cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

I received my new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.  I am only receiving 1 bar throughout Cincinnati area.  Dropped calls, missed calls, calls sent to voicemail have been quite common over the past few days.  Here are two zip codes and addresses where signal used to be rather good and now... nothing.

45227  cross streets: Desmond Street and Kenwood Avenue

45238  cross streets: Ferguson Road and Glenway Avenue

Colleagues and friends of mine who also purchased the Samsung Galaxy S6 are experiencing the exact same issue that I am experiencing.

Message Title was edited by: SeaWolf
Just edited the title, since we're reporting on and monitoring this one for updates.

226 REPLIES 226
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah I use an app called Signal Check to monitor my signal so I can always see my actual signal strength.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I installed the patch and have had ZERO dropped calls since I updated last night.  My normal commute home I was able to talk on the phone the entire time.  Same thing this morning.  Zip codes 01915 to 01843 in Massachusetts.  Great News!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info Ninja_CJ,

After the update I'm able to having conversations on my S6 Edge in my house without the call dropping.  before this was impossible.  I'm also noticing a better hand off from LTE to the other networks as I drive around without losing data connections.  My signal strength (according to the "Network Signal Info Pro app") has ranged from -108 to -102 LTE in most areas I've been in since the update; however, the signal strength bar on my phone never shows more than one bar.

I'll have to take my phone to the Sprint store.  About two weeks ago the phone screen was stuck in portrait and would not rotate to landscape when I turned the phone.  This started working again after then update even though the sensor test still shows my x axis is stuck at -32768.

After this update, my only big complaint is that we still cannot do voice and data at the same time.  I was hoping Sprint would enable this functionality.   Coming from an S3 that could do this, it's a big step backward.  Some people may not consider this an issue or probably more likely don't realize what is going on.  I use my Waze app to commute to my job.  I also use my in-car Bluetooth to talk on the phone at the same time.  While the GPS will continue to track my location on the Waze app, real time traffic changes will not be communicated at the same time I'm on a voice call.  My S3 had no issues providing voice and data at the same time.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

The Spark devices are Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback (eCSFB) devices and technically cannot do CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously.  eCSFB is necessary to manage the multiple frequencies of the Sprint network for both voice and data.  Without eCSFB, it would be impossible from an antenna design and component perspective to fit all of the radios into a phone.  While we understand your frustration about not being able to do simultaneous voice and data, the architecture of the network does not allow us to support it.  Your old GS3 only supported one LTE band (band 25, the "workhorse" band of our LTE.. great range but not the fastest we have), but could not access the vastly superior speed of our other LTE bands which make up Spark, specifically band 41 using 2.5Ghz which is where the peak speeds of 60Mbps occur.  So it's a bit of a trade off, do you talk and surf on slower data or talk when you need to then switch to much faster data on your device to enjoy streaming music, video and videochat?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

You aren't going to see voice and data on any Spark device currently without voice over LTE being implemented. Your S3 was able to do it because it could have 2 radios run at once so it could connect to voice using one and data using the other, but the complexity of devices required for Spark compatibility would make this extremely expensive to do with them until voice can be done using the LTE connection, negating the need for the second connection for voice. So until Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is implemented on Sprint's network it won't be possible and which if any of the existing Spark devices will be VoLTE capable is also unknown.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So when can we expect the reception issue with the galaxy s6 to be resolved???  I have installed every update successfully and changed every setting as instructed, and my reception remains exactly the same.  Do i have to return the phone in exchange for a new one, or do i have to switch carriers?  IS Sprint or samsung working on a fix for this problem?  There is either something inherently wrong with the phone or Sprint's service is as bad as i have read about.

When can we expect an answer?  Something needs to be done now because it is not worth keeping the phone or the service at this at this point.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

would help if you went into a bit more detail. are you trying to say the bars are showing as low? youre dropping calls? and by every update are you also meaning you downloaded the most recent one that came out a day or so ago?

post what software version your phone is currently on.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I already mentioned the issues in a previous post Fireguy, and they're the same issues that everyone else is having in this forum.

- 0-1 bars 90% of the time - I can stay in the same exact location and the phone will switch to 4 bars to 1 bar instantly and stay there

- constant dropped calls

- Poor reception or no reception at all

- Phone switches to roaming often

I live right outside Philly - 19460 area code.

I changed to all the recommended phone settings and downloaded the latests software OE2 and nothing has changed - not even a little bit.

So when can we expect a fix???  is Sprint going to reimburse its customers for the almost nonexistent service that we've had to deal with since owning this phone?  It's obvious by the original posts, that sprint has known about this since the new s6 was launched.  This is outrageous that we have to deal with this type of signal coverage in 2015. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

last page.

Update available for the Galaxy S6 / S6 edge ~OE2 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

One signal bar on this phone doesn't actually mean it is necessarily receiving a signal nearly as weak as you think. It's sad to say but on this phone and several other Spark phones the signal bars can't be used as a very reliable indicator of how good of a signal the phone has when on LTE due to an ongoing flaw in the way these phones are set to show LTE signal bars.

The problem with the signal bars is that when the phone's signal hits a reading of -100dBm RSRP which is a perfectly good signal, it shows as one bar where as a much lower signal around around -115dBm to -120 dBm RSRP is more deserving of a one bar rating. Since LTE signal can easily range from -80 dBm to -120dBm RSRP and be perfectly usable and somewhere around -85dBm RSRP is shown as full signal bars it means the way things are now on these phones the bars cover at best about half of the range of signal that is usable making it a very poor representation of the signal your phone actually has. It actually appears the signal bars treat the LTE signal like 3g signal which is measured in RSSI instead of RSRP and on a different scale, a signal of -100dBm RSSI is deserving of the one bar where as the -100dBm RSRP signal really is not.

This is a completely separate issue from the dropped calls and other issues this phone has since it exists across multiple Sprint Spark phones and has existed on some of them for over a year in some cases like the Galaxy S4 Spark version. Due to the time this issue has been around I've come to the conclusion that the true nature of the issue has flown under Sprint's radar so I'm hoping sharing this information I have around will get it noticed and pushed up the ranks to where it could actually get dealt with.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm now able to play Ingress without constantly losing data connection while traveling after I installed the update yesterday.  Thanks for the update Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat