Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE icon flickering when connected to WiFi

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

LTE icon flickering when connected to WiFi

Yesterday I noticed the LTE icon on the status bar keeps flickering on when I'm connected to WiFi.  When I view Mobile network state in settings I'm also seeing it flash Connected and then go back to Disconnected.  I installed the latest update, G920PVPU3CPF4, but it's still doing it.  Searching the web I haven't found any other similar reports.  I have a feeling it's draining the battery as well, the phone feels warm and the battery is draining quicker than usual.

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LTE icon flickering when connected to WiFi

In addition to the LTE icon on the status bar flickering when connected to WiFi, Cell standby was listed as the highest in battery usage, which is unusual since it's usually much lower in the list.  After two days of this issue, the problem magically went away.  I'm guessing this may have been caused by a network issue, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

In addition to the LTE icon on the status bar flickering when connected to WiFi, Cell standby was listed as the highest in battery usage, which is unusual since it's usually much lower in the list.  After two days of this issue, the problem magically went away.  I'm guessing this may have been caused by a network issue, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

View solution in original post

GrandMaster

i know with my HTC One M9 it will show either wifi or a data connection but i dont ever remember seeing both. by chance was your wifi connection dropping when you noticed this? it might have dropped but still showed a connection because it was trying to reconnect.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It was doing it when I was connected to the network at work as well as when it was connected to either of the two routers I have at home, including when I was about 5 feet from the router, so I don't think it had anything to do with the quality of the WiFi connection.  It seemed to being doing it at a regular interval of about every 5 seconds.  This started on Friday and despite installing the latest update, updating PRL, and trying different configuration settings the problem remained.  Saturday had the same problem, and then on Sunday without making any changes whatsoever the problem went away; no more LTE flicking on while connected to WiFi and battery usage is back to normal.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

thats strange. which update was it that you did aside from the profile and prl update?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I upgraded from G920PVPSUCPD3 to G920PVPU3CPF4, but this started before the upgrade and continued after the upgrade before going away on it's own.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i know most phones have under wifi advanced settings an option to drop back to mobile data if the wifi connection is a bit hit and miss..there have been scenarios out there where the phone was misreading the wifi connection and even though it was plenty strong it still kicked back to mobile data and back and forth..once that was turned off there werent any issues..but yours sounds like something was boogering up in there and it finally righted itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just started having the exact same issue as JHLIGHT yesterday.  I'm on a strong wireless network, yet the LTE flashes above the mobile bar area on the status bar every few seconds.  I, too, noticed that the battery usage for Cell Standby is the highest in the list. 

My network mode is set to automatic.

I have manually turned off mobile data in an effort to save my battery life.

Updating the PRL and profile did not resolve the issue here either.

The "correct answer" shown above doesn't really provide a solution.  Is there a solution or do I need to just wait and hope it resolves itself?

Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat