cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nougat battery drain

GrandMaster

Re: Nougat battery drain

i have no idea where to go with this one. you did a cache/partition wipe..i think you did a Factory reset..cant remember..did you by chance take it into a corporate repair store to see if they could reflash the update onto your phone?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes, the Sprint repair store reflashed with nougat.  I would have preferred going back to MM but they could not do that.  I did the factory reset just once since it is somewhat time consuming to restore the apps and settings.  

GrandMaster

im all out of ideas to try. in this case its pretty much just your phone that is doing this though...so it wasnt brought in as a bug from the update or it would have affected a ton more people...running the phone in safe mode doesnt improve anything? is the battery removable?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The battery is not removable.  Safe mode (and "max" power saving mode) turn off most apps, but the power drain is still high.  Doesn't seem to be the apps causing it.  It started doing this with nougat.  Under marshmallow I used at most 10% in 10 hours (I set the phone on my desk and do nothing with it all day).  Under nougat, this morning, it used 10% in 4 hours.

The only fix I found was airplane mode, although I am testing that again now since I have not tested that for at least a month.

GrandMaster

but the key thing to look at is youre the only one really reporting it in here..if it were a issue brought in with the update itself this forum would be hammered with posters seeing this. try safe mode..power saver mode doesnt fully shut down 3rd party apps..just their notifications etc. safe mode fully shuts them down...then test for maybe an hour to see if anything changes..
Journeyman

I realize there should be other complaints, but there are many phone models and the OS will run differently on each of them.  That's why I posted under Samsung Galaxy S6.  But you are right that there should be more complaints even in this forum.  Another possibility is that I had bug in MM that caused my phone to use too little power.  Almost everybody I talk to uses a lot more battery during the day although they also use their phones more.

I tested safe mode for a day about a month ago.  I'll test that again after I finish my current airplane mode test.

results: safe mode used up 4% in 2 hours consisting of 2% Device idle and 2% Android System.  The phone is cold however, so perhaps there is a battery calibration problem?    I think I should let the battery run down to zero (or as close as it gets), then recharge.

Journeyman

Let the battery go down to zero until the phone shut off, then turned it back on until it would no longer turn back on.   Then charged to 100% with the phone turned off.  No change in battery performance, possibly worse.  I'm not sure how it calculates the drain for each app.  Has my battery gone bad?  Why would that happen precisely when I upgraded to Nougat?  Would a bad battery show up as high use in Device idle and Android System?  Those are always the two highest usages by far.

GrandMaster

the repair stores should be able to do a test against the battery just in case.
Journeyman

After updating my s6 to nougat a few months ago and installing the patch, factory reset, partition wipe etc etc tried turning everything off, safe mode i have battery drain of a massive 20% per hour!! Yet my battery usage monitor never shows that amount. Always device idle ir android os highest usage

Journeyman

That is strange, your case is much worse than mine.  At least mine is just 2-3% per hour.  But your symptoms sound similar: Device idle and Android System are my highest battery uses listed.  When I don't use the phone at all, then those are the only two battery uses listed.

When I ran with GSAM battery monitor, it implied that the phone almost never went into deep sleep (it says deep sleep 1% of the time).  I suspect your phone is never going into any kind of sleep, it is just staying full CPU usage even when you do nothing with it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat