cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/05 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release - EF17

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been manually checking for the update every hour since 8:00 AM EST July 5th.  Still nothing..... maybe it's a geographical release?  Has anyone actually received the OTA update?  I'd like to hear of some success stories!

Also, for those of you who use the ZIP file to update... is that the Sprint update file?  Does applying it cause you to lose any apps or files on the tab?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, guys, I've suceeded, finally!

Wait until I tell you what the problem was!

Basically I followed all the steps as described by sbiller 1: downloaded the file (by the way, the file is still there for download at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148447&page=14 [post #138]), renamed the file as update.zip, placed the newly named file in my SD card, booted in recovery mode, and selected the update.zip file. All this only to get stuck with the triangle/exclamation sign/android screen.

After trying many (MANY) things, I decided to take a look at the contents of the SD card using the "My files" shortcut on my Tab. To my surprise, the update file read "update.zip.zip" (YES, two ".zip"!)  It turns out that the system ALREADY knows it's a zip file, so, by renaming it "update.zip" you're unwillingly renaming the file with the wrong name.

So, when renaming the file, DO NOT type .zip

Rename only as update (the system will add the .zip automatically)

After this, the system will recognize the file and you'll be on your way to Gingerbread withing minutes.

I hope this helps and thanks everyone for all your help.

-Álex.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, please be patient with me! I have read through these posts and I am even more confused!

I didn’t understand what EF-17, EB28 means until I saw that in the “About My Galaxy Tab” it shows Baseband version EB28. I have no idea what Baseband is but now I know its EB28!

So I have two questions. Does EB28 mean that I can’t manually download the update or does the version make a difference?

My other question is this. My wife also has the tablet but hers is the Wifi only. Can this same file be used on hers to update?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Deano

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 7/05 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Maintenance Release - EF17

Aslanteigne, I've been doing the same thing.  No update here yet either.  We should all have it by the weekend, but I'm totally excited and can't wait! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

GOIRISH2009, if your baseband reads EB28, you should be OK for the update. The same applies to your wife's Tab.

After the update, EB28 will be replaced by the new EF17.

So, follow these steps:

1) Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?cngx5e67dgbq04y and download the file "update from EB28 to EF17.zip"

2) Copy that file to your SD Card (at the top level directory; do not put it inside any of the folders)

3) Rename the file as "update" (without the quotation marks; DO NOT add ".zip"; the system will add that automatically)

4) Unmount the Tab

5) Turn Tab off

6) Boot Tab in recovery mode: Press and hold together the ON button AND the Volume UP button until the SAMSUNG logo appears on the screen

7) Select the second option: update.zip (move up and down using the volume buttons. Once you've selected the update.zip file, press the HOME button to apply it.

😎 The system will no update your system from Froyo to Gingerbread

9) Do the same on any other Tab

Hope this helps!

-Álex.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alex,

Thank you for the info. My wifes model is a GT-P1010 and it doesn't have a Baseband Version. Is this because its not a Sprint 3G?

I wasn't sure if this update was for only a Sprint Build OS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Partially right its because it doesn't have any cellular radio inside.

So every carrirer will have a different baseband version in their software.

The install will probably fail on the WiFi only version. 

Sprint is I think the only carrier upgrading OTA. 

You should go to the Samsung website and get Kies which

you connect the wifi version (sprint hardware is not supported in Kies) via

the USB cable and it should recognize if there is an upgrade available for

that model.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This update is only for those Galaxy Tabs distributed (originally) by Sprint.  This update only applies to SPH-P100.

The GT-P1010 I understand is an European model (firmware). I've seen several posts around about how to update these European models. But, anyhow, the steps I mentioned in my previous post will only apply to SPH-P100 firmware (Sprint Build OS, as you called it). I hope you're able to find a way to update your wife's device.

-Álex.

EDIT:

I stand corrected! GT-P1010 is the Wi-Fi-only version (I got confused with the European model GT-P1000).

Message was edited by: alexmaerz

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well now I am getting the "triangle with an exclamation mark inside" so I checked to make sure it had only one zip extension. Its on the SD card, not in a folder and it is names Update.zip.

It sees the file in the recovery mode, I select it and it goes right to the triangle with an exclamation mark inside. I cant figure out for the life of me what I am doing wrong.

*UPDATE* I used this file instead and it is loading now: http://www.mediafire.com/?cngx5e67dgbq04y

Message was edited by: GOIRISH2009

Highlighted
Journeyman

This means you pressed the volume DOWN button together with the ON button. Now your Tab is in download mode.

To get out of that mode, simply press and hold the ON button until the phone turns off.

Then, to go into recovery mode, press and hold the volume UP button together with the ON button. Then follow the instructions I showed before.

Also, make sure the name of the file is in lowercase: update.zip.

To make sure the .zip is not repeated, go to "My files" and look at the file from the file manager. If it says "update.zip" it's OK.

If it says "update.zip.zip", rename it again and DO NOT enter the .zip part.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Alex,

I followed your instructions and now my firmware and build are 2.3 and EF-17, however, my wallpapers do not fit my screen anymore and I dont see any of the Gingerbread enhancements.  How do I downgrade back to Froyo, I guess I should have waited for the Sprint update.  Will it still come to me you think or will it look and see the firmware # is already updated?

Any thoughts?  I am really regretting updating this manually now 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine came OTA last night while I was on Wifi. I have not activated with Sprint and have no contract.  I use this only with wifi and via hot spot with my epic.

Baseband:  SP100.08 S.EF1

Build:  Gingerbread.EF17

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat