Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This week's OTA update

Highlighted
Journeyman

This week's OTA update

Has anyone done the update yet (second week of January 2017)?

If so, have you noticed any difference in battery life that you care to report? Or do you have any other differences to mention?

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: This week's OTA update

Hi Bisagod! What update are you referring to? Is it a software update? What's the make and model of your device? Is battery life the only issue you're experiencing?

Michael C

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, Michael. 

Unless I made a mistake (quite possible, as I haven't posted on or even looked at the forums for years), I posted my question in the Galaxy S6 forum, which would make my device a Samsung Galaxy S6. The OTA update to which I refer looks to be called G920PVPU4CPL3/G920PSPT4CPL3/G920PVPU4CPL3 (yes, it's odd that they would put the same "G920PVPU4CPL3" in there twice, but that's what it says on the screen).

Whether this would be called a software update or a firmware update, I'm not sure, thus my specifying only "update" and "second week of January 2017."

It's 308.43MB, and under "What's new," it reads:

Battery usage optimization

The security of your device has been improved.

I haven't been able to find reports anywhere online, except some from a source I didn't deem at all reliable, that were complaining that their battery life (or charge duration) had dropped off to precipitously short levels. Before I accept the update, I'd like to hear from people who clearly really do own Galaxy S6's, hopefully from Sprint, and really did do this update, and really are reporting real-world results.

Thanks! 

Highlighted

Thank you so much for elaborating. We currently don't have any "real-world" reports of this update at the moment. Actually, we only have records for the update for the first week of January. Please accept our apologies as we don't have any information regarding the matter yet. We advise you to contact Samsung for more details before you update. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask!

Michael C

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, Michael. I will probably hold off a few more days before applying the update (have downloaded it to phone already), and see if any reports come in anywhere. My S7 is arriving Monday, yay! And my wife will inherit the S6 to replace her iPhone 5, whose battery is dying (it's on the Apple list for free replacement, or would be if it she had gotten it less than 3 years ago. As it is, we'll need to pay $80 to replace it).

Highlighted

Perfect! The best option would be to wait a few days just to be sure. We are happy to know your S7 is arriving soon and we hope you enjoy it to the fullest! If there is anything else we can do for you, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for choosing Sprint and have a great night!

Michael C

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat