cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 delayed texts and dreaded pink line

Highlighted
Journeyman

S7 delayed texts and dreaded pink line

I've had my S7 since March of 2016 and in the last few weeks I've experienced severely delayed and missing texts from other phones, both iPhone and Android. In one case I received a text four days after it was sent! I'm in zip code 92618 and 90245 most frequently and have tried all the resets possible short of a factory reset. Then, on top of the text delays and missing texts problem, shortly after the latest Android security update, I started experiencing the dreaded "pink line" down the right side of the phone, which comes and goes, but always comes back. I still have seven months left on my contract and I am very disappointed in Samsung at this point, for a flagship product I find this completely unacceptable.

26 REPLIES
Master

Re: S7 delayed texts and dreaded pink line

If you have insurance on the device, you can take it to a Sprint Repair center to look at it. Although, they could end up doing the factory reset on you, so check  before you leave it there in case you need to verify everything is backed up.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Sprint Social Care

Hey nlphoto! Sorry to read about this. What's your software version? An issue with text messages similar to what you're describing should have been solved with an update released on July 5th. Please check yours. If you are actually running on the latest available, we can go ahead and do some troubleshooting. Please provide us with your nearest cross streets along with the ZIP codes, so we can review the network in the area.

You can visit our store locator to find your nearest Repair Store.

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

The nearest cross streets for me would be Alton and Jeffrey (92618) and El Segundo and Aviation Blvd (90245). My software version is G935PVPU4BQH1.

Sprint Social Care

Thanks for the information. I'm just wanting to confirm, is this an S7 or S7 edge we're having the texts issue with? Are you able to make and receive calls with no problem? Did you check if you have any software updates available? Go to Settings > System Update > Tap Download updates manually > If a system update is available, follow the prompts to install the update. And just out of curiosity, is your phone displaying the correct time zone?

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi this is an S7 Edge. I am able to make and receive calls with no problem. Doing a manual system update results in a message: "The latest updates have already been installed. Current version: G935PVPU4BQH1 / G935PSPT4BQH1 / G935PVPU4BQH1". And it is currently showing the correct time zone (Pacific).

Sprint Social Care

Understood! Let's tried a network reset, follow the steps below:

• Step 1: From the home screen, tap Phone.
  • Step 2: Dial ##72786#. (Note: The final # will not appear on the screen. The device will restart and initiate Hands Free Activation.)
  • Step 3: Once the activation is complete, tap OK.
  • Step 4: Once the PRL is updated, tap OK.
  • Step 5: Tap OK to restart the device.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Ok, I tried this and had a couple people text me and I received them right away. I'll keep monitoring this over the next few days, but it does seem to have worked. Thanks.

Sprint Social Care

You are very welcome! Don't hesitate to get back to us.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

The problem has returned, or maybe it was never fixed, have missed multiple texts from different people over the past week, some messages never showed up at all, others show up 3 or more days late. This is getting frustrating -- not to mention the pink line problem that has never been resolved.

Sprint Social Care

Hello nlphoto, Do you have the latest software update? Have you been out of the Sprint coverage for more than 72 hours? Are you able to make and receive phone calls?

Let's reset the network setting:

1. From the home screen, tap Phone.
  2. Dial ##72786#.
  3. Tap yes.
  4. After the device restart it will automatically perform Hands Free Activation.
  5. The device will then update the PRL. Once the update is complete, tap OK.
  6. The device will check for firmware updates. If an update is available, follow the prompts to download and install the update. Otherwise, tap OK.
  7. Tap Ok. The device will restart.

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint_Mayorin wrote:

Hello nlphoto, Do you have the latest software update? Have you been out of the Sprint coverage for more than 72 hours? Are you able to make and receive phone calls?

Let's reset the network setting:

1. From the home screen, tap Phone.
  2. Dial ##72786#.
  3. Tap yes.
  4. After the device restart it will automatically perform Hands Free Activation.
  5. The device will then update the PRL. Once the update is complete, tap OK.
  6. The device will check for firmware updates. If an update is available, follow the prompts to download and install the update. Otherwise, tap OK.
  7. Tap Ok. The device will restart.

Yes, all those are described earlier in this thread. I have the latest update. I have not been out of Sprint coverage for more than 72 hours. I am able to make/receive calls. I did the ##72786# steps a few days ago after Sprint_Jeffrey suggested it, that did not work, still missed texts.

I did follow the steps suggested by tech support, which was to reset all networks from the Settings menu (losing all known Wifi, Bluetooth, and mobile networks). So far that seems to have worked although it may take a week or so to see if I am missing any texts or getting them late.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat