cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from an s5 to an s6, some text messages still going to old phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgraded from an s5 to an s6, some text messages still going to old phone

I just upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy s5 to an s6, kept the same phone number and both were/are on Sprint, and some of my text messages are randomly still going to my old phone. I called customer service yesterday and they had me type in the code to make sure it was fully programmed on the new phone and the old phone was deactivated, and I still am having this issue. I will get most texts on the new phone, and then suddenly, from the same person, one ONLY shows up on my old phone. The only common thing I can figure out is that all of the texts that are going to the old phone are from iphone users...but again, it only happens very occasionally, and most texts come through to the new phone.

Thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
GrandMaster

Re: Upgraded from an s5 to an s6, some text messages still going to old phone

was your old phone sync'd with either google voice or hangouts?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It was with Google Hangouts, yes.

GrandMaster

if youre old phone is connected to wifi right now im willing to bet its still connecting to hangouts and pulling some of them that way. disable it on the old device..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks!

Journeyman

SMS was already disabled on Google Hangouts on the old phone 😕 That was a great thought, though.

GrandMaster

no worries..since it doesnt have a data/voice signal anymore that can be the only reason its still happening. over wifi..since texts dont come through wifi Google Voice or hangouts would be the main culprits i can think of that would cause it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat