cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

0 Comments

Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge:

Software update to ~0F7 is available for the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge beginning, 6/30/15 - available for ALL devices.

Check the software version on your Galaxy S6 here.

Check the software version on your Galaxy S6 edge here.

Fixes/Enhancements:

? Lollipop 5.1 upgrade including Factory Reset Protection

? Security Enhancements

? Device Stability Improvements

0 Comments

As I wrap up my time with the GS6 Edge I want to provide some parting thoughts on what quickly became my favorite feature of the device, the camera.   I’ll cover a few of the high level specs below but for context around my opinions I am probably your average camera enthusiast.   I enjoy capturing special moments in my life but I can’t say I fit in the category of users who take pictures of every facet of their lives.   For me a good camera experience is one that affords the opportunity to take high quality photos without having to optimize settings or continually adjust to match lighting conditions.   Basically advanced photo bugs like my sister would call me camera illiterate. . .   I’m ok with that, actually I more than ok with that.

The Specs

For those of you transitioning from a GS5 you will note the 16MP camera rating and think the camera goes unimproved but that’s not the case.   Vs. it’s predecessor the GS6 sports a larger F1.9 aperture which improves low light photo performance considerably.   My GS5’s performance in low light wasn’t horrible but comparing side by side results of a low light environment is noticeable. In short the larger aperture means more light exposure which in turn translates to improved imagery.   For context I’m attaching a low light picture I took with my GS6 at a concert, love the clarity.

britfloyd.jpg

Usability

Aside from picture quality I really enjoyed the feature improvements made to enhance the camera's user experience.   First and foremost is the opportunity to quick launch the camera which is as fast as advertised.   Double tapping the home button launches the camera application in under a second.   Very convenient and a well thought out way to address the ability to take spur of the moment pictures that happen in everyday life.  Between the quick launch feature and the camera’s ability to quickly focus I think you will be pleasantly surprised how effective you will be at capturing those precious fleeting moments.   The camera performs admirably in motion as well by employing “Object Tracking Auto Focus” and “Optical Image Stabilization”.    These two features aid the camera in clearly capturing a subject in motion and mitigate any potential blur that might be caused by the device’s motion. 

In closing I’ve really enjoyed my time with the GS6 Edge, the edge screen doesn’t pack a ton of utility but it does add a depth to the screen that you just don’t get from the flat variant.   Beautifully designed, great display, amazing camera, and really good external speaker sound quality.   If you can’t tell I’m a fan, but it has been earned.  Samsung’s ability to successfully refine their products generation to generation has won me over and looking forward to their future offerings.

Until Next Time:

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

The S6 Edge was coined as the "Next Big Thing." Well congratulations Samsung, you didn't disappoint.

giphy.gif

But now you have a problem, what the heck do you do next? Sure it's easy to say: improve battery life, take more advantage of the Edge technology or incorporate a tougher more accidental drop friendly glass screen, but those are things "Other Manufactures" would do.

No you are Samsung, you have a knack for and then busting through like a wrecking ball.

Bet you expecting some other pic there weren't ya?

I mean if you look at where the Galaxy line started (I say the Epic Touch, which is technically the SG2, but that's merely schematics) you can see the insane progress. The device line continues to lose weight and waist, the picture and camera/video capturing specs consistently push the industry standards to new standards. The CPU/RAM/ROM are growing exponentially making the device snappier and more fluid. The innovative evolution of the Galaxy Note and the Edge technologies have yet to be replicated, and I will be shocked if they are ever on the same level when others do inevitably duplicate them.

Honestly a few years ago people associated Verizon's Motorola Droid series with Android.

"What phone do you have?"

"A 'Droid'."

"No I'm sorry that's actually an HTC EVO (or insert any other Android OS device.) You probably mean 'ANDROID,' which would refer to the OS. Droid is a Device Model"

Now Samsung Galaxy's are the thing.

"So what do you prefer, iOS or Android?"

"Neither I have a Galaxy."

"So, I'll put you down as an Android user then?"

Will anyone every get this darn OS/Device Model thing down?

So what's the "The Next Bigger/Bestest Thing?" Now that you have raised the bar yet again.

Turbo charge? Nope that's here.

4K video capture? Already did it.

Super Duper Power Saving Mode? Been doing that too.

Improved security features for corporate users? Been there, done that.

Improve the often neglected front facing camera? Dag nabbit, that's here also!

Well let me suggest a few fun ideas and one serious one (you can decide which is which):

• How about we elevate this Edge thing a bit and go full on Edge Border?.give me my RSS feeds scrolling around the entire phone perimeter. "Introducing the Galaxy S7 Perimeter" TM pending. (Seriously this would be cool.)
  • Or how about mind control unlocking, let's be honest, this is where it's headed (lame pun intended) anyways, let's just speed things up huh? If that's too advanced you can save it for the SG8, we can start with retina scanning in the SG7.
  • I know you are working on folding phone technology. I remember reading last year that the hope was that the Note series would have a folding Note device by in 2015/2016. So let's bring it to the non-Note series also!!!

• How about coating the glass in an invisible rubber substance, that will allow the phone to bounce like a quarter machine bouncing ball, instead of falling flat giving user's heart attacks and stress acne hoping that the screen didn't scratch/fracture.
  • Finally, how about adding some actual external speaker power to this bad boy, and integrate media controls into the Edge (both visual and gesture based.) I would argue the one thing the Galaxy series has yet to even attempt to tackle or lead the industry in is external speaker sound/clarity. You launched Milk Music. Why not promote that a bit with a phone that is capable of being a pocket stereo system?

You're welcome Samsung. Those were free and on the house. Consider it a HUGE thank you from my time living in South Korea and the great joy you brought me at every Samsung Lions baseball game I attended. You introduced me to the "Thunder Stick" back in 1999 and showed me that Baseball games are enhanced with cheerleaders. Now we are finally even.

พริ้วไปกับ Samsung Lion CheerleadersImage

Pictures found via google.com/images Here and Here, they are not my own.

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

When I read reviews on phone's cameras, or dive into the paper specs I tend to get jealous of others, others that understand the photography jargon. I am a technical person, but my weaknesses are definitely cars and camera tech?now ask me a question in regards to RAM/ROM/CPU/CACHE etc... and I can probably go for days.

For me the question is simple when it comes to cameras, which picture looks better to me? It is an opinion question?I mean honestly nobody sees exactly the way I, or you, do (blue eyes, non-aided 20/10 vision) genetics, environmental upbringing and a slew of things go into how we see and interpret images and colors. Do not get me started on the Blue Dress v White Dress fiasco (which by the way I can literally see one, click away and see the other because I?m not normal apparently.)

I can point and click with the best of em, but I couldn't explain to you why some cameras perform better than others in low light situations. Again, I am the user that gauges his initial thoughts on a camera's ability simply by knowing what megapixels the camera is capable of taking picture at. Lame I know.

So with this said I began using Edgalina Jolie (my Galaxy S6 Edge) after using my Nexus 6. I knew that the S6 was 16MP compared to the Nexus? 13MP, so naturally IMO the S6 camera is better, but only by 3MP. I know enough about FPS, auto focus capabilities and HDR to know that on paper they were basically a draw. The front camera also has a difference of 3MP (5MP for the S6, 2MP for the Nexus.)

So to me, I shouldn't see a major difference right?

Well I do. But it isn't directly dealing with clarity and/or contrast in normal everyday situations, although the S6 does appear better there also, but the true standout difference is in lowlight/no light situations. When I take a photo with the S6 Edge in a low light environment without flash, the results appear much more clear and identifiable than that of the Nexus 6, again I can't explain why. Here is a comparison of how the two do from Phonearena.com                    

download.jpg

Now when I take a photo in a no light situation with the flash, the S6 again shows much better results than that of the Nexus. I assume it has to do with the flash, and the way it works, but for all I know it could be based on the mood I was in at the time I took the photo.

I would also add that the S6 is a lot quicker with focusing and actually snapping the photo. I no longer have the frustration of waiting for the camera to refocus which inevitably makes me miss the photo opp. In addition to that, another perk is that the zoom actually zooms further when in HDR mode when compared to the Nexus 6, this is my biggest beef with the Nexus 6 camera.

When it is all said in done, I am N00B with the photo lingo and such, but when it comes to the eye test, the S6 Edge is without a doubt the best mobile phone camera I have used and/or seen to date.

After finishing the above blog I stumbled upon this phonearena.com comparison check it out!

Also a neat little tool you can use when you want to compare phone's cameras can be found HERE on GSMArena.com

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge comes with a few motions and gestures to assist you with managing your device without having to follow through a lot of the functions many are used to manage basic functions such as alerts and accepting calls.

Screenshot_2015-06-14-21-08-23.png

Under Settings/device you can manage these features under the device options.

Here are some of the available options.

Direct Call:

Can be used when one has call, message or the details of a contact on the screen. Once the phone is brought to your ear. The phone will begin to dial the number that is associated with the contact.

Screenshot_2015-06-14-21-14-46.png

Smart Alert:

Is great for you to be notified if you have a message when you pick up your phone. This will also notify you about calls as well. Smart Alert also manages the Edge screen notifications for email, missed call and messages.

Screenshot_2015-06-14-21-18-59.png

Mute:

One of my favorite motions is the mute function. If I am in a business meeting while a call is coming in. I can simply place my hand on the screen to mute my device. You can also use this same method to mute an alarm as well as an option to turn the device over to mute the device as well.

Screenshot_2015-06-14-21-23-45.pngScreenshot_2015-06-14-21-23-33.png

Palm swipe to capture:

The days of holding the power key and volume rocker down simultaneously to take a screen shot has been enhanced by a simple swipe of your hand. Once the feature is turned on you just swipe the side of your palm from one edge of the phone to the opposite side.

Screenshot_2015-06-14-21-23-20.png

All photos on this blog were captured by this method.

Overall, I use Smart Alert and Palm swipe and these two features seem to meet my daily.

Which one is your favorite Motion or Gesture?

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

94963i305C7773D24C17EC.png

I have been reviewing the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for several weeks now and have to say this has been one of the best phones yet. One of the things that brings this phone to the top for me is the camera. I have taken many pictures with it and the quality is of the pictures is one of the best. Most pictures after taken with smartphones are not able to be cropped down like this one with so much detail:

20150423_121855.jpg20150423_121850-1.jpg

Another thing that Samsung brought to the Galaxy S6 Edge is many great themes. One of my favorite themes series that Samsung offers is from the Marvel Avengers themes. My daughter likes the Incredible Hulk so that is the theme I applied to my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

hulk.PNG

One of the things Samsung added was a lighter Touch Wiz. Not only is it lighter, Samsung provided the ability to disable those apps that cannot be uninstalled. Samsung made it really easy to disable those apps through the app tray. Those apps I was not able to uninstall, I did disable if I had no plans to use them.

disable.PNG

This is a very beautiful phone and I like to keep it that way. I picked up a Spigen Tough Armor and Spigen Curved Crystal screen protector to protect my Galaxy S6 Edge from those accidental drops. Both the case and screen protector were out the test when I got out of my truck and my GS6 Edge fell out of my lap onto the asphalt..... I thought for sure my screen was a goner. I peeled back the screen protector and there was not even a scratch on my display. My Curved Crystal did its job and took the impact for my display....

spigen-slim-armor-galaxy-s6edge.jpg20150513_111125.jpg

The thing that really stands out on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is the 2560 x 1440 (Quad HD) Dual Edge Super AMOLED display. This display is one of the sharpest displays I have seen on a phone. This is something that can only be seen in person. Visit a Sprint store and check out the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to experience the phone for yourself....Samsung has really brought the phone to beat to the table with the Galaxy S6 Edge and is a phone I have recommend to my friends and family.

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

The Galaxy S Edge comes pack with many features in which you have already heard or read about. Another one of my favorite features is the Standard and Easy mode option. I recently introduced the Galaxy note 3 to father who is new to having a smartphone. One of his concerns were having easy access to his contact list, messaging and pictures. More importantly he appreciate out large the fonts and icons can display on the phone.

Easy Mode                                                       Standard Mode

Screenshot_2015-06-10-23-09-06.pngScreenshot_2015-06-10-20-36-41 (1).png

The Galaxy S6 Edge doesn’t come short and in fact, I have noticed a few more options to allow one to customize how their Easy Mode layout would look.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-23-11-33.png

There are about ten applications that can be turned on within the Easy Mode application. As I mentioned above, this includes a large font size throughout the use of the device.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-23-14-00.png

Once you have accepted the Easy Mode option, you will have additional options to add your favorite apps and contacts for a quick and easy access to the things that means the most to you.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-23-17-49.pngScreenshot_2015-06-10-23-19-06.png

Personally, it doesn’t work for me, but it works great for anyone who is new to smartphones or if you need an easy layout or an easy experience.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee             

0 Comments

I have had the Galaxy S6 Edge for about four weeks now and I must say one of my favorite features is the People Edge.

The People edge is almost like a hidden feature that can be activated from the edge of the screen.

Screenshot_2015-06-08-21-57-04.png

I have my device setup to display on the right edge activated for my own personal convenient of use.

Screenshot_2015-06-08-21-57-34.png

Near the top right corner the first block is the settings options. This is where one can program their device with five important contacts who are identified with a unique color.  I wish I could set up more than five important users, but while using it five seem to have been an efficient number of contacts to have. Besides, it does say your “most important” contacts.

S6.3.jpg

You can also adjust the order of the contacts by selecting edit from within the “My people” and then press, hold and drag your contact of choice in any order as you wish.

S6.4.jpg

Upon picking up your device, you can turn on the Alert feature by picking up your device and it will notify you if a notification has been sent by one of your most contacts.

If the notification is on and if you receive a notification, it while light up on the edge of your phone home screen. In my photo below, it is listed as purple.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-20-36-41.png

Next, you can pull out the notification and you will see what type of notification along with the total from that contact and the options to respond back to your contact.

Note: you must have Smart alert on to see the notification when you pick up the device.

0 Comments

For a number of years, I had paid for device insurance on my phones and it wasn’t until I got ready to use it when I realized I was better off without it. That is when I started looking into some form of a case to protect my device. I have been through many and there are certainly thousands to choose from. Most I found to be bulky and others I found inadequate to protect a drop from a table or a chair height. Rand.

My brand of choice is the Spigen brand. It works and looks great wrapped around my Galaxy S6 Edge device. It is thin and it doesn’t add a lot of weight to my device.

In fact, it is a ritual of mine to always drop my new device. It is not by choice, but it always seems to happen. Needless to say, my case is already broke in.

Today, I am using the Neo Hybrid case. It comes in three different trim color which includes silver, gold and gunmetal. I went with the silver as I figured it would highlight my blue phone well.

20150608_204347.jpg20150608_204420.jpg

The case has held up very well in protecting my device corners with its polycarbonate frame and the edges are protected by the rubber bumper which protects the glass. I really appreciate the back of the case as it feels great in the hand with a little texture for a better grip.

20150608_204452.jpg

The cut outs for the charging ports, speaker, headset jack and microphone compliment the layout of the device well. The volume rocker and the power key are easy to work with little to no effort.

20150608_204531.jpg

0 Comments

One of the things I admire about the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is its great battery life. It comes with a 2600 mAh embedded battery that provides:
  • Talk Time: up to 26 hours
  • Music Play Time: Up to 58 hours
  • Video Play Time: Up to 13 hours
  • Internet Use Time: 3G: Up to 10 hours; LTE: Up to 12 hours; Wi-Fi: Up to 13 hours

However, even with great battery life, there are still times when you need to conserve your battery usage and make it go the distance. Fortunately, the GS6 Edge has two modes to assist in maximizing your battery life? Power Saving Mode and Ultra Power Saving Mode.

Power Saving Mode

If you need to save some battery juice, try using Power Saving Mode. When enabled, it saves battery life through?

• Limiting the maximum CPU performance
  • Reducing screen brightness
  • Reducing frame rate
  • Turning off the touch key light
  • Turning off vibration feedback
  • Reducing the time before the screen is turned off when notifications are received

Ultra Power Saving Mode

This mode is perfect for extreme situations. If you?re down to only ten percent battery life (for example), you should enable Ultra Power Saving Mode. Ultra Power Saving Mode can give you up to a day of additional usage. It accomplishes this by?

• Applying a grayscale theme on your device
  • Restricting application usage to just the essentials and those apps selected by you
  • Turning off mobile data when the screen is off
  • Turning off Wi-Fi
  • Turning off Bluetooth

To activate either of these modes, go to SETTINGS > BATTERY and enable.

battery.png

You can also access these modes through the quick settings panel on your device by dragging down from the top of the screen. If you don?t see Ultra Power Saving Mode there, tapping edit will allow you to add Ultra Power Saving Mode to your quick settings panel menu.

quicksettings.png

Samsung has really done a great job with building these power saving modes into their UI. If you have a GS6 or GS6 Edge, definitely give these modes a try!

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is available for purchase at Sprint.

0 Comments

What makes the S6 Edge a little better than the alternate? The edge display has its uses other than just looking really cool. Notifications, stock ticker, peoples edge etc... These are all a reason to spend the extra few bucks to get this awesome device. I love being able to put the phone on my night stand in the night and see the time illuminated.

The Peoples Edge is not a wrestling move by The Rock. It is a great feature that may help not make enemies at your local movie theater. You the user can set your five favorite contacts, when your at the theater keep your phone screen side down on your lap or arm rest. When someone from your conact list calls or text the affiliating color will highlight letting you know who is contacting you.

The Information stream is another feature that highlights and lifts this phone above the standard one. You the user can set what you want to see. Sports scores, stock tickers and the latest new reports. The information stream will save you time and battery life as the rest of the screen stays dark as you flip through your stream. I suggest everyone get the S6 Edge, its just a great device.

s6edge 1.jpg

s6edge2.JPG

Thanks

Stanny George

0 Comments

IMG_6753.jpg

One of the best features of Android is the ability to customize your phone to your liking. Widgets can be added for apps that you use a lot, and the entire look of the phone can change anytime you like by changing wallpaper and fonts. Here are some of the ways that I have been customizing my S6 Edge:

Zedge – Zedge is my go to app on Android when I want to customize my phone. It allows you to change your wallpaper with a selection of thousands of pictures. You can also download free ringtones that you can assign to any contact, or as your default. It also allows you to download notification sounds so you can have different notifications when you get text messages or emails (among lots of other options). The beautiful screen on the Galaxy S6 Edge shows off the awesome wallpaper selections that Zedge offers.

Samsung App Store – If you have had a Samsung phone in the past, then you probably have visited the Samsung app store. Within the store you can download a lot of cool additions for your phone. In previous versions of the Galaxy series, Samsung put a ton of features on the phone out of the box. On the S6 Edge, they allow you to download the features that you use, and keep the ones you don’t off your phone. I love different camera filters and options so I have been downloading all the camera attachments. You can also get new fonts for your phone which changes up font throughout every part of your phone.

Themes – A lot of phone manufactures are now offering customized themes to download on the phone. These themes change icons, sounds, wallpaper, widgets, and other options. You can choose from a bunch of themes on the new theme store. I put on an Avengers theme for a while and it changed the ringtone, notifications, and the look of the icons/wallpaper. There are a ton of themes to choose from to help the phone fit your personality.

I find myself changing up the look of my phone almost daily. The apps and features that are on the Galaxy S6 Edge make it quick and easy to do so. You can literally change the entire software look of your phone in seconds.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

I don't normally write "final thoughts" blogs about devices. But this time it's different.

twins_s.jpg

I'm going to miss the "twins." My twins, whom I've been fathering for over six weeks now, are the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. I've grown fond of their speed, power, grace and service. They've been both treated me well and I will definitely be revisiting both of these devices in the future. Both devices are sleek and powerful. They each have eight cores, ready to my bidding no matter the task. Each device has a beautiful, quad-HD resolution Super AMOLED display that greeted me with a bright smile each and every morning, and a svelte and strong aluminum alloy frame surrounding their dual-sided, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 faces. Yes, I'm going to miss having you both nearby as I move on to launch another great Sprint device, the LG G4.

I can't ever bring myself to call any device or gadget "perfect." But the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge come about as close to that "moon" as you're going to find today. However, they aren't without issues. But almost every issue uncovered is a matter of taste or opinion. For example, I wish the screen were a little larger...say, 5.5" or so. But I really much prefer the svelte frame of the S series over that of the larger Note series and their 5.7" screens.

The battery life of the S6 was decent. It didn't knock my socks off, like that of the Note series and their on-board "car batteries." But, the S6 got me through a medium-duty day every time without fail. With heavy use I felt I needed to throw a little charge on it during the evening commute to feel "safe" that my phone wouldn't die in the evening no matter what activity came up. (Note: Ultra Power Saver mode was always my "plan C" and does in deed carry you through every time.)

That said, the battery life of the S6 edge was...less assuring, despite having slightly larger battery. I'm not sure if the lower-than-desired battery life is caused by the extra functionality of the edge screen; People edge, Edge notifications or Edge lighting. However, I really like those features! It's what sets the S6 edge apart of the other players in the market. But knew I couldn't make it through a medium-duty day without a little charge time at some point. And heavy use days...fogetaboutit (unless you're packing some extra juice). Maybe a future software update will help make more efficient use of juice. I sure hope so.

twins-back_s.jpg

Many of the devices that I get to test and launch wind up being handed off to friends or coworkers, or maybe handed down to a family member. But not the twins. They are special. And honestly, they are truly "keepers" in every sense of the word. So for now, it won't be 'Goodbye', it will be 'See ya later.' And who knows what Samsung may produce in the coming months or years. It might be something better, but I'm having a hard time imagining what that could be...today. For me, I will be trading Gorilla Glass for Full Grain leather...for now.

If you're on the fence about what new device to get when you're upgrade eligible, I can't recommend the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge enough. They each are power-house devices, packed into super model beach bodies. Power, beauty, brains, ease of use, stylish good looks, and more connectivity than you shake a stick at. You get it all with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.

If you have questions about any features or attributes of the S6 or S6 edge, please leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

Thanks, and until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

I don't normally write "final thoughts" blogs about devices. But this time it's different.

twins_s.jpg

I'm going to miss the "twins." My twins, whom I've been fathering for over six weeks now, are the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. I've grown fond of their speed, power, grace and service. They've been both treated me well and I will definitely be revisiting both of these devices in the future. Both devices are sleek and powerful. They each have eight cores, ready to my bidding no matter the task. Each device has a beautiful, quad-HD resolution Super AMOLED display that greeted me with a bright smile each and every morning, and a svelte and strong aluminum alloy frame surrounding their dual-sided, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 faces. Yes, I'm going to miss having you both nearby as I move on to launch another great Sprint device, the LG G4.

I can't ever bring myself to call any device or gadget "perfect." But the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge come about as close to that "moon" as you're going to find today. However, they aren't without issues. But almost every issue uncovered is a matter of taste or opinion. For example, I wish the screen were a little larger...say, 5.5" or so. But I really much prefer the svelte frame of the S series over that of the larger Note series and their 5.7" screens.

The battery life of the S6 was decent. It didn't knock my socks off, like that of the Note series and their on-board "car batteries." But, the S6 got me through a medium-duty day every time without fail. With heavy use I felt I needed to throw a little charge on it during the evening commute to feel "safe" that my phone wouldn't die in the evening no matter what activity came up. (Note: Ultra Power Saver mode was always my "plan C" and does in deed carry you through every time.)

That said, the battery life of the S6 edge was...less assuring, despite having slightly larger battery. I'm not sure if the lower-than-desired battery life is caused by the extra functionality of the edge screen; People edge, Edge notifications or Edge lighting. However, I really like those features! It's what sets the S6 edge apart of the other players in the market. But knew I couldn't make it through a medium-duty day without a little charge time at some point. And heavy use days...fogetaboutit (unless you're packing some extra juice). Maybe a future software update will help make more efficient use of juice. I sure hope so.

twins-back_s.jpg

Many of the devices that I get to test and launch wind up being handed off to friends or coworkers, or maybe handed down to a family member. But not the twins. They are special. And honestly, they are truly "keepers" in every sense of the word. So for now, it won't be 'Goodbye', it will be 'See ya later.' And who knows what Samsung may produce in the coming months or years. It might be something better, but I'm having a hard time imagining what that could be...today. For me, I will be trading Gorilla Glass for Full Grain leather...for now.

If you're on the fence about what new device to get when you're upgrade eligible, I can't recommend the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge enough. They each are power-house devices, packed into super model beach bodies. Power, beauty, brains, ease of use, stylish good looks, and more connectivity than you shake a stick at. You get it all with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.

If you have questions about any features or attributes of the S6 or S6 edge, please leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

Thanks, and until next time,

0 Comments

The finger print scanner on this Galaxy S6 Edge is amazing.  It is so easy to set up the finger print scanner and you can scan multiple fingers.  It takes an average about 2-3 minutes to set this feature up.  What’s nice about the set-up is that it will ask you to scan the edges of your finger as well.

GS6.jpg

(Image taken from Google)

The Galaxy S6 Edge is not the first Samsung phone that had a finger print scanner.  I know that the Note 4 has a scanner but with that phone you have to slide our finger across the home button.  The best part of the Galaxy S6 Edge is that you don’t have to slide your finger, all you have to do is place your finger on the home button to scan your finger.  And the phone almost instantly recognizes your finger print.  That’s what’s so great about the scanner on this phone. 

There are other functions/apps that you can use with the Galaxy S6 Edge finger print scanner such as Web Sign- in, Verify Samsung account, and paying with PayPal.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

2 Comments

So I have a confession to make. Ever since Apple introduced the finger print scanner on the iPhone I was always a little jealous. I am not an iFan, I most certainly prefer the openness and customization's offered by Google and Android; not to mention the wide selection of awesome devices from Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola and etc...

So when I found out that Samsung, starting with the Note 4, was adding this technology into their devices I got a bit giddy. Now after using it on the S6 Edge I wonder to myself, how will I ever unlock my phone without it!

The process is simple, and bit time consuming. Upon setup you are offered to set it up right then and there...however you can always go to settings->lock screen and security->fingerprints and complete this or even edit things....but more on that in a bit.

galaxys6officialhomebuttonjpg-1.jpgsamsung-galaxy-s6-34-710x399.jpg

So you are asked to place your thumb/finger multiple times on the sensor, I suggest - as does the phone - placing your finger little by little at different areas. This will help the phone scan and capture a more complete and larger fingerprint. After about a minute or so you will then be asked to setup a backup password, incase you are unable to scan your device, or it doesn't scan. With that you are done! Now you can unlock your phone via finger

print.

(Photo's from iPhoneHacks.com (love the irony!) and AndroidAuthority.com)

atg4e.jpg

Head over to the settings described above and you can enable your fingerprint to also sign-in via the web and/or verify your Samsung account. In addition you can add additional fingerprints to your unlock profile...Use this to add your opposite thumb/finger. Add a spouses finger (or not). This added feature really enhances the overall experience because if your right hand (I'm right handed) is holding your child (as my usually is) you can still unlock your phone without having to wake said child by shifting him/her.

To good to be true? No not at all, this security feature is bagofchips.jpg!!!!!!!!!!

But here are a few tips/tricks I have for ya:

• For best results use a dry/clean from debris finger. I've only experienced issues after washing my hands and gardening, so a clean/dry finger is best
  • Alter your finger's position to ensure a larger, more complete scan during setup
  • Do not hesitate to add in fingerprints of the SAME finger
  • You do not have to always place your finger perfectly on the scanner...if you took the above advice you can do it upside down, sideways and the like. This really improves the experience as you do not have to put any thought into the whole process.

What are some tips/tricks you've come across?

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I had the privilege of using both the Galaxy Note Edge and the S6 Edge for a long period of time. They both are very unique and have a lot of new features that make the phone stand out in a crowd. That being said, the differences in how you use both phones has really been very different for me. The Note Edge actually had a lot more features that used the functionality of the Edge screen. Some of the features moved over to the S6 Edge, but some were not included. In the end that is not necessarily a bad thing. It really all depends on how you want to use your phone.

The Note Edge really turned the Edge screen into a separate functioning part of the phone. I was using it all the time to get notifications, which ended up freeing space on the main screen. If you were in the middle of a task and received a notification, the Edge screen would tell you what it was and you will still have the entire screen to do whatever you were in the progress of doing. I also loved being able to swipe the screen to check out sports scores and breaking news.

screenshot.jpg

The Galaxy S 6 Edge screen really acts more of a “favorite contact” area. My favorite feature of the phone is how you can assign colors to your top contacts. When they call or text, your phone will light up in that color and you will see a little colored tab on the edge screen. You are able to see some of the sports scores and breaking news, but it is not as easy to get to as on the Note Edge. You can also use it as a night clock which is a pretty cool feature which allows you to see the time, while not having to turn on and off your phone.

IMG_6753.jpg

It is very clear that these two phones were built to do different things. Samsung received feedback from its initial Edge screen phone and toned down the interactive features. It really makes for a better looking phone, but I do miss some of the Edge screen integration. I am sure Samsung will continue to learn and innovate, and I cannot wait for the next version of a phone where they utilize the beautiful edge screen technology.

0 Comments

betogether2.jpg

No not the guitarist from U2, my Galaxy S6 edge of course.

And no, this isn't really a blog about the phone as much as it is about this year's Google Developer Conference and all of the cool stuff that was going on, captured her courtesy of the S6 edge's excellent camera tech.

I really like the recent "Be Together, Not the Same" Android campaign, which highlights the open nature of Android and plays on the fact that there are all sorts of devices that run on Android and your phone can be as individual as the individual him or herself.  As you can see, at IO15 they had a this cool display with all sorts of different devices and form factors, underscored by a bunch of Androidify avatars.  Another thing I like about Android, it's FUN!

layingaround.jpg

So, one thing I was not super impressed with was that I guess I didn't pick up my wristband in time to get admitted to the Keynote, so myself and several hundred of other folks in the same boat were banished to the "Playground" to watch the Keynote on 25' monitors.  Not the end of the world but I have been to IO a couple of times before and there's just a certain excitement and electricity in the air when announcements are being made that just doesn't come through watching it on TV.  Still, it was cool to be among all of the other attendees learning about the announcements at the same time and man, those beanbag pillows were comfy!

wear1.jpg

wear2.jpg

Android Wear was front and center this year with lots of tracks about developing for wearables and the growth of the ecosystem.  I have been a Wear fan since the beginning with my first smartwatch the Samsung Gear Live, and considering the first devices (Gear Live and LG G Watch) were launched on June 24th 2014, for being less than a year old, there have been alot of killer updates, most recently with Wi-Fi support and wrist gestures.  Can't wait to see what comes next for Wear!

ATAP1.jpg

atap2.jpg

ATAP (Advanced Technology and Projects) was definitely in the house this year at IO15.  A holdover from the Motorola acquisition, ATAP is a self-described "band of pirates" looking to do "epic ****".  Concerned with mobile first as a rule, ATAP is pushing the boundaries of what is possible, focusing on next generation technologies for mobile.  Run by Regina Dugan (formerly of DARPA), ATAP has a reputation for boldly going where most business divisions dare not to tread, and I really like their swagger.  Unfortunately I got to the second day of the conference just a few minutes before the ATAP session and the doors were closed and locked by the time I showed up.  Once again, I had to watch the session in the Playground.  But hey, better than nothing and there were all sorts of cool updates on Project Soli (controlling a smartphone with radar scanned hand movements), Project Jacquard (smart clothing), Project Vault (encrypted storage via secure element on an SD card), Project Tango (device situational awareness through 3d scanning and mapping) and Project Ara, the modular smartphone concept that actually had it's first working device that booted to Android.  Very very cool stuff.  Luckily, you can catch the session here:

Finally, I'll share one more photo, and I'm sorry it's a little bit blurry cam.  Not the edge's fault as much as my zooming and shaky grip on the device.

googlex.jpg

This was probably my favorite session of the entire event and was done by Astro Teller, "Captain of Moonshots" at Google X.  It was about how Google manages their "moonshots" (incredibly aspirational projects) in the "real world".  I loved this session because in it, Astro talks about all of the wild projects the Google X team has worked on (Project Loon, internet ballons in the stratosphere, self driving cars, etc) and how it's OK TO FAIL.  Key takeaways were: Try big things.  Think beyond what you think is possible.  Most importantly: If you don't fail you can never improve.  If you don't dream big you will never try and if you never try you will never fail.  It really got me to thinking how we can bring some of that dreamer quality to Sprint and think beyond what is possible.  If we are really the new Sprint then we need to walk the walk.  I would love to see Sprint get some of our swagger back!  With the network improving and us fixing core aspects of our business, I know we can!

Thanks again to Google for another year of inspiring sessions at IO, and thanks to my Galaxy S6 edge for capturing it all.

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

logo-s6-edge-v.png

avengers themes.jpg

I grew up reading Marvel comics from Spider-Man to the Avengers with Captain America as my favorite. Even in my office I have some vintage toys including a vintage Hulk. One of the things I discovered on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is the various theme options Samsung has. I am going to focus on the Avengers: Age of Ultron themes that are available.... so which Avenger did I end up downloading and installing?

Theme 2.PNG

Yes, I went with the Hulk on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.... Hulk smashhhhhhh..... I selected the Hulk because there was something about this theme that I liked over the others. I checked out Captain America, Ironman and Thor which are all my favorite Avengers and liked the Hulk over the others on my S6 Edge. Adding a theme is very easy and there are other themes available to select from for downloading.

Theme 1.PNG

Five Simple Steps to Downloading Themes

• Long press on the home screen.
  • Tap the "Themes" icon.
  • Then tap the Theme Store icon in the top right corner.
  • Select your theme.
  • Download and apply the theme and you're all set.

One more thing I noticed about my Hulk theme that is really kewl.... move the phone around and it looks like he is moving similar to a prism/hologram. My daughter likes my Hulk theme on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Visit a Sprint store to check out the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to see which Avenger you will select!

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

I was doing my normal random web surfing over lunch today and ran into a pretty interesting way to customize your S6 Edge.  If you’ve seen the S6 Edge Iron Man edition articles and the EBay prices of over $7K just aren’t within your budget here is an option that is significantly cheaper.   DBrand’s site, https://dbrand.com/shop/galaxy-s6-edge,  provides skin options for the front, back, and camera spaces of your S6 Edge.  The cool thing is you don’t have to stick to a single theme for all three spaces so mix and match as you please.  I ordered the Titanium metal option for the front of my S6 Edge, I held off on including a back and camera skin because I have a great Spigen case and didn’t see the point.  There are eighteen different options to choose from so take your pick, here is what mine will look like once I receive my order:

titanium device.png

Shipping is a reasonable $3 so my order total came to $11. . . a net savings of $6,989 if you can go without the Iron Man logo.    When I receive my order and have a chance to apply the skin I will comment and let you know what I think of the fit and appearance.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Usability and ease of use have long been a priority when I’m assessing a device’s user experience. Any feature that makes the device simpler to use is welcome so thought I would pass along a couple of ways to short cut the steps necessary to place a call on the S6 Edge.   Rather than open the phone interface, scroll through your contact list and select a contact, then select the call command function cut a step or two out with these two options:

The Swipe

swipev2.png

If you have a contact that regularly stays in your call logs there is a shorter way you can utilize to place future calls.  Again rather than locate the person through your contacts list simply swipe left to right across the entire call log event for the contact in question.  If done correctly you will see a green progression wave track your movement of your finger swipe, pictured above, then the call connection window will appear.

The Motion

direct call.png

Another option available is gesture based.    This one doesn’t cut out as many steps when done through the phone dialer screens but is super handy in the text messaging windows.  No need to swipe or select with this option, when the “Direct Call” option is on simply raise your S6 Edge to your ear in either of the following locations and your call will be automatically placed:

1. Individual contact screen
  2. Text message string

Two quick tips to help you get around your device and get the most out of it.  Check out other Product Ambassador post to learn more, there are several out there that offer up really good tips, tricks, and advice on the S6 Edge.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

I'm not a very fit person and haven't really worked out since high school, so I was very excited once I got the Galaxy S6 Edge to try out Galaxy's "S Health".  This is an internal application from Samsung to help those who want to stay in shape or even get into shape and it comes with several great features.

With Samsung's S Health you are able to keep track of your heart rate,  weight, exercises, food, sleep, and much more.  Some of these features your phone will automatically keep track of for you but there are others that you will have to put in information yourself such as the calorie intake feature.  I have never used this too much myself because...well, ill be honest, I'm just way too lazy to look up calorie numbers and having to put this information in myself, LOL  We are in the 21st century now, we should just be able to take a picture of whatever we are eating and the phone analyzes this picture and inputs our calorie intake automatically.

Anyways, there are some really great features on this app that I do love and one of them are programs.  Now running is not my forte unless I'm running from the couch to the fridge during a commercial to get something because and I don't want to miss anything that I'm watching on TV.  Samsung S Health has pre-installed programs from baby steps to 5K, running a 5K, and running a 10 K.  The program that I started of course is baby steps to 5K.  What this program does is helps people who have never gone running before build healthy workout habits.  You select which days of the week that you would like to run.  Your phone will give you notifications on those days of what you need to run that day and each week your running distances will increase to prepare you for running a 5K on the very last week.

Another great feature is the Heart Rate monitor.  In general this a really cool feature.  You can keep track of your heart rate and see trends.  If your a hard core athlete then you can use this after your exercises or you can use it for stress related issues.

Some of the other features on this app you do have to use with other third party equipment such as a Nike watch or a device the measures your sleeping patterns. All in all, this is a really great application that I have loved using and will continue to use.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Who doesn’t love freebies, especially when they are fantastic freebies? Well, Samsung has got you covered when you purchase a Galaxy S6 Edge, offering a plethora of free apps and services.

gs6edge.png

I highly suggest that you claim the following free perks if you have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (offers apply to the flat GS6 too)…

Microsoft OneDrive: OneDrive is cloud storage for your images, videos, and files. When you own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, you can claim an extra 100GB of storage space for two years. Simply sign into your Microsoft account via the OneDrive app on your GS6 Edge to claim this offer.

Hancom Office 2014: Samsung provides free access to Hancom Office 2014, which enables you to work on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.

Evernote Premium: Everyone’s favorite note-taking app, Evernote, has partnered with Samsung to provide a free three month subscription to its premium service. Some of the premium features include collaborative editing, pdf annotation, business card scanning, and more.

Parallels: Remotely control your computer via a six month free subscription to Parallels, available for GS6 Edge users.

Workout Trainer: Enjoy a 6 month trial of the Workout Trainer Pro+ membership on your GS6 Edge. Access a plethora of HD exercise videos with professional audio coaching.

Endomondo Sports Tracker Premium: Claim your six months free of the premium version of Endomondo and track your workouts like a pro!

The Economist: Enjoy reporting, commentary and analysis on world current affairs, business and financial news with a free 6-month subscription for GS6 Edge users.

NYTimes: GS6 Edge owners can keep informed on world news, national news, business, arts, technology and more, with a 12-week free subscription.

Kindle for Samsung: GS6 Edge owners can enjoy a free download of 1 book per month.

Audible (Audiobooks): Audiobooks are such a convenient way to consume a book, and a 3-month free subscription to Audible is offered to Galaxy S6 Edge users.

Magisto Video Editor & Maker: Enjoy 3 months free to Magisto Pro HD for Galaxy S6 Edge users, offering a variety of visual effects and music, allowing you to create movies.

The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth: Play as an Elf or Dwarf and join Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin to build an empire and dominate the realm of Middle-earth. An extra game pack is offered to Galaxy S6 edge users.

Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs of the Dragon: Raise and train a legendary army of Dragons as you build a kingdom to rule Atlantis. An extra game pack is offered Galaxy S6 edge users.

So, as you can see above, there are a handful of useful and fun offers to claim if you’re a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge owner. Don't forget to claim these great offers and take advantage of them!

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is available for purchase at Sprint.

0 Comments

Do you ever find yourself inside a building where coverage is a bit sketchy, or even non-existent? It can be stressful when you cannot receive or make calls and messages with your device. The great news is that there is a solution for this issue called WiFi Calling. It is one of my favorite features and is only available on select smartphones. I am pleased to write that one of these select devices is the awesome Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

What is WiFi Calling?

WiFi calling is a free feature provided by Sprint. Sprint?s WiFi Calling enhances coverage in WiFi areas. On your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, it allows you to call or message over a WiFi connection at no extra charge. Since you?re calling and texting over a WiFi network, your activity does not count against any minute, text, or data limits on your Sprint plan. However, international rates still apply for international numbers.

wificalinggs6edge.png

How to Enable WiFi Calling on your GS6Edge

It is simple to enable WiFi Calling on your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. Just follow these easy:

1. Go to Settings > WiFi Calling > and turn it on
  2. If you?re already connected to a WiFi network, available WiFi Calling networks will appear. If you?re not already connected to a WiFi Network, click manage WiFi Settings and connect to a network.  After connected, come back to this area and you?ll see the WiFi network you?re connected to listed under ?WiFi Calling Networks.?
  3. Tap on your WiFi Calling Network, correct physical address as needed (for 911 information), verify address, and hit save. Then tap to turn on.
  4. Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner and select WiFi Range Alert. The follow message will appear ?Enable weak signal audio alert: This service will provide you with In-Call audio alerts when you are going out of range of your connected network. If you hear an audio alert, move closer to you Wi-Fi access point.? I suggest enabling this feature so you are aware when you are walking out of your WiFi Calling range.

Now that you have enabled WiFi Calling on your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, you can keep in touch over WiFi if you?re in a coverage challenged area. Something to note, if you change WiFi networks, you need to enable the new network for WiFi calling. Simply go to WiFi Calling and tap on the WiFi Calling network to enable this feature on the new WiFi network.

gs6edge.png

In my opinion, this useful feature is yet another reason to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, available from Sprint.

0 Comments

The camera on the Galaxy S6 Edge is fantastic. Prior to using the S6 Edge I was using the Galaxy Note Edge. I really didn’t think a camera could get much better, but the picture quality on the S6 Edge really takes it to the next level. In the past Samsung has put a lot of options on the camera and it has seemed cluttered. On a lot of their recent phones they have minimized the options and allowed you to download them from the store if you want to use them.

One of the nice pre-loaded options is the effect menu. I don’t alter a lot of my pictures but it’s really awesome to be able to see a preview of all the effects option on one screen. A lot of phones make you scroll through the effects one at a time. By seeing them all together it allows you choose whichever looks best in that photo.

Pic Sample 2.png

I have found that the S6 Edge takes great pictures in both good lighting and low light situations. A lot of cameras struggle to get a good low light picture, but the S6 Edge really is a step above the rest. Now that I have a phone with a great camera, I find myself taking a lot more pictures. I have been traveling and seeing a lot of family and the S6 Edge has really allowed me to capture and store those memories for a lifetime.

Pic Sample.jpg

0 Comments

Just about every smart phone user has that one thing that will make or break their experience and overall lasting impression of a device. For me that one thing is the camera.

I loved the HTC One M8 for the front facing speakers but the camera was a dud. I also had a pretty good experience with the LG G Flex2 and although it took great pictures, I was disappointed that it lacked wide range of camera features.

Samsung seems to always excel in making great cameras and I am happy to report that the Galaxy S6 Edge does not disappoint. Here is a few specs and features to get us going:

• 5MP front facing camera
  • 16MP rear camera
  • Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
  • f/9 aperture to allow more light
  • Quick launch with a double tap of button
  • Modes including selective focus, slow motion, fast motion and virtual shot

There is a Pro Mode option for the true camera nut that wants even more control over settings to override auto and set ISO, white balance other features manually. You can even save your customized settings as presets for later use.

I have especially found it handy to be able to double tap the home button and quick launch the camera. That is a really good feature.

But wait there is more!

Not enough modes for you? Just tap on the download icon and you will be taken right to the Samsung App store where you can add you favorite extra features. You will have to go here if you want additional modes including sports shot, dual camera, beauty face and others. Here are some screen shots of the camera menu. Notice the download option in the bottom corner. Once this option has been selected, you will next get a wide array of modes to add to your camera as options.

camera menue.jpg

I am not sure why these were not pre-loaded as many of these had been standard for Samsung in the past. Many users will not notice this option so don’t forget to check the store if you really want every available mode for while you are shooting. 

Post picture taking there are a wide array of editing tools so that the use of third part app is really not needed to crop, make a collage or adjust colors.

Okay so enough about the bells and whistles as that means nothing if the camera does not take great pictures in a variety of circumstances. Keep in mind the pictures I am posting here are not at full quality due to the MB limit of the blog post.

Camera Pics.jpg

My only ding I can come up with is the lack of an SD card option. I have gone so camera and video happy that in my short time with this device there is already 9.5GB of memory being used for media. Thank goodness for the cloud.

Sunset PIC.jpg

The camera takes great pictures and makes the Galaxy S6 Edge a really winner for me. I highly recommend.

0 Comments

Galaxy S6 Edge Camera

The camera on the Galaxy S6 Edge has been one of the best cameras that I have used on a phone.  The Galaxy S6 Edge has a 16 megapixel camera on the back.

The Galaxy S6 Edge has an f/1.9 aperture.  This lets the camera take in more light that the pictures came out much brighter and clearer. 

One great feature of the S6 is that you can pull up the camera in just 7 seconds by double pressing the home button.  Samsung has made the options on the camera really easy.  On the camera side, there are 4 basic setting which are Flash, Timer, HDR, and Effect.

There are 8 “Mode” options which are Auto, Pro, Selective Focus, Panorama, Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Virtual Shot, and Download.  Some of these modes are basically self-explanatory but there are other that are just really fun to use.  If you’re a serious photographer than you may want “Pro Mode” which will allow you to change certain settings such as white balance and ISO.  Slow Motion is really fun to use for videos.  It not only slows down your video but it also includes audio which also slows down.  My favorite mode to use is Virtual Shot.  When you select this mode your screen will tell you to choose one object and after you tap your picture button you are to walk around the object and it takes the picture in a 3D mode.  After the picture has been taken then you can use your finger to rotate around the picture.

Now I don’t have any other recent high end phones such as the Note 4 or HTC One M9 so below is a great link to Phonearena.com that compares the GS6 camera to the Note 4, HTC M9, and Iphone 6.  I thought that this would be a great comparison if your wanting to know how the Galaxy S6 stacks up against the rest.  I personally would choose the Galaxy S6 camera over any other phone.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Camera-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-vs-HTC-One-M9-Galaxy-Note-4-iPhon...

0 Comments

e_1_edge_pc.jpg

gearfit.jpg

Being able to snag a gear fit I really wanted to see how both devices worked together. I have to say going into it I wasn’t all that excited for the gear fit. I didn’t think it would work very well. I am happy to say I was wrong and the Marriage between my Galaxy S6 and Gear fit is wonderful. First off I’ll start by saying the Gear fit battery life is amazing for a smart wearable. I averaged a full five to six days, that’s amazing to the competition at this point. I didn’t have to disable anything on the Gear or the S6 to save power, they both managed themselves very well according to battery life.

Samsung’s built in S-Health is really the biggest piece of the puzzle with having a Samsung Wearable. S-Health tracks my heart rate, calories, steps, food, exercise, water intake and sleep monitoring. Being on a fitness kick as of late I really enjoy being able look at my data and seeing what I can improve and what I’m doing well. This is crucial if you’re trying to meet a goal. Not to mention being a nerd I think it is so cool!

wp30dd959b_06.png

Downloading the Gear manager on my Galaxy S6, I was able to customize my watch faces and shortcuts. I didn’t see any impact of the battery life of my phone which was very important to me. I figured I would notice a drop with how much they communicate with each other.

My favorite feature of all was tracking my heart rate throughout the day and while I was exercising. The Gear Fit would monitor my heart rate while running and inform me of my BPM target. With my heart being monitored it can calculate calories burned. This is obviously not 100% but it seemed pretty realistic give or take 50-100 calories

0 Comments

Capture2.PNG

Samsung has provided the ability to disable some apps that cannot be uninstalled and uninstall other apps very quickly. I tried this on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and would like to share with those not familiar with this option how to remove or disable apps they do not use.

Note: If you remove a pre-installed app, you may not be able to reinstall it without resetting your phone. Make sure that you realy will not need that app if the uninstall option is used.

disable.PNG

The steps to disable or uninstall an app are very easy and quick. For me this was actually easier and faster than uninstalling through Google Play Store or App manager for apps I no longer use or need.

1. Tap on Apps all apps iconicon
  2. Tap Edit in the top right.
    • Any Apps that can be disabled will have a circle with a dash in it.
  3. Select the App you want to Disable or Uninstall
  4. Press OK or Uninstall
    • If an App is being Disabled, information is provided how to re-enable it if needed
    • If an App is Uninstalled, the App is removed instantly

I have removed and/or disable several apps using this method on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. This also helps free up space on my phone for apps I do not use or no longer need.

Visit a Sprint store to check out a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge this Memorial Day weekend to capture some great pictures that will last a lifetime!

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Spigen makes some sweet protection for most modern smartphones. We Sprint Product Ambassadors love it when Spigen tosses a few samples our way to evaluate because we all know they fit right, they look sharp and, most importantly, they protect the goods.

I've been using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid since the first day I fired up my Galaxy S6 edge. I prefer cases that protect with minimum bulk and the Ultra Hybrid fits the bill perfectly. Not only does it add (not detract) to the design and build of my S6 edge but it also protects from life's little mishaps.

Check out the "air gap" corner protection built into this slim yet protective case (sorry about the pocket lint). I've accidentally dropped my S6 edge a few times and nary a scratch or crack.

20150522_130016-1.jpg

The fit is excellent with perfect cut-outs for speaker, charge / sync port, headphone jack and microphones. Notice the generous cutouts around the charge / sync port and headphone jack to accommodate ALL charge / sync cables and headphone jacks, even aftermarket cables with large, bulky blocks.

20150522_125909-1_resized_1.jpg

The top of the case is just as precise with perfect cutouts around the IR port and noise reduction mic port.

20150522_125919-1_resized_1.jpg

The buttons on the side blend in seamlessly with the case, almost disappearing from view. I chose the crystal clear case to show off the beauty of my S6 edge.

20150522_125940-1_resized_1.jpg

As of now, you can't buy Spigen cases in Sprint retail stores (hopefully that will change soon). You have to get them from Spigen or other online retailers. You won't be disappointed! I love Spigen cases so much that I buy my own Spigen cases for other devices when I don't get a free sample. Check out my other blog and read more.

I hope this helps you decide which case is right for you and your Galaxy S6 edge!

Until next time,