cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does unlock mean for the S6?

Go to solution
Wizard

What does unlock mean for the S6?

I've seen a couple of posts where people as trying to unlock their S6, but what does it mean exactly when the S6 is unlocked?  My understanding from previous device unlock is that the device can only be used with an international SIM, meaning only with international GSM carriers.  The device will not work with domestic carriers.

So, is this different with the S6 unlocked?  Thanks in advanced.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: What does unlock mean for the S6?

badankles, the Samsung Galaxy S6 its a DSU (Domestic SIM unlock) capable device, that means that once the device its unlocked, it will allow a device owner to insert another domestic carrier's SIM card into the device in order to attempt to activate the device on that carrier's network.

However, domestically unlocking the SIM does not meant the device, and all functions, will work with any or all other carrier(s).

You can learn more @ https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you, and thanks for the link to the details.

Sprint Social Care

Hello badankles.

Thanks for the question. When a device is purchased through any phone company (with the companies branded phones) the devices are locked. This means that those devices can only be used with that companies network.

Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU) refers to enabling the SIM slot of your device to allow you to insert another carrier's SIM card (either domestically or internationally.) Unlocking a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with another carrier's network. Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network). NOTE: Not all devices are capable of having the SIM slot unlocked.

Unlocking for international travel

Traveling abroad? Sprint customers traveling abroad for a short period of time may be eligible to have their Sprint service provisioned to allow for international roaming. See sprint.com/international for full details.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Juan

Sprint Social Care

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Bad choice for Sprint. We buy the phone not lease it. Thus, that is fraud. Don't put out that "everyone's doing it" crap again. It just ain'the so Sam!
Master

There's a difference between a world phone and a Carrier specific phone. Unless the model you bought is a world phone, unlocking won't do you any good as mentioned. You may only get partial operability. This is because no carriers have the same BANDS. To keep prices low, carriers don't usually sell world phones. The exception is if the OEM only provides a world phone.

A world phone is specifically built to include ALL bands from all carriers and as such can be used anywhere in the world. These phones do cost more due to the additional hardware that had to be included to make it a world phone.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.

Good morning badankles!

Unlocking a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with another carrier's network. You can also Unlock for International use only. Here is a link that can help you as well http://sprint.co/2lSGRz7 .

We would gladly take a look at your device. Please answer our private message.

Irene

Sprint Social Care 

Irene
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat