cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S2 Camera - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

I know when you read the title you probably thought "who takes photos with a tablet?"  Well, there are actually plenty of people who utilize their tablets as their main camera in many instances.  I personally cringe when I see people utilizing their tablets as their main photo-taking device in public settings such as concerts, amusement parks, etc., but I have found that having a camera on a tablet can be beneficial at certain times.

I was camping with my family recently and brought along my Galaxy Tab S2 so that I could read and use it for Netflix or Amazon Video for the kids.  I happened to have it by me a few times when I did not have my phone, and it came in handy for taking a few photos.  The quality of the camera on the Tab S2 is actually better than expected and there are some features that are similar to what other Samsung smartphones offer such as Virtual Shot, Dual Camera and Shot and More.

Specs:

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 features a 8.0 MP rear camera with F1.9 aperture, which allows more light into the shot when taking photos.  Interestingly, the aperture on the Tab S2 is the same as the GS6 and Note 5.

Samsung_Tab_Camera.png

Source: Samsung

If you're unfamiliar with aperture, it is essentially the amount of light that is allowed into the lens when taking a photo.  The smaller the aperture is, the more light that is able to enter into the shot, whereas a larger aperture allows less light.  The ability to take low-light photos is even easier with the Tab S2 thanks to its F1.9 aperture -- this is especially helpful when taking photos indoors.

As mentioned previously, the Tab S2 offers some camera settings that makes taking photos fun and easy.  Some included options include Pro, Panorama, Virtual Shot and Dual Camera.  Additional options can be downloaded if the user desires.  I especially like the pro mode because it allows me to customize my shot to my liking, albeit with slightly less abilities than my Galaxy Note 5.  In Pro mode you can adjust exposure values, ISO and White Balance to get the perfect shot.  In comparison to the Note 5 in Pro mode, it does not have manual focus or shutter speed capabilities.  However, these are not necessary on the Tab S2 in my opinion, especially if this is not the main camera in your life.

Here are some of the options to choose from:

Stock:

Stock_Options.png

Downloadable:

Download_Options.png

During my camping trip I did not find a lot of opportunities to utilize the camera, but did spend some time taking some shots of the campfire while testing a few features out.

HDR:

Fire_HDR.jpg

Dual Shot -- In this mode you can utilize both camera simultaneously.  You can modify how the front-facing camera image looks as well:

Dual_Camera.jpg

Virtual Shot -- on a device this takes multiple pictures to create a "video" that is similar to a GIF.  When shared, like I have done here, it's exported to a MP4 video file that is in 360p:

Pro mode (I did not utilize this function, but wanted to demonstrate the editing abilities):

Pro_options.png

Summary:

After using my tablet as a camera while camping, I have come to terms with the need to use it in certain scenarios.  I still find it obstructive in some situations, but I can see where a camera on a tablet might be of use in a pinch.  Many tablet users use the devices in their homes, thus taking a picture may be as quick as lifting the tablet to snap a photo of a pet, child, or other item.  On a camping trip, a tablet camera could be beneficial for snapping a photo while sitting around a campfire.  In the park you might be reading and need to snap a photo of something quickly without searching for your phone.  It could also be great when your phone has died or has minimal battery life and you need something to take a photo.  Additionally, some companies deploy tablets to their employees, and part of the job requires taking pictures; the Tab S2 would be a great device to utilize in this example.

Samsung's Tab S2 packs a pretty good camera with great aperture, allowing for a great shot almost every time.  The camera may not be as "large" in terms of megapixels compared to other smartphones, but it holds its own pretty well in the tablet department.  The included modes, as well as the downloadable modes, make it fun an easy to take pictures while on the go.

Until next time --

--Troy

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee