cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S6 Data connection extremely slow for certain apps.

Go to solution
Journeyman

S6 Data connection extremely slow for certain apps.

I am having an issue with my new S6's data connection speed on 3G and LTE. All apps and downloading data is as fast as my previous S4 on WiFi. However certain apps, Mainly facebook and instagram are extremely slow on LTE. Basically to the point of not loading at all. This is not a sprint data speed issue as websites, google searches and play store will load extremely fast on LTE. Speed test also shows I'm in the 15mb Range.  Side by side with my wife's iPhone on LTE and it is running at full speed.

Who else is having this issue and is there any solution?  I have tried uninstalling apps and re installing, cache clean, and factory reset to no avail.  Sprint needs to address this issue as the phone is non functional outside of Wifi range.  Based on discussions on andriod forums there are others out there having the same issue and all seem to be on the Sprint network.

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: S6 Data connection extremely slow for certain apps.

I am having the same issue. I have already teplaced the device once and both have had the same thinG happen.

Data flows perfectly through to the devices Web browser and the speed test app. Showing speeds of around 25Mbps for me. However, certain apps seems to get extremely limited data flow. For me these apps include most social media apps as well as things like Tapatalk, Google Play Music, and more.

It is not a network issues as everything works fine when using a browser. There is something in the software that is blocking or throttling the data speed to other apps.

Called CS on this and they are denying that there is an issue and that it must be my phone. Regardless of the fact that there are many others with the issue with threads about it now here, on Android Central and on XDA all from different sources.

Looks like i need to return the phonw before the grace pwriod is over. A smart phone that cannot use Apps is a little pointless.

Journeyman

I'm having the exact same problem. I knew I couldn't be the only one. It does seem to be mostly Social Media apps though. Instagram is barely crawling along on 4G and Snapchat doesn't even send the pics.. I also had quite the time just trying to play music through Google Play Music earlier this evening. Very frustrating..

Journeyman

same problem here as well.. apps like facebook, and several others i use just spin on loading and never load up.  also i haven't been receiving texts or even email notifications till i get home and put it on my wifi and then my found blows up with notifications.  i also keep my phone on auto sync at all times.  never had this problem with Note 3 and my Nexus 6 on sprints network.  only on my Galaxy 6.  and do the admin. there are several posts on other sites about this. 

Journeyman

Unfortunately, I am having the same issues on the Sprint Network in Minneapolis. I'm currently on my 2nd Samsung S6 since last Friday. Both phones are having the same issue...extremely slow on the sprint network... works great on wifi only. When not on wifi, I can't open facebook (just hangs) or linkedin (force shuts down everytime) and in general, my spark wheel is constantly spinning and zero to 1 bar at LTE. I never had this kind of problem with my S3. Best Buy looked at it, Samsung support looked at it and I've talked to Sprint twice with no solution. Everyone tells me there's no known issue with the phone. Sprint and Samsung are telling me to take the phone back again.   No one wants to take accountability and own the issue.

I only have 5 days before my 14 days are up. For the first time ever, I'm thinking iPhone 6, which sucks because I've always been on Android and love the camera on this phone.  Does iPhone 6 have same data connection problems with spark?  I did not have this data problem on my S3 a week and a half ago.  Please help Sprint, soon!

Journeyman

I took my phone into Sprint yesterday and they suggested that I run the phone on 3G only... They had a tech look at it and he said that there was some problems between the Sprint network and my account. He said he "fixed the glitch" and my phone was working fine all afternoon yesterday. This morning when I switched form Wifi to 4G, the problems all started again. So I don't think anything was actually done about it. I did a speed test this morning on 4G and the speeds were great but Facebook, Snapchat, Google Play Music and Instagram were just "loading" and never really went anywhere. I did a "profile update" and that seemed to get things working like normal. Facebook and Instagram were loading very quickly after that. Maybe it's a problem with switching to and from WiFi?

Journeyman

running the phone on 3g/cdma seems to load the apps faster and act almost normal. it would be nice to have LTE speeds. i may do this until sprint gets off their a$$ and fixes this. 

Journeyman

I also am having problems with facebook loading as well as the spark circle spinning all the time. One day, I will leave work with 60% battery life, the next day I will be down to 30% by lunchtime. I don't understand all this.  Reset the network, updated prl and profile and took to sprint and they are telling me is must be spark, but offered no solution. I have 5 days to decide if I want to keep this phone or not!

Journeyman

I just spent an hour at the Sprint store with the Technician.  We did a factory reset (again) and confirmed that the data connection is good (speed tests and chrome).  Facebook application works only on wifi and on cdma/3g.  It just hangs on LTE.  Same with LinkedIn application, works on wifi and cdma/3g, but crashes on LTE. 

Journeyman

i went to my local store as well.  showed him this thread and did just about exactly the same thing with the same result. i just got my phone as well. but im willing to wait it out.  granted my nexus 6 was a POS till the 5.1 update came out and now works very good and has great battery life.  i bought both these phones off contract at full price and i would expect these big companies who are making a considerable amount of money off us for their service to live up to their end of the bargin and address the problem promptly.  Took the nexus about 4 months for it to be the phone it is now. And to a consumer thats too long of a time.  i went back to my Note 3 during the time of the nexus 6 not working. the employee that helped me sent an email to them saying that i wasn't the only one in town who got this phone that is having a problem with the LTE/Spark Network having problems running apps.  but then again samsung and sprint will put the blame on each other as Google did with the nexus 6 that i had.  just dont feel like getting the run around when I spend hard earned money on a product released to the public that should be working when unboxed....Sprint take this in stride.  i like my unlimited plan and dont see myself leaving anytime soon.  i just would like to see a offical response to this thread.  Thanks

Journeyman

I am having the same issue.  Facebook and Google Music will not load.  Hope there is a fix soon!

Journeyman

Same issue here. Any replies?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat