cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S6 Data connection extremely slow for certain apps.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: S6 Data connection extremely slow for certain apps.

I too have been having these issues with the new S6 64gb. I only have facebook on mine, all other "internet" apps and what-not work fine, this seems to be a "social media" app problem. I talked with numerous phone "geeks" and "techs" about this problem because I was simply ready to bean someone in the head with this damn thing!

Anyway, I pondered the problem. All my news apps and internet pages such as Ebay, craigslist, news channels all worked about flawlessly except my facebook. So I went into facebook via the web browser on the phone and I signed into facebook and it worked great! Hmm... OK! Well it worked fine through the internet on spark no problem. Ok, so the "spark" works fine, this is not a sprint issue, this is a FB issue.

So, I uninstalled the FB app and then Reinstalled it. I shut off Wifi and turned spark on and then opened the newly installed FB App and BINGO BANGO! FB is working flawlessly on Spark!!

I hope this works for you!!

Journeyman

I'm not sure how involved everyone is in reading all of the posts on the issue, but tons of them are popping up on the Sprint forums. I've even seen some Sprint Care representatives get involved. The latest info I've read is that Sprint is aware of the issue and are working on some sort of resolution. You can read more about it in other threads.

Also, I read about uninstalling/reinstalling the Facebook app so I tried it this morning. It didn't work for me, however, my LTE reception on my phone has been working like normal all day today. I hope I don't jinx myself, but as of right now I'm getting great data rates on all apps that I've tried. I'm hoping it stays that way and I never have to mess with this again!

Journeyman

I think I found a temp solution for this issue that works. You will need to disable the LTE Band 41. You will need you MSL from Sprint to do this.

Make sure you have the LTE access on in the mobile networks settings

1. dial ##data#
  2. click on EDIT
  3. enter MSL
  4. find LTE section
  5. find Band41 Enabled
  6. click to disable - green checkbox goes away
  7. restart phone
  8. enjoy

I am still getting 20mb down (i also live next to a tower) at -65dBm

my method after i got the MSL was to turn off b26 and 41. restart phone. still the same issue. turn on b26, restart phone, wooh! it works. turned on b41, restart, damn. turn back of b41, restart and back in business. i did a few restarts already and seems to be holding.

Journeyman

Disabling Band 41 is probably a better temporary solution for some people the switching to CDMA only, however that still does not address the underlying issue. By removing Band 41 you are removing Spark access and moving down to standard LTE. You will lost about half of your potential data speeds.

There is still the issue that while on the Spark network data is being withheld from certain apps. What it almost feel like is that the data is being selectively throttled for certain application, much in the same way that many ISPs throttle data to file sharing and torrent sites.

The problem with data flow to apps such as Facebook and Google Music does not have anything to do with the signal strength or the bands coming into the phone. It has something to do with the software that is preinstalled on the phone itself. Otherwise, we would not be able to get high speeds on the SpeedTest app the Web Browser and then have no signal at all using Social Media apps and other preinstalled software.

Sprint seems to be saying that they are checking into the issue with the bad signal strength on the phone in coordination with Samsung. I have no seen anyone from Sprint yet to comment on the data issue though which seems to be a completely different situation.

Good morning everyone!

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. We believe the dropped calls, poor signal strength and slow data speeds may be related and we have made sure that all the issues being reported on these forums have been sent to our device experts to be researched. I apologize that we don't have any new information to provide on the status of the investigations, but please be aware that we are taking these reports very seriously and looking to get the problems resolved as quickly as possible so you can enjoy these fantastic new phones.

Thank you,

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Click here to send me a PM

Journeyman

Today is day 14 since I bought two S6s.   With no fix in sight, they are going to have to be returned.   Now I will have five lines off contract.   Time to shop for a network that works.

Journeyman

Does anyone know if the spark icon/snowflake in the status bar is suppose to spin all of the time when on the Sprint Network?  I'm trying to understand if this is working as designed or if this is related to the data issues?  Does it spin all of the time to tell us that the phone is looking for a better band/frequency?

Journeyman

I don't know if it's supposed to spin all of the time. Mine doesn't, it only spins when there's a request. I've even seen the spark logo go dim when there's nothing going on and then light back up when I open an app or switch music. I do remember a Sprint employee telling me that once "spark is fully operational" that the logo would continuously spin, but I don't know if that's true since the Spark in this area is hit or miss..

Journeyman

Spinning when there is a request (i.e. upload/download) makes sense to me.  I'm in an area where there is suppose to be good "spark" coverage and it spins all the time, even after a page has long since loaded or even if I'm not doing anything.  I'm afraid what you heard is probably true, that it is designed to spin whenever the phone is on the spark network.  Why in the world would Sprint design it this way?  There is already an icon for LTE.  To me, when I see something spinning like that it tells me that it is buffering, clocking or waiting.  This alone may have me leaving Sprint for Verizon.

Journeyman

I did what you suggested, turned off my wi-fi, uninstalled my Instagram app (that was taking 3 mintues to load pics). I restarted my phone, downloaded Instagram and it works perfectly.

It seem that only the APPs like facebook and Instagram, that arent normally pre-downloaded, bit were pre-loaded on to the s6 phone by Samsung are having this issue.

So i say to every one to delete the apps like FB and IG if they are moving slow and re-downlaod them yourself instead o. The pre-installed ones.

Thank you EVOThor, because it was really frustrating waiting mintues for things to load.

Problem solved.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat