cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 and Gmyle Leather Case - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello again, everyone!

I was fortunate enough to receive a case from our friends at Gmyle for my Galaxy Tab S2 9.7".  More specifically it is the "Book Case Vintage for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2" that is sold by Gmyle for $34.98 -- Unfortunately, Sprint does not sell this case; however, it doesn't hurt to keep my fingers crossed for future accessories!

I have used this protective case for about a week now and I love it, with some minor dislikes about it that I'll go over as well.

Case Details:

• Gives the Tab S2 a "vintage makeover" (Gmyle)
  • Available in two patterns: crazy horse or map pattern (I believe this is unable to be chosen and one of the two designs will be shipped at random)
  • Thick binding similar to a book (hence the "book case" name )
  • The smell of leather is fantastically intoxicating
  • Contains a card holder for up to three cards (e.g., credit card, driver's license, etc.)

Here are some photos of the case in action:

Please note: if images appear distorted on your mobile device or computer, please click on the picture to enter full screen.  Unfortunately, this platform tends to compress embedded images.

Case_in_Wrapper.jpg

Case_Outside_of_Wrapper.jpg

Look at that stitching!  Isn't it beautiful?

Case_Open.jpg

Standing_Back_Side.jpg

Look, Feel, and Use:

The Book Case gives the Tab S2 a premium look, although it doesn't need it because it is already a premium-looking device as it is.  However, even a Tesla can use a few spiffy upgrades to make it look even more amazing.  The leather case feels nice in my hands and has a softness to it that doesn't make it uncomfortable to hold like other plastic cases.  The case adds some extra thickness to the tablet, which is a slight drawback, but it is expected since the case is meant to provide protection and function.  The case has taken every single detail into account when it comes to the functionality of the tablet, meaning that nothing is obstructed and everything is easy to access.  You can see some shots of that below:

20151007_211334.jpg

20151007_211340.jpg

The weight of the case is a slight drawback as well, as it makes it much heavier than the Tab S2 actually is.  It doesn't feel as though I am going to drop it, however, so I suppose that is a good thing, right?  The binding is similar to a book and has a nice design that is attractive.  The binding is sturdy, so I do not feel as though it will wear out over time like the binding of a real book, so it will always keeps its shape.  The one drawback in this area is the inability to flip the cover around to the backside of the tablet during use.  This means that reading is slightly cumbersome because it must be held like a book with the flap open.  It's like reading a hardcover book compared to a paperback book.  Additionally, the flap has magnets that adhere to the case, but the magnets do not work to turn the screen on or off, so it is up to the user to wake the device upon use.  Here's a look at the binding:

Binding 2.jpg

Binding.jpg

The case is convenient for use when watching movies or something similar due to the way the front flap is designed.  The inside of the flap has three grooves that allow the angle of the screen to be positioned to your liking.  I have used other cases that only have a single setting based on the kickstand, so having the ability to manipulate viewing angles is a huge plus in my book.  Here's a look at the inside of the cover to provide different viewing angles:

Standing_1.jpg

Standing_2.jpg

310049_05_large.jpg

Image Credit: Gmyle

Differing_Levels_View.jpg
(Click on picture to see in full screen if text is unreadable)

Another huge plus to this case is the ability to take your three most utilized cards with you wherever you go!  The inside of the front flap contains a pocket that has three slots for credit cards or anything similar (You can try to add more in the slots, but the space becomes constricted and it isn't convenient to quickly pull a card out).  This is convenient because it allows me to free up space in my wallet where I can.  The only drawback is choosing exactly what cards that you want to bring with you everywhere you go!  This is where Android Pay and Samsung Pay (if you have a compatible Samsung smartphone and bank) might come in handy to decrease the cards you take on the go.  At any rate, choosing the cards can be a difficult decision; I have multiple debit and credit cards (sadly none are Samsung Pay supported at this time...) as you can see below , so my decision was slightly difficult.  In the end a few cards won that I felt needed to be with me at all times in physical form versus electronic (Android Pay) form.

Too_Many_Cards.jpg

Case_Card_Holder_Full.jpg

Summary of shortcomings:

• Unable to wrap the flap around to the back of the tablet, causing it to be held like a hardcover book
  • It adds some more weight than I was expecting
  • Magnets in cover do not wake the device or turn the screen off
  • Please note that these are my personal views of shortcomings and may not be for you as a user of this case

Final thoughts:

If I were to rate this product on a 5-point scale, I would give it a 4.5.  This case provides the necessary protection that I am after for the tablet, it adds a premium look to the tablet, it is a sturdy case that will not break after six months, and it provides some additional functionality that makes it convenient for use.  The case is absolutely worth the cost (recall that it is ~ $35.00) based on quality alone.  Don't settle for a cheap case that you'll end up replacing, this Gmyle case is the real deal.

Only one thing could make this case better.  If it came in the design of Winifred Sanderson's spell book...

Hocus-Pocus-book-1.jpg

Image credit: Two Delighted

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my blog!  I hope that this has provided some helpful information and has encouraged you to look into Gmyle's products!

Until next time -----

--Troy

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee