ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s3 vs HTC Evo 4g LTE vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s3 vs HTC Evo 4g LTE vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus???

I am trying to decide which phone to get.  I am not sure when the Samsung Galaxy s3 will be released but I have heard great thing, although I am not sure that I can wait for it.  My bf has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and loves it.  I have the HTC Evo 4g currently and I like it.  I have read numerous articles comparing the Nexus & the Evo 4G LTE but I still can't decide.  Does anyone know when the Galaxy S3 will be released?  Also, please give me your opinions on which phone to get.  Thanks!!

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 vs HTC Evo 4g LTE vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus???

Well the Galaxy S3 information is purely speculative, I don't know if you followed the iPhone 5 hoopla...but it was supposed to have a bigger screen, almost no bezel on sides, be quad core, have a new look and metal casing, support LTE and NFC...instead we got the iPhone 4S.  In regards to the other 2 phones I think the EVO is the clear winner for me.  Kickstand and Beats Audio features are neat, but the biggest three for me:

Bigger Battery-LTE networks eat up your battery, the EVO's chipset handles this more efficiently than the Nexus, that said the bigger battery wins...EVO 2000mah, Nexus 1750mah

Faster Processor-they are both dual cores, they are both fast...but the EVO's chipset has been shown to run circles around the current competition (Snapdragon S4 over Tegra 3)

Screen-This one could go either way, different folks want different things.  The AMOLED screens I've seen (nexus) have the truest blacks, but colors seem to be over saturated at times.  Colors across the spectrum (minus black) for Super LCD's come across more accurate in my opinion.

In my opinion if you want a more future proof phone, you pick the EVO over the Nexus...but the dark horse is the Galaxy S3...and I'm not sure anyone could make an informed decision just yet.

Journeyman

Which one to get depends on what is important to you.  Both of the soon-to-be-released phones are fast, have nice screens, and good battery life. Evo is supposed to have a better camera. Nexus is an unadulterated google platform. The nexus will likely have a better update schedule, but both will likely have a strong developer following, if you are into that sort of thing.  The S3 will kick the ever loving stuffing out of either of those phones though, based on specs alone.

I plan on getting a Galaxy Nexus, and retiring my Epic 4g.  Heres why:

• Nexus is fast enough and should meet my needs for the life span of my phone, which is usually 1-2 years.
  • The camera on any modern cell phone is good enough for what I use my cell phone to take pictures with. If I want to take good pictures, I will use my camera.
  • The big deal killer for me for the EVO is that it has a sealed battery. This is just a bad design decision.  Lion batteries only last about a year with good performance and heavy use. Further, I like to carry spare batteries when I am going to have a heavy day with no convenient power. Yes, there are a lot of portable charging options and such, but what do you do when the battery wears out?
  • I like the look of the AMOLED screens... LCDs look dull next to them.
  • The S3, while I like the specs, will probably not hit sprint until next year, if their history with timely releases of the latest galaxy platforms is any indication.  Can't wait that long for a new phone.
Journeyman

I will also probably wait for the samsung s3.  The htc's sealed battery is also a deal breaker.  It's one of the crappiest features of the iphone and immitating it is simply idiotic.  There's a reason every phone since the dawn of time, with the exception of the iphone, has had replaceable batteries.  People sometimes need more than the capacity of a single battery.  I don't have a problem carrying around a spare battery or three, but I don't want to have to carry around a clunky battery pack, have to keep the phone tethered to it while it charges, and have the hasle of phone,cable,batterypack.  The decision to have a sealed battery was as poor as microsoft's decision to immitate the iphones then single tasking OS.  If I wanted jewelry over functionality, I'd have an iphone and get some sort of deranged herdlike joy from having paid way too much for so little.

GrandMaster

i have been seeing quite a few threads about the galaxy nexus losing 3G . wifi but nothing else. only thing i have seen in any of those threads to fix it was to get a different nexus. not a good start im afraid

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

to be honest i would hold off and watch each phones forums for what problems people are having with the phones..then make a judgment call from there. as is im going for the evo...but i'll probably wait about a month after its release to see what all issues it is having first before i jump on that ship

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Exactly fireguy, I never buy an electronic device right off the bat...you just don't know what you're getting.  Give it a month after release, allow for quirks to be resolved, read reviews to find out if the device is right for you then buy.  I just don't buy the first release of any electronic product...

GrandMaster

if only i could use this same method when it comes to OS updates that get kicked out. froyo-gingerbread update, etc. unfortunatley THIS one i just cant help myself lol.

also a month after a phones release there probably wont be any fixes coming out to fix any bugs or problems...but at least then one can weigh out if the probelms that certain phone has can be lived with or drive you insane.

most problems with any phone/os update doesnt show until the real world test anyways....and we are the ones doing that test .....yay

Journeyman

I picked up the galaxy nexus last week, and it is a great phone except for 1 thing. The battery life is awful if you are doing anything at all with the phone. These big bright screens really tap the battery, and if you are running programs, make sure you are aware of fun things like the WFi Keep alive and such, which compound the drainage.

I would imagine the EVO will also run down on battery pretty quick as it only has a marginally larger battery, but unlike the nexus, you can't just slap in a fresh battery, like the one I bought with an external charger, when I bought the phone. 

I also ordered a 3800mah battery for the phone to help the situation.

A couple of nice things about the Nexus:

• Since the storage is not removable, it does not force an unmount when you connect to your PC.
  • The screen is beautiful
  • As my first non-slide phone, it is a lot more comfortable in the pocket without worrying about it sliding open when you dont want it to.
  • No lag in the interface
  • Very nice camera, with a flash that actually works. The panoramic pictures work well.
Journeyman

With the samsung, there's no worry about OS updates.  You'd better be happy with exactly what ships with the phone because the chance of a samsung ever catching up to the current android OS is nil.  The epic is a fine example.  It came out 3 months after the evo which had froyo.  By the time the edge got froyo, gingerbread had been out for a 4 months.  It took samsung nearly a year longer than HTC to get froyo.  Gingerbread took six months longer for the epic than the htc 4g.

Whose bloatware is worse, samsung or htc is debateable.

I would have liked to use cyanogenmod 7 on my htc evo, but the gps implementation would lockup and require a reboot after a day or so.  Using the sense gps library would stay up but eventually they became incompatible and gps apps would crash the phone with the combination of cyanogenmod and sense gps.  Nowadays I run 'fresh', a sense based rom, and a2dp with an sd card ext4 partition to get around the evo's horrible 1GB internal storage size.

My htc evo works albeit a bit slow, so I'll be taking a wait and see approach.  Right now HTC's offering tries to hard to immitates an iphone's crappy battery design and the S3 is vaporware.

GrandMaster

yah thats the only buzz kill for the EVO LTE..that battery...then again from what i have been hearing the new chipset theyre using combined with ICS and 4.0 sense is supposed to save on battery WAY better than it ever did before..continous video playback on a single charge was 6 hours per someone posting the info in here from another site. i consider this to be a good thing so far

Journeyman

Unless it can run, on batteries alone, navigation for 3 hours, play games for 4 hours, then play an audiobook for 8 hours over bluetooth, I'm not interested.

My evo and 4 spare batteries has no problem with that feat. 🙂

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat