cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Review

Journeyman

Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Review

I recieved this tablet last week.   So far it is a wonderful tablet and equal in power only to my Galaxy S6.  My two devices are now a match made in heaven.  However the differences I have noticed is the tablet does not come really with much Sprint or Samsung software other than what's usually on there.   Even the Sprint zone is gone.   The Samsung theme store present on my S6 is also missing.

However the tablet has such a high resolution display and seems to not be limited like phones and smaller tablets.  By that I mean that you can download high quality desktop backgrounds and use them.   I myself am using two that I acquired from Microsoft's website;  specifically their wallpaper section for Windows 7 & above.  I couldn't use this same background on my Tab 3 or my S6 because it would crop the picture all to pieces.

The model I chose which as of the moment seems to be the only one available,  is the Sapphire Black version with a 32gb internal Sd card slot standard but expandable up to 128gb.  The way the micro-sdcard comes out is one thing that bothers me.   You have to use a small paperclip like tool that you poke a hole into and a thin tray pops out.  Then the tiny card goes onto the tray slot.  If you can get it to stay,  then it goes back into the slot.  For someone's hands that shake (a medical reason) this was a small challenge for me.   It took a few tries but I got it.  The only other thing was how thin it turned out to be.  It was completely different from the picture.  This will DEFINITELY be the first case I put effort into getting a protective case for.

However so far it seems to be working out regarding performance, display, and for what I need it for.  If they won't delete my screens, I'll attach them.  Keep in mind again these images are the original size as I downloaded them from Microsoft's website and they have not been cropped in any way.

Screenshot_2015-09-17-15-33-57.png

Screenshot_2015-09-17-15-33-29.png

The system did tell me if it was over a certain size it would be considerably scaled down.  The resolution of these photos are 1900x1200.

11 REPLIES 11
GrandMaster

Re: Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Review

those look really great. and yeah i noticed the whole SD card tray deal with my HTC One M9...same slot for both the SIM card as well as the SD card..not a huge fan of how its removed either but on the plus side there shouldnt be much need to remove it often.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yep!  I plan on getting a 128gb card by Kingston for $50.00 from Amazon.

GrandMaster

im a die hard SanDisc(sp). im actually using the sd card that was in my HTC One M7..then it went into my Samsung Flex2...and now its in my M9 lol.

for those reading any of this PLEASE make sure to back up everything on your SD card from time to time..if it fails it fails..you might as well kiss everything goodbye. back it up to your computer maybe once a month or so if there are any add on stuff you have done so there isnt any chance of it being lost or at the least very little will be lost.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I just want them to hurry up and come out with an Otterbox case for this new tablet.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Thanks for the review... I have this tablet coming and looking forward to comparing it to my Samsung 2014 edition.

I have a tool from my HTC & LG phones that is handy for opening the SIM/SD card tray. Paperclip works great too....

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

You're welcome.  I don't often write product reviews but I tried to be as fair and unbiased as I could be about this particular tablet as I felt I could.  So far I am still pleased with it.  I am just waiting on Otterbox to produce a covering. 

Great review! I just got my Tab S2 earlier this week. I agree with all your points; great screen, resolution, power, speed, battery. And yes this tablet is unbelievably THIN and light. I have a case on order and can't wait for arrival.

I'm a Sprint employee and will be posting more about this awesome tablet in the weeks to come.

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Thanks! If you don't mind my asking. What type of case did you find and where?

kronoso1979 I ordered a 360 case off of eBay. I believe they are on Amazon too... You can search on either site by Galaxy S2 9.7 case to see the various options that are available.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

the big question is which color did you go with? the usual black or did you go big dog and go for something with some pizzaz? lol

I ordered the MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case from Amazon. As much as I really wanted a fun, colorful case, I went with the "basic" black case for $5.99. Other colors and material choices, though fun, were $15.99. I couldn't beat the $6 case and now having had it for a few weeks I love it. It feels and looks great. It's very functional with several opening and holding options built in. Best yet, it's thin and light (as folio style cases go), leaves all ports and slots totally unobstructed, yet covers all the corners.

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat