cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

I received my new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.  I am only receiving 1 bar throughout Cincinnati area.  Dropped calls, missed calls, calls sent to voicemail have been quite common over the past few days.  Here are two zip codes and addresses where signal used to be rather good and now... nothing.

45227  cross streets: Desmond Street and Kenwood Avenue

45238  cross streets: Ferguson Road and Glenway Avenue

Colleagues and friends of mine who also purchased the Samsung Galaxy S6 are experiencing the exact same issue that I am experiencing.

Message Title was edited by: SeaWolf
Just edited the title, since we're reporting on and monitoring this one for updates.

226 REPLIES 226
Highlighted
Patron

Also having dropped call issues. Seems to be wore when Im in the car. Multiple dropped calls within minutes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same issues!! I never had this many issues with my iPhone! I feel like I got duped into upgrading to a phone and plan I really didn't want because I thought I would be saving a few bucks a month.  Now I'm paying more and have a phone with spotty coverage and half my apps that I had on my iPhone don't work with the Samsung.I can't even use the Samsung to track my runs with Nike+- I have to use my old IPhone- that has no service!!!!  As soon as my contract is complete or I find a carrier that will pay for me to switch I will be leaving sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Similar problems here in Central VA with our new Galaxy S6's.  Dropped calls, low signal strength, data connection problems.  I took my wife's phone back today and heard a few interesting things:

They know there is an issue on "ALU" networks (Alcatel Lucent).  Maybe this means they are zeroing in on the cause and hence the solution.

They accepted my wife's phone back without question and issued a full refund and no mention of a restocking charge.  She bought her phone 8 days ago and had worse data problems than I did.

They would not take my phone back because I purchased mine 15 days ago.  One friggin' day past the deadline and they won't take it back.  Arrrgggh.  So word to the wise, if you are not sure about the phone or Sprint/Samsung's ability to remedy the situation, take it back before the 14-day return policy expires.  I'm not done fighting this and if they don't get it fixed soon, I will be going to Verizon after 20 years on Nextel/Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When you get a phone from a company (Sprint, Best Buy etc..) that has a 14 day return policy keep in mind the day you are in the store is DAY 1, so you truly only have 13 DAYS to return the phone. If you wait 14 days you have gone ONE DAY over the free no questions asked return policy.

Anyone reading this, you know if you like the phone or not a week in to ownership. A lot of the "tech's" you speak to on the phone or in the store are trained in retail sales and company policy, when they leave the store for their second job it may well be pumping gas or flipping burgers. Do not take their word for anything outside of what you have in front of you in writing!

Sure Sprint knows there is an issue with the S6 and their service, absolutely they are working on it and they also may or may not have no idea when or IF the problem will be resolved. If its a cell issue at the tower, how many towers do they need to make changes at? When will they get to those you need changed most? I just drove up the east coast from Baltimore to Boston mostly up interstates 95, 91, 84 and 90 back to 95 north and Sprints service is spotty at best using my S4, I passed more cell towers than I can count.. and Sprints service is spotty..at best.. using a proven phone. Where in lays the problem? I think the problem may just simply be Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just left at&t after being with them pretty much since the beginning of cell phones (15+yrs) & already disgusted with how dishonest Sprint has been all the way around w/this issue. Thanks to 1 AWESOME sprint store employee we were able 2 return the pos edge's & got the note 4's. Much better service, not nearly as many dropped calls while driving around central PA. I drive all over the state & sometimes to other states for work so will report back about service in other areas. These phones don't get so damn hot either! & the store employee told us there's no restocking fee due to phones being defective....yet they are still selling them in their stores!! I had called customer service on our way to return phones & when i asked the phone rep straight out "so are you saying you haven't had ANY other calls complaining about issues with these phones?!" To which she very carefully (& swiftly) replied "I only want to hear about the problem YOU are having with YOUR phone". Not quite ready 2 jump ship & try another carrier yet as these phones seem to be working better for calls/texts & in some areas data. At&t had their issues also & where i ALWAYS dropped calls with them i could sit & talk on this 1. Either way i believe what they are doing continuing to hand these phones out knowing they have issues is very dishonest & anyone past their 14 days should still be able to return as defective devices. We shall see....

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint has released a patch today to help those customers experiencing a high amount of dropped calls. Please read this post to learn more:

Update available for the Galaxy S6 / S6 edge ~OE2 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Thanks for being Sprint customers!

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm curious what others will say. I see no change in LTE or signal strength. It's exactly the same for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ninja_CJ,

Can you confirm this update is supposed to help the poor signal issue for 4G?  The only change I'm seeing is that my screen rotation is fixed even though the screen test (*#0*#) shows my x axis is still stuck at -32768.

Thanks

Shawn

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Hi Shawn,

The update is mainly to address the issue where some GS6/GS6e owners are experiencing an overly high amount of dropped calls. The official "notes" from the software release state "various bug fixes" which tell you and me not a whole lot.

To my knowledge we seeing poor 4G (i.e. LTE/Spark) signal coverage issues, except where it makes sense, such as fringe network coverage or outside of LTE/Spark coverage areas. Anyone can check coverage from here and select the "Data" tab.

To the best of my knowledge, if you own a Galaxy S6 edge and are experiencing auto-rotation issues, you need to take your device into an authorized Sprint service & repair store, let them check it out and if necessary they may replace your device. We are not seeing issues with auto-rotate on S6 devices, only S6 edge.

I hope this helps. Thanks for being a Sprint customer!

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Update installed without issue.  Time will tell if it helps.

It would sure be nice if you could publish additional details on what the problems/fixes were.  It would go a long way to helping your customers feel like you are working with them to resolve issues.  It will also help us evaluate the efficacy of the fixes if we know what they are.  We're not idiots.  Share more information!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The LTE signal bar issue mentioned here is an issue that has existed on a significant number of Sprint Spark devices. The first devices I ever saw it on was the Spark Galaxy S4 and it isn't exactly an issue with actual reception as it is with the way signal bars are displayed on these devices. If you look at a phone like the Spark compatible Nexus devices or an iPhone 6 or 6+ and observe the raw signal data you would see that a signal strength around -100dBm for them is represented with the signal strength being over half like an iPhone would represent it as probably about 3 dots. Now this same -100dBm signal on devices like the Galaxy S4 Spark model, the Galaxy S5, and the new Galaxy S6 models and several other Spark devices shows as one bar, in this situation this isn't an actual issue with the signal strength it's just the phone displays the bars incorrectly so any one not looking at the actual signal just sees poor signal bars.

I've had hopes of this being corrected for over a year now but I'm not sure Sprint is even aware of the actual issue despite it giving a bad impression of signal strength. I would have thought something like this would be a quickly picked up and fixed thing when it happened because it makes Sprint's network look much worse than it is to most people.

Just for added perspective someone on AT&T with a moto x said that when his LTE signal strength is -102dBm his phone shows full bars while Sprint has phones that drop to one signal bar at a slightly better signal strength of -100dBm. So on these phones one bar signal on Sprint can be an even stronger actual signal than AT&T has at full bars.

Also here's a link to another site where this issue has been discussed some.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6698-signal-bars-on-sprint-samsung-devices/

Highlighted
Journeyman

finally someone gets it. Your exactly right. I am showing one tiny bar on my S6 as well as the Spark symbol. However using a widget from an app I downloaded called Open Signal I am able to see my true signal bars (the widget is showing full bars) as well as my signal which is strong at -98db. I always suspected it was an issue with how the signal bars are displayed since I was able to easily get 15-20mbps speeds even when my phone was showing 1 bar of signal. I suggest anyone with the signal bar issue to download the app and use the widget. The app and widget are all free.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat