cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Receive Voice Calls

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to Receive Voice Calls

This seems to be a common theme across Sprint's network rather than an S7 Edge-specific issue, so this may be the wrong place for this discussion, but this is a frequent and frustrating problem that I have only personally experienced on this device. Every time I travel internationally and use Sprint Open World roaming rather than buying a local SIM, I am unable to receive voice calls when I get back to the U.S. 

I have tried all of the obvious things, including updating the PRL, updating the Profile, power cycling, cycling airplane mode on and off, etc. If i update both the PRL and the Profile, I can receive exactly one voice call that will ring my phone, then after that it appears to reset and again sends incoming calls straight to voicemail. I have also verified that this is not a local issue, as I have tried to use my phone in LA, Charlotte N.C., and Michigan in the last few days. 

I would love to keep my Sprint account, but this phone is for both business and personal use and missed calls with no notification are completely unacceptable. I'd like to get this fixed by the end of the weekend to avoid further embarrassing disruptions to my business. I would really like to talk to a technically qualified representative who can explain and fix the issue. Please do not make me waste my time going through the customer service line and level 1 support, as this is obviously a more complex technical issue and I have already tried to obvious fixes and ruled out local connectivity issues. 

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: Unable to Receive Voice Calls

The issue is that, your phone will download and install the settings needed to use GSM network overseas.
What you need to do is do a hands free activation on your phone once back in the US.
Or you can go to Settings - General Management - Reset - Reset Network Settings.

Also make sure your phone is not set on GSM/UMTS
Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network Mode - you can put it on Automatic or LTE/CDMA
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is the hands-free activation a work-around, or the ideal solution? I ask because it seems that going through this every time I travel to a GSM country (most of the world) and back is less than ideal. I tried the complete network setting reset, and while I lost all of my saved wifi passwords and bluetooth connection information, my phone is still unable to receive calls. 

Also I should emphasize that through this process, mobile data and texts have continued to work. I eventually receive voicemails as well. It's only incoming calls that seems to present a problem. Again, thank you for your help so far, any other suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
Master

It kind of makes sense since the Voice is going via CDMA and not LTE (GSM).
Did you try to go under Mobile Network settings? what is it showing there?
When I travel overseas I use a local SIM and I have to change the APN settings for GSM to the ones for that company and when I come back I have to go in and delete those settings.
Please take a screenshot of the Network Mode screen and of the APN (Access Point Names) screen and post it here if you can.
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Master

by the way, a temp patch will be to have it on WiFi calling while under WiFi
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have posted a screenshot of the APN settings. Unfortunately WiFi calling isn't a great workaround when I'm on the road. I will consider buying a local SIM in the future, but for work calls it's much more convenient to keep the same number and not have to deal with call forwarding or VoIP or other solutions. 

To answer a few questions:

• Yes, network mode is set to Automatic
  • I have tried cycling between automatic & LTE/CDMA to force a reset of connection settings
  • As I mentioned in my initial post, the most frustrating part is that I can reset both the Profile and PRL and get a very limited window where the phone works again. It appears that when I reset the Profile and PRL it will work until I cycle wifi, at which point calls will again go to voicemail. Whether I start with WiFi on or off, as soon as I cycle it to the opposite state, the calls stop going through. So it appears a temporary workaround may be to reset the PRL and profile with WiFI off and leave it off for the duration, although this is again a very 
  • The APN list does not change after a Profile/PRL update, despite the change in behavior20170210_170923.png
Highlighted
Master

You mentioned that once you change the state of wifi you stop receiving calls.
Do you keep wifi calling on at all times?

Also try wiping cache on the phone, here are the directions:

Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S7.
Press and then hold the Home and Volume UP keys, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Samsung Galaxy S7 shows on the screen, release the Power key but continue holding the Home and Volume Up keys.
When the Android logo shows, you may release both keys and leave the phone be for about 30 to 60 seconds.
Using the Volume Down key, navigate through the options and highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
Once highlighted, you may press the Power key to select it.
Now highlight the option ‘Yes’ using the Volume Down key and press the Power button to select it.
Wait until your phone is finished wiping the cache partition. Once completed, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and press the Power key.
The phone will now reboot longer than usual.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the continued help and suggestions. It looks like wiping the cache partition again allows me to receive exactly one phone call before it resets and then begins sending calls straight to voicemail.

Highlighted

Hi gmcd05!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Lets take a look into your account and make sure there is nothing causing this from this end. Please reply to the Private Message I sent you.

Michael C

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

I know I should have asked this before, what is your phones model number (settings - about device)
Also, Hardware version (in the same screen).
Highlighted
Journeyman

The model number is a SM-G935P

The hardware version is: REV 0.7

Software version (if relevant) is: G935PVPI4APL6

Highlighted
GrandMaster

was it purchased through Sprint, Samsung or some other route? and are there any other Sprint phones around you that are seeing this as well or is it just your phone? and what all have you attempted so ar on your side to try and fix it?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat