cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Galaxy S6 Edge's Camera, The Eye Test

Journeyman

When I read reviews on phone's cameras, or dive into the paper specs I tend to get jealous of others, others that understand the photography jargon. I am a technical person, but my weaknesses are definitely cars and camera tech?now ask me a question in regards to RAM/ROM/CPU/CACHE etc... and I can probably go for days.

For me the question is simple when it comes to cameras, which picture looks better to me? It is an opinion question?I mean honestly nobody sees exactly the way I, or you, do (blue eyes, non-aided 20/10 vision) genetics, environmental upbringing and a slew of things go into how we see and interpret images and colors. Do not get me started on the Blue Dress v White Dress fiasco (which by the way I can literally see one, click away and see the other because I?m not normal apparently.)

I can point and click with the best of em, but I couldn't explain to you why some cameras perform better than others in low light situations. Again, I am the user that gauges his initial thoughts on a camera's ability simply by knowing what megapixels the camera is capable of taking picture at. Lame I know.

So with this said I began using Edgalina Jolie (my Galaxy S6 Edge) after using my Nexus 6. I knew that the S6 was 16MP compared to the Nexus? 13MP, so naturally IMO the S6 camera is better, but only by 3MP. I know enough about FPS, auto focus capabilities and HDR to know that on paper they were basically a draw. The front camera also has a difference of 3MP (5MP for the S6, 2MP for the Nexus.)

So to me, I shouldn't see a major difference right?

Well I do. But it isn't directly dealing with clarity and/or contrast in normal everyday situations, although the S6 does appear better there also, but the true standout difference is in lowlight/no light situations. When I take a photo with the S6 Edge in a low light environment without flash, the results appear much more clear and identifiable than that of the Nexus 6, again I can't explain why. Here is a comparison of how the two do from Phonearena.com                    

download.jpg

Now when I take a photo in a no light situation with the flash, the S6 again shows much better results than that of the Nexus. I assume it has to do with the flash, and the way it works, but for all I know it could be based on the mood I was in at the time I took the photo.

I would also add that the S6 is a lot quicker with focusing and actually snapping the photo. I no longer have the frustration of waiting for the camera to refocus which inevitably makes me miss the photo opp. In addition to that, another perk is that the zoom actually zooms further when in HDR mode when compared to the Nexus 6, this is my biggest beef with the Nexus 6 camera.

When it is all said in done, I am N00B with the photo lingo and such, but when it comes to the eye test, the S6 Edge is without a doubt the best mobile phone camera I have used and/or seen to date.

After finishing the above blog I stumbled upon this phonearena.com comparison check it out!

Also a neat little tool you can use when you want to compare phone's cameras can be found HERE on GSMArena.com

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."