cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nougat battery drain

Journeyman

Nougat battery drain

Nougat (Android 7.0) drains the battery like crazy on Nougat.  It's about 3 times faster battery drain than before I "upgraded" to Nougat.  The useless battery apps screens says Idle is using the most battery (lying due to a bug) and then Android (useless info).  I've tried clearing the cache, restarting about a dozen times, turning off and disallowing access by apps, disabling as many packages as I could without breaking things using Package Disabler Pro.  Stopping the backup got the drain from 4x down to 3x.  

The only thing that solves the problem is airplane mode.  Then it hardly uses any power, about 3% per 8 hours.  I took it out of airplane mode and turned off bluetooth.  Didn't help.  Wifi is off so that's not the issue.  I tried switching to GSM only (Sprint has not GSM where I work).  Then the screen said "no service", and the battery drain was just as bad.

I am on "mid" power saving.  Makes no difference.  My three apps are using "0%", doesn't matter if they are disabled or not.  The device maintenance says "100 EXCELLENT!" and Congratulations!  That is clearly useless.  The battery usage screen is also useless as mentioned above, since it doesn't show what is actually chewing up power.

45 REPLIES 45
Sprint Social Care

Re: Nougat battery drain

Hello

Thanks for reaching out. If you installed Android 7.0 Nougat within the past two days, give it another day or two. Sometimes it can take a couple of days for the battery to settle in. What type of device do you have?

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy 6, so I put it in the Samsung Galaxy 6 forum.  I installed Nougat over a week ago.  I have turned off backup and other potential network use.  The problem is clearly with networking, but not Bluetooth or Wifi.  In airplane mode the power use is minimal.  With Bluetooth and Wifi turned off the power use is terrible.

If there was some app to find and stop the power drain that would be very useful.

Master

purplesuit13, I know you mentioned that you have disallowed access by apps.  The first recommendation we always make if your battery life turns south is a quick check on your third-party applications. If you want to fix your bad Galaxy S6 battery life, you’re going to want to keep an eye on applications for potential problems.

Applications, third party and stock, have a tendency to put a huge dent into the battery life on any smartphone. If you use an application a lot, it’s going to drain your battery. But there are also times where bugs or issues might cause an app to go rogue and start abnormally draining the device’s charge. Have you booted the device in Save Mode? Did you see any difference? I was only able to find tips and tricks on how to save battery life after the Nougat update. For third party applications just visit GooglePlay.  

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

No third party apps are in use for about two days, and none show up on the battery monitor screen.  The highest entries there are Device Idle (the highest), Android System, and Android OS.  After some use checking  the screens, I also see Screen, Cell Standby and Play Services all at 1%.   In contrast Idle is at 8%.  Since Idle actually uses no CPU, that indicates problems where some other service is using up CPU due to some sort of bug.  I have installed 5 apps.  None of them are in use right now.  I generally don't want or need apps unless it is to fix something like the battery drain problem.

I don't see a safe mode option on the boot menu.

Master

To turn on the device on Safe Mode, you can follow these steps found here @ http://sprint.co/29C4EON

With Safe Mode enabled, test it out for a couple of hours and to see if there is an improvement.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  After 9 hours in safe mode the phone has used less power than yesterday in regular mode, but still more than before the Nougat upgrade.  My apps are grayed out which is fine since I don't use them much anyway.  The battery usage screen says Device idle is 7%, Android System is 6%, Cell standby is 1% and Android OS is 1%.

Sprint Social Care

Thanks for letting us know the result. There isn't much we can do on this end about the battery life after the update. Our next recommendation would be for you to have the device diagnosed at one of our repair stores. By the way, I typed Battery saver for Samsung on Google play and got some results. Have a look at those Apps.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Did factory reset.  Did not help.  PITA.

Sprint Social Care

Hello purplesuit13.

Since we have  exhausted the troubleshooting steps on our end, we recommend that you bring the device to a Sprint Repair Store near you. Just visit: Sprint.com/storelocator

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Still at 3% per hour, 3 times worse than pre-nougat.  For a few days it was closer to 2% but now it has regressed.  Can I ask what they plan to do at the Sprint store?  What can they do that I can't download and run myself?

Sprint Social Care

purplesuit13,

At the store, our technicians will determine further the route cause of the issue, and will be able to see any options available regarding this matter.

Kryshna

Sprint Social Care Team

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat