cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 edge: Nearly unlimited storage - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Last year Samsung's S6 and S6 edge devices did away with the microSD card slot. Samsung thought most customers would not miss the change. Well...they were wrong. And they listened. So this year the microSD card slot is back!

Not only did Samsung reintroduce the SD card slot for S7 and S7 edge owners, but they went one step further by including a micro-USB to USB-A dongle adapter in the box. This means you can attach a normal USB "thumb drive" to your S7/S7 edge to back up or copy files and media. Below is pictured my S7 edge, the box and the micro-USB to USB-A adapter (the thumb drive is mine and does not come with the Galaxy device).

storage-1.jpg

There's no setting to change or check, just plug in the adapter and plug a thumb drive into the adapter. Voila! Instant storage for backing up files, copying media and saving photos. Once you plug in your thumb drive just tap on the USB storage option in the Storage settings (Settings > Storage).

storage-2.jpg

Even without the adapter and thumb drive you can configure your S7/S7 edge to use Google Drive as a cloud service for files, photos and media. Google gives all Gmail account owners at least 15 GB of free cloud storage. I own a Chromebook, which adds 200GB of Google Drive storage so combined together I have 215GB of Google cloud at my disposal.

storage-2g.jpg

But wait there's more!

Use the included SIM tool or a push-pin to pop out the SIM/microSD card tray from the top edge of the device and you now have access to the re-introduced microSD card storage slot. The device does not come with a microSD card so you have to "BYOC." The Galaxy S7/S7 edge devices support up to 200GB microSD memory cards. Note: The Galaxy S7/S7 edge devices do not support Android Marshmallow's Adoptable Storage, but you can still use the card for media storage.

storage-4.jpg

photo credit: phandroid.com

storage-5.jpg

photo credit: androidcentral.com

If you choose to use your own microSD card slot you will want to make sure your data stays protected even if you lose or misplace the memory card, or if your device is stolen. When you enable device encryption, the microSD card is not encrypted by default. Go into Settings > Lock screen and security > Encrypt SD card to encrypt the card to the device. Once you encrypt the card to the device it cannot be read unless or until it is reinserted back in the original device and the device is properly unlocked.

storage-6.jpg

photo credit: androidcentral.com

I hope you find these tips to be useful. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassador

CJ

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee