cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No reception - Samsung Galaxy S6 (and S6 Edge)

I received my new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.  I am only receiving 1 bar throughout Cincinnati area.  Dropped calls, missed calls, calls sent to voicemail have been quite common over the past few days.  Here are two zip codes and addresses where signal used to be rather good and now... nothing.

45227  cross streets: Desmond Street and Kenwood Avenue

45238  cross streets: Ferguson Road and Glenway Avenue

Colleagues and friends of mine who also purchased the Samsung Galaxy S6 are experiencing the exact same issue that I am experiencing.

Message Title was edited by: SeaWolf
Just edited the title, since we're reporting on and monitoring this one for updates.

226 REPLIES 226
Highlighted
Journeyman

Please read this article about the S6 and M9 that were just released. The reason for the sucky LTE signal is bc of the horrible RF falloff from the S5. The higher the band number (ex.41) the worst it is.

Here is the site.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-383-summer-of-69-samsung-and-htc-rock-out-with-their-flagships-for-the-season/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im not sure what that means but im guessing a software update wont fix the issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have terrible lte service at my house in Ocala even though the coverage map says I'm in a best lte coverage area. I am in an area with Sprint Spark coverage and have excellent lte service. Phone seems optimized for the sprint spark, but sucks for just regular lte. Even in a best lte coverage area according to sprints map, I never get more than 1 bar. More often than not it drops to 3g,with abysmal speeds reguardless.

Highlighted
Master

Keep in mind, the maps are an estimate and don't take into acct topography or buildings.

What happens when to go down the street or a few blocks away?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

What's really interesting is that i just ran 2 speed tests with 1 bar on spark lte and clocked 45Mbps and have seen other cases where i have full bars and very slow download speed. Perhaps the bars are not an indication of download speed and that annoying spinning wheel which translates to clocking and battery drain. I am also wanting to know if this even fixable. Thinking more and more about dumping sprint and the spark network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Was in Spring Hill most of yesterday, same excellent coverage according to the map, never got more than 1 lte bar, and really slow (1mbps average) data. Same thing no matter where I am unless in a spark coverage area. Have tried several places around Ocala,Fl where there is no spark coverage with the same sad results. Have seen the same complaints on the verizon and tmobile forums with this phone as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

in2deep777, thanks for posting that link. The review also makes mention of Samsung's use of "sturdier" materials instead of the S5's plastic case may have RF interference issues. So that makes one wonder if this is more of a device issue than a carrier issue.

That being said, I have friends who use the S6 and S6 Edge on other networks and are having no problems. Which leads me to think it's a problem with both Sprint and Samsung. An admin said they were working on a fix a day or two ago. However, they have been mum since then.

I have only had my S6 for about five days, so I should still have time to wait it out before I take return it and swap my four lines to a different provider. Hope they figure something out soon.

Thanks again for the link.

Highlighted
Master

The bars don't indicate speed but how strong your connection is to the network and current band.

I'd love to see the speed test of the band you had 45mb speeds when you have full bars.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm at my desk right now, with only the smallest bar lit.

Download speed clocked at 1.08 Mbps
Upload speed clocked at 4.14 Mbps

My S4 with 4G always clocked at least 20 Mbps each way on a bad day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It seems that the majority of the posts have been with sprint for along time and my have older plans. I read a post that sprint had similar issues with the iphone 6 when it come out and found out it may have been an issue with the older plans.

It would be interesting if anyone knows someone that has the sprint s6 in their area that works..then the phone itself(hardware)could possibly be eliminated from the issue.

Today is unfortunately the day I need to return my s6..waited as long as I could for the issue to be resolved. Back to my trusty s4..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doubt it's the plan, just switched from verizon when I got my s6 less than a week ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hopefully a software update will fix this. I read somewhere that on all galaxy s6 and s6 edges should be getting a update for android lolipop 5.5.0 soon. But idk if this would fix the issue or not or of what i read is true.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat