cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Breaking Up Texts from iPhone X and others

Journeyman

Samsung S8 Breaking Up Texts from iPhone X and others

Hello,

I have spent some time looking through forums and such for a fix to this issue, but I haven't found anything that works.

My wife and I are on the same Sprint plan as of last year. I have a Samsung S8 and she has an iPhone X. Constantly, any text massage from her to me over about 50 characters is broken into multiple messages and they often show up on my phone in the wrong order. This makes the message impossible to read if it exceptionally long.

This also occurs constantly in texts from my mother, who has an older galaxy note on AT&T. It will occasionally happen from other people as well. I can deal with it happening with other people on other networks, but my wife and I text daily and it is very annoying to have to reassemble her messages.

Specifics:

I am using Samsung S8, my wife is using iPhone X. Both phones are updated to the latest software.

I am using the Android Messages app, but the exact same thing happens in the default app and in other apps.

Apparently this happens on my wife's end as well for messages from my mother and myself.

Any help is very greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Samsung S8 Breaking Up Texts from iPhone X and others

Hey Nosjack! I've had this happen to me too. I totally agree it can be very frustrating.  Let's try a couple of simple troubleshooting steps first. 

On her iPhone X, have her go to Settings> Messages> and toggle off iMessage by tapping the green switch.  Wait about 30 seconds, then switch it back on. This will reboot the iMessage feature.  Let me know if that works.  If not, there's a few other steps we can try!

Resetting iMessage like you said did not fix it unfortunately.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Let me keep looking into this.  It wasn't happening before you upgraded your phones, correct?

if im remembering right when the larger than average texts are being sent/received they are broken down like that because they were never designed to be that large. if she sends them as a MMS message instead if im remembering correctly they will come in as one single message. the SMS side is limited on how many characters are able to be sent. there might even be a setting in either phone to turn it into a MMS message.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Community Manager

Usually the culprit is Smart Punctuation.  What's Smart Punctuation?  Is an Apple deal.  In short, it's a feature in iOS that automatically turns certain generic punctuation marks like straight quotes into better ones like curly quotes.  Although it's aesthetically pleasing, it does not play nice with folks that are not on iMessage.  Smart Punctuation reduces text length from 160 to 70 when sending from Apple phones due to its formatting. SMS is such an old standard that it was designed with the ASCII character set in mind. An SMS message containing only ASCII characters can contain up to 160 characters. Include even just a single non-ASCII character, though — such as a curly quote or apostrophe — and the entire message must be encoded using a 16-bit alphabet, limiting the message to just 70 characters because the length of the message in bytes remains fixed by the protocol. That's why you receive multiple messages from Apple users.

To turn smart punctuation off, all you have to do is go to Settings - General - Keyboard, and turn then turn off the Smart Punctuation toggle.

We (Sprint) and other carriers I believe have put in a ticket with Apple to address this since iOS 11.

Journeyman

@HELPeR_Sprint - Well, these our are first phones with Sprint. We were originally on separate AT&T accounts and bought these phones when we moved to our own account with Sprint.

@fireguy_6364 - This is the explanation for this issue on the majority of posts/forums I have looked over. Is there some way to force MMS to be used if the message is longer?

@Em_Will_I_Am - That explanation makes sense. I was confused as the messages were broken up into 50-60 character sections instead of 160 characters. I will have her change that setting and see if it fixes anything. Would this also affect messages that she receives from non-iPhone users?

Community Manager

No, it will make the punctuation less pretty, that is about it.  

@nosjack wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am - That explanation makes sense. I was confused as the messages were broken up into 50-60 character sections instead of 160 characters. I will have her change that setting and see if it fixes anything. Would this also affect messages that she receives from non-iPhone users?

Journeyman

Turned off Smart Punctuation on the iPhone, but the problem is still there...

Community Manager

There's got to be some type of Apple formatting from your wife's phone.  Make sure she does not have any signatures in texts that may have enlisted Smart Punctuation or your contact saved with Smart Punctuation (ex. John Smith aka "Hubby").  I check the Apple Forums to see if I was off base, but got the same answer:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/87450

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat