cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

I honestly think its a sprint problem because then other carriers would be having the same issues. I think its the way sprint programed the phones to work on there network. Just a guess.

Journeyman

I thought sprint gave samsung special hardware specs in building sprint phones. For instance radios etc. If I knew that it wasnt a hardware issue I maybe would take a chance on a future software update to fix this issue. I just dont want to wait and lose my chance of returning and find out that a new hardware edition of the phone fixed the issue and I'm stuck with the older edition phone and the issue.

Its good to know that there are issues on the newer plans. That eliminates the plan.

Journeyman

REQUEST TO SPRINT TECH SUPPORT -

Please provide some response regarding this issue as a good number of us need to make a decision regarding return of our phones in the next couple of days.

I know that you said you would post when you know more, but in the meantime there is an issue which involves real money and people's time, so please advise as to the best course of action to take right now.  Alternatively, provide a waiver of the 14-day return period.

Thank you.

Journeyman

I also have the same problem, called sprint (trobleshooted the phone for 45mins).   I clealry illusatred it to them when on CDMA the signal is better but doesn't solve the issue (new phone and old tech CDMA with 3G).  I escalated this to a manager today and he asked me  bring the phone to the store to waste more of my time.

This message is to Sprint, I have been with you 11 years and now looking to leave.   Take ownership here and fix the issue and/or start giving folks credits until you do.  New phone with no service is like a new car without tires, useless.   I used the phone for bussiness, left up to you I would be out of bussiness.

Journeyman

I see people talking about the bands and such. Just to keep it on track, keep in mind that the bands are not the source of the issue for THIS particular issue. For example, in my situation and you'll notice others as well, speed check app shows full speed is coming through.

The problem lies somewhere in the software on the phone that does not allow the data to flow through to certain apps. This is the same reason you see people mentioning that the Facebook app will not load at all however you can access Facebook.com through the Web browser and it loads perfectly fast. That issue would not have anything to do with the band that the phone connects to.

Journeyman

I have the S6 Edge.

Had five dropped calls between Germantown, MD and Bethesda, MD today, primarily along route 270.  I never had dropped calls with the S4 in this area.  Phone was unobstructed and sitting on the passenger car seat.  Only one of the dropped calls had fade (in Bethesda driving slow), the others were instant drops (on interstate driving fast).    Last week I was on the same route and had dropped calls at the same locations at the beginning of the route (I gave up on calling after that).  I can always immediately call back after the dropped call.  Usually when you have a dropped call due to distance of a tower and poor signal strength, the problem persists for a little bit of time as you have to close distance to the tower.

I recently drove from Bethesda to Annapolis, mostly on 95, 495, 50, and 301.  The call lasted about 50 minutes (ha, was dealing with Sprint support so they had to bounce me around to four different people and ask me the same questions each time).  Anyhow, not a single dropped call, even when I went into a parking garage.  This route still seems to have a lot of non Spark towers whereas the route I had all the dropped calls on is showing as completely Spark according to the Sprint coverage map.

As a side note, at home my S6 does connect to my AIRAVE.  Also, if I’m stationary the phone connection seems fine and sound quality is excellent even when the connection bars are low.

Educated guess is that something with the Spark Network causes tower switching issues when you are on an active call with either of the S6 phones, unless you downgrade your phone to CDMA (which is even being eliminated in third world countries as outdated).  I think it will be addressable through a software tweak either on the carrier or phone side, but Sprint and Samsung need time to figure it out and being Spark and the S6 are huge rollouts for each of them, they are attempting to keep things quiet and probably won’t admit to a problem until they have a solution or mainstream media picks up on the problem and they are forced to respond.

The main decision point for us is do we take the risk and wait for a fix or dump our phones and possibly carrier while we are in the 14 day return period?  Legally, I think you can make a case against Sprint as they charge a premium for non 3G-CDMA service on many of the plans with these phones.  I would encourage people to complain loudly about it as it’s obviously not an isolated issue.

Journeyman

i couldn't of said it better myself. you are definitely experiencing the same problems I'm having.and I believe you are 100 percent correct about that and not being able to flow freely to certain apps. my 4G LTE works fine except for on apps.

Journeyman

S6 Edge

I've been having the same issues. My dropped calls have been insane. I'm watching the signal jump up and down and having issues with 4G staying stable. I've switched over to CDMA and have had a solid 4 bars that haven't budged.

On another note, I put a call into Sprint Customer Support. Either Sprint is telling their agents to act like this is the first time they're hearing these issues or they're truly not informed. Either way, both would be an issue. Sprint needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge that they have either a hardware/software issue and let us know where we stand as customers. I hate being treated like I'm dumb. This issue is way to obvious.

Journeyman

S6, non-Edge.

The phone stopped dropping calls once I forced it to CDMA (3G). Which is an unacceptable solution, since I'm being charged an extra $10 monthly fee for 4G service.

This will be my last week as a Sprint customer.

Journeyman

I am experience the same issues in Minneapolis/St. Paul.  Certain apps, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Google Music, will not load while on spark or load very slow but will load fine on WiFi.

Journeyman

In Sprint Spark coverage everything loaded great, play store, Facebook and whatnot, speed test below.

http://1drv.ms/1JczVWD

Coverage at home, everything slow as hell, even though the lady's phone has excellent service sitting right next to me. Speed test below.

http://1drv.ms/1HWs4uC

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm happy to see that Sprint has acknowledged the issue and states that they are working with Samsung to find out what the issue it.  And I understand that it can take more than a few days/weeks to troubleshoot and come up with a solution, but what I don't understand is what are we supposed to do in the mean time?  Along with everyone else who purchased this phone on release date, we only have 2 days left to decide what we are going to do.  Outside of these connection issues I love the phone, camera is amazing, smooth operation, beautiful design, I really want to keep this phone. 

I was able to do some connection/speed testing today, while out of town for a conference I was able to see how much my signal jumped around all while I was sitting in the same spot for hours.  I decided to take some notes and log my speed tests, signal strength.  During this time period my phone stayed connected to LTE (could have been the fact that I had a seat right next to the window during my meeting). 

10:54am – 3-5 bars LTE, 6-7 mbps download, and 1-2 mbps upload

10:59am – 1 bar LTE, 7-8 mbps download, and 1-2 mbps upload

11:00am – 1 bar LTE, 16-17 mbps download, and 4-5 mbps upload speed

1:38pm – 5 bars LTE, 3-4 mbps download, Signal Strength was -88dBm 52 asu

1:41pm – 1 bar LTE, 11-12 mbps download, Signal Strength was -101 dBm 39 asu

These are only samples of all the tests I performed, since this posting won’t allow me to upload the screenshots I’m sharing them from my OneDrive acct (http://1drv.ms/1FfR53g). All these results were performed while sitting in the exact same spot right by a window in Phoenix, AZ (85012).   No noticeable obstructions or changes to outside environment during this time period, nothing that would obviously affect signal.  I don’t understand why the signal would fluctuate so much and I also don’t understand why the speeds at times would be faster when it only had 1 bar LTE.  I should also note that it never lost LTE but when I went back to my hotel a block away I would only get 3G.  I’m going to test some more tomorrow when I’m back in Denver where I originally noticed the poor reception, in my office my S6 typically doesnt pick up LTE at all whereas my Moto X would get full bars of LTE.

Hopefully this information helps Sprint or helps another user make a better informed decision. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat