time!

Touchwiz

Sammy didn’t just focus on hardware upgrades. They also focused on refining the software

experience as well. The user interface, dubbed Touchwiz has had a love/hate relationship

with Galaxy series owners for some time. It’s been known to pack tons of added features and

some of what many would call gimmicks however it’s caught the most flack for being a little

inconsistent at times. This time around, the software feels much lighter and more efficient.

Rather than completely dominating the OS it actually seems to complement Android Lollipop’s

Material Design language. Navigating from one screen to the next is fast and the multitasking

is very smooth as well. It’s not just the user interface that has been updated however.

Samsung apps such as S Health, the stock email app and the stock internet browser app

have all been improved as well. Even the Samsung Keyboard (which I’ve never been a fan

of) feels much more user friendly and accurate. Oh yeah, remember the annoying water

(bloop) sounds that were turned on by default? Gone! The default sound is much more

subtle and because of that I’ve actually decided not to turn it off as I would in the past.

Feel free to comment on your experiences or thoughts about Samsung's new flagship.

See you soon,

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee