cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handoff Algorithm

Highlighted
Journeyman

Handoff Algorithm

Whenever I have WIFI on I get zero bars and no LTE icon. If I turn wifi off , I immediately get full or close to bars and the LTE icon. Therefore, as I move around, people are constantly telling me they call and I dont get the call, or the call is constantly dropping, or no data based app will work. I will have to manually turn off WIFI and then things will work again.I guess they are kicking people off the LTE network who have a wifi connection to save capacity, but the dynamic checking and handoff algo is not smooth or predictable and constantly involves my interaction to get the phone to perform which is not really acceptable anymore since almost all apps require data. Fix?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Handoff Algorithm

Hmm I have'nt checked this since I just updated to Nougat but you might make sure that the Sprint Connection or something like that is turned off. I know prevsouley that there was a Sprint Option that was added where if your cell singal was low it would switch your wifi on. It looks like on Nougat it's not there and it might have not been on the prior update as well. So I would make sure to check your Celluar Settings and I useally recommend folks to have it set to Automatic.. 🙂 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wifi "smart network switch" is set to "On" in the wifi settings.

For mobile network I had it set to "automatic", but in the DC metro urban area I always had next to no bars and no LTE. Sprint at that time told me to switch "network mode" to "CDMA" during the rocky S6 rollout where apparently tons of people were having problems like me with getting less reception with the S6 than with their old phones in the same location.

Highlighted
Wizard

Yeah turning to CMDA only kind of makes sense due to the area you might be in it might help to get a better signal. Again no matter who your carrier is or the device some areas will work better than others its always been that way. For the most part I still always recommend everyone keep it set to Automatic and I would Off Wifi Smart Switch there no reason to have anything Wifi related to the device turned unless your using it has a hotspot. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat