Highlighted
Wizard

7/05 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release - EF17

Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release - EF17

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

- HID Bluetooth

Important Notes:

- Software version is: Baseband SSmiley Tongue100.08 S.EF17, Build GINGERBREAD.EF17

- Download and install time is approximately 5 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days

- Refer to the Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release blog for install instructions

107 REPLIES
Journeyman

When I attempt the "Update Firmware" the Tab stays busy for a mintute or two and eventually stops with the following message:

The Firmware update could not be completed.  Please try again later.   If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service.

Error:  Connection Error

When I attempt the "Update Android" it immediately shows: "Your system is currently up to date."

About My Galaxy Tab shows the following information:

Hardware version SPH-P100.08

Model number SPH-P100

Firmware version 2.2

Baseband Version SSmiley Tongue100.08 S.EB28

Kernel version 2.6.32.9

Build number SPH-P100.DJ30

Any suggestions?

Journeyman

I to receive the same message.  I am also curious if this update will be available using WiFi?  I bought a refurbished device and do not have a 3G contract for this device.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Journeyman

I should have mentioned it also - my Galaxy Tab is a Sprint Galaxy Tab purchased as refurbished (from www.meritline.com) and does not have 3G service at this time.

Will there be a way to update these via OTA updates?  The announcement said the update would be available from Google's servers - so I have hope that WiFi only access will be sufficient.  If not, what are our options?

Journeyman

I also only have WiFi (I bought it hoping to go month to month, but Sprint refuses to activate it without a contract). I've received all the updates so far over WiFi and I expect to get this one too.

Journeyman

Re: 7/05 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release - EF17

Please post your results here for both Sprint activated devices and those (like mine) purchased as refurbished Sprint Galaxy Tabs without a service contract.

FWIW, I would be willing to activate it for a month just to get the update...but I have no need for a multi-year contract.

Journeyman

I have a galaxy tab with current sprint 3G service. It will not connect to any updates unless the wifi is disabled, and the 3G is used. If the wifi is turned on, I will get this error:

The Firmware update could not be completed.  Please try again later.   If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service.

Error:  Connection Error

So, turn off wifi, and use 3G to get the update.

Journeyman

"So, turn off wifi, and use 3G to get the update."

This is not an option for those of us who bought refurbished Sprint Galaxy Tabs to use as WiFi only.  And like many others I will not contract for a multi-year data plan that I do not want or need.  I might consider paying for a month-to-month plan (just to get the update) if Sprint would make this an option.  I understand that they so far have neglected to do so.

CONGRATULATIONS!  Are you in fact confirming that you received the Gingerbread 2.3 update OTA from Sprint on your Galaxy Tab via 3G?  If so yours is the first report I've seen anywhere that the Gingerbread upgrade has been successful.

Journeyman

Sprint doesn't offer the month to month plan for the Tab anymore?   It's the best possible option for non-phone devices and a big reason I have mine.

I also have yet to see the firmware as being available....but it did say it would be released over the next 4 days.

Journeyman

Thanks, mbracher!  You've just solved a longstanding problem (and irritation) that I've had with my Tab from day one.  I've had great difficulty in receiving updates until I tried just what you suggested--turned off the WiFi and downloaded via the 3G connection.  I don't think that most of the tech support folks even know about this jewel because phone calls to them re the issue only elicited an "I don't know." 

Patiently waiting for the Gingerbread update and crossing my fingers that it will be successful.  Just tried to pull it manually but it apparently hasn't been pushed to my device yet.