Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Sprint Visual Voicemail Notifications after 5.1 update?

Go to solution
Journeyman

How to stop Sprint Visual Voicemail Notifications after 5.1 update?

First I use Google Voice and always have. I've tried the usual methods of clearing app data and cache.  Long time Android user but this one stumps me and only now after the upgrade to 5.1 has this been an issue. TIA!

-Rod

34 REPLIES 34
Journeyman

No it has not come back.  However there are a few places where you can control notifications and I have them all turned off and it came back on Friday night again. 

Settings > Applications  Purge Data and Cache

Settings > Sounds and Notifications  Stop all elements there as applicable

In the App Itself turn off Notifications there and also turn off the Free Trial

From the Notification itself (long press and turn every applicable thing off there as well

Purge the cache partition

Keep in mind that I use Google Voice services.  I had done all of these things and it came back Friday night and was gone by midday on Saturday.

Also your mileage may vary depending on your apps and such.  Try this for your myplaces issues.

Hope this helps,

-Rod

View solution in original post

Journeyman

My 2 S6 's after the 5.1 update shows 2 voicemails pending notifications and an icon.  There are no voicemails for either phone. 

The only way I found to clear was to go to: Setting, Applications, All files, drop down to the 3rd phone icon and stop it. 

However each time the phone is turned off and on, it reappears and have to do the same process to end.   This is happening on both of my phones.

When will there be and update to fix?

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem with my S6 after the update.  I've updated PRL, profile, soft reset, and factory reset.  After the factory reset it was ok for more than 8 hours but then popped up again.  I had an old voicemail that I never listened to before I factory reset the phone.  I called voicemail and deleted the message. I then updated PRL and profile. Notifications disappeared for now. I'll let you know if it comes back.

UPDATE: The 4 phantom voicemails came back a couple of hours ago....

Please share if you find a permanent solution.

I would go to Samsung for support, but this update seems to only be affecting sprint carrier.  Sprint's customer and tech support on this issue has been horrible. It would be nice if Sprint acknowledged the problem and let us know they are working on a solution to fix this bug in the update with their voicemail server.

Thank you,

Message was edited by: GEC35

Journeyman

I'm having the same issues! Very frustrating!!

Journeyman

I am having the phantom VM problem after 5.1.1 update on S6.  This is CRAZY.  Every tech person tells me to clear cache and that solves the issue temporarily but within 24 hours BAM the VM notification returns.  I have no VM in my mailbox.  I factory reset and it came back.  There is no way we can simply "contact Samsung" when it's a Sprint issue. This happened with my S4 a few years ago and there was never a solution.  I just ended up using cyanogenmod for a year or so until I could upgrade to the S6.  That is not an option this time.

Journeyman

I was just curious if the steps you outlined are still working? Still no phantom voicemail notifications?

6850buggypilot wrote:

No it has not come back.  However there are a few places where you can control notifications and I have them all turned off and it came back on Friday night again. 

Settings > Applications  Purge Data and Cache

Settings > Sounds and Notifications  Stop all elements there as applicable

In the App Itself turn off Notifications there and also turn off the Free Trial

From the Notification itself (long press and turn every applicable thing off there as well

Purge the cache partition

I tried these steps several hours ago, and I haven't seen the phantom voicemail notification come back yet, but like every other attempt, I expect it will come back in the morning.

Journeyman

It's worked for me.  I have not had any issues with the VM notification problem coming back.

Thanks.

-Rod

Journeyman

Stil having issues here.  I went to a sprint store yesterday and she turned of the phone and  after about 2 minuets it showed up.   She did a phone reset and went away, then I left the store and it cam back about 20 minuets later. 

This morning I have a Data Roaming Notification doing the same exact thing.

Like I mentioned in my first post.   I went into apps and all apps and the 3rd phone icon  and cleared the cache and it cleared out the data icon and notification on screen.

It appears there is a issue in the call or phone program. I have to complete this procedure for both data and voicemail icons and notification.

How hard is it for someone to look at this area of the phone or update and let me know if you can fix it.  It looks like a Sprint solution is needed not Samsung.

Thanks, TK

Journeyman

Turn you phone off an on and then check. After I cleared out the cache, I had not issues until you turn the phone off and back on.  FYI.

Journeyman

My second line is now having the issue of the phantom VM's (again) and the Data Roaming Notification started to pester me and I could not make an outgoing call.  I  followed the steps I posted above and Sprint tech said to ##72786# and see if it does the job! (re-provision)

Time will tell.  Not holding my breath on this one.

Thanks,

-Rod

Message was edited by: 6850buggypilot

Please not that these new welcome voice mails this time were empty of text or audio and contained only subject entries! I think that there's more here than meets the eye. 

Journeyman

I have had this issue for almost 3 weeks now. Ever since I updated to 5.1.1. I am 100 percent sure this is a sprint issue. The network is seeing something that is no there. I have worked with sprint on this and have done everything they asked. Updated PRL, Profile, reactivation everything. Fix this issue now.

Journeyman

On my wife's phone the pesty VM issue has splashed across the lock screen AGAIN! This is getting VERY old!  Not sure what to short of a different carrier?

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat