cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab release date

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy Tab release date

What is the Samsung Galaxy Tab release date for Sprint?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab release date

"This Fall."  At this point, I'm afraid that's it.    More to follow, I hope.

Journeyman

Here is some additional information that I found on Product Reviews (PR) News

According to this article from Ubergizmo, they have obtained information from Electronista, revealing that AT&T are going to be the first carrier in the US to release the Galaxy Tab.

This will happen sometime during Mid-October and will be closely followed by Verizon, who will have it by early November according to Ubergizmo. As for Sprint, customers will be able to get it mid-november without 4G speedsremember, leaving T-Mobile USA last to release, no period mentioned for them yet.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/09/20/samsung-galaxy-tab-us-release-date-rumors-verizon-att-spri...

I still want it sooner vs. later and will post more info as it comes available.  No 4G, no telephony, but at least it will allow you to use it as a Wi-Fi Hub.

"It also offers mobile hotspot capability to simultaneously connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices. " Sprint Press Release, 20 Sept 2010.

Message was edited by: sumocat94

Journeyman

sumocat94 wrote:

Here is some additional information that I found on Product Reviews (PR) News

According to this article from Ubergizmo, they have obtained information from Electronista, revealing that AT&T are going to be the first carrier in the US to release the Galaxy Tab.

This will happen sometime during Mid-October and will be closely followed by Verizon, who will have it by early November according to Ubergizmo. As for Sprint, customers will be able to get it mid-november without 4G speedsremember, leaving T-Mobile USA last to release, no period mentioned for them yet.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/09/20/samsung-galaxy-tab-us-release-date-rumors-verizon-att-spri...

I still want it sooner vs. later and will post more info as it comes available.  No 4G, no telephony, but at least it will allow you to use it as a Wi-Fi Hub.

"It also offers mobile hotspot capability to simultaneously connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices. " Sprint Press Release, 20 Sept 2010.

Message was edited by: sumocat94

sumocat94:  I have seen similar rumors which are propagating on the web.  They appear to be feeding off one another.  Obviously, Mid-November fits with the latest pronouncement from Sprint which is "this Fall."  I believe the 4G speed is iffy at this point although it would be a huge differentiator for Sprint.  What I've heard is 3G with Media Hub, allowing the Galaxy Tab from Sprint to be a Hot Spot for 4 or 5 other devices.  What I seriously doubt is that Sprint will issue a Galaxy Tab device without telephony.  Doing this with the iPad was a smart move by Apple, but I doubt any of the wireless companies are enlightened enough to do the same.  I wish they would but they are wireless phone companies, aren't they? 

Journeyman

Sadly, the lack of telephony has been confirmed by Samsung (via Engadget).

"Bad news, folks: not only is the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab a 3G-only device, but Samsung just confirmed to us that telephony was cut out of the Tab for the US market. That means you won't be able to pair up a Bluetooth headset and use the Tab as a really large phone like you can on the Euro model. That's super lame -- telephony features might have been the only way the inevitable two-year carrier contract would have been justifiable. "

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/samsung-galaxy-tab-loses-voice-capabilities-in-the-us/

Sniffle...

Journeyman

sumocat94 wrote:

Sadly, the lack of telephony has been confirmed by Samsung (via Engadget).

"Bad news, folks: not only is the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab a 3G-only device, but Samsung just confirmed to us that telephony was cut out of the Tab for the US market. That means you won't be able to pair up a Bluetooth headset and use the Tab as a really large phone like you can on the Euro model. That's super lame -- telephony features might have been the only way the inevitable two-year carrier contract would have been justifiable. "

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/samsung-galaxy-tab-loses-voice-capabilities-in-the-us/

Sniffle...

sumocat94:  It's almost like Sprint and the other wireless carriers hold meetings to decide how they can avoid capitalizing on much of the potential of a new device.  If these rumors are true - and let's face it, they are all baseless rumors until the formal announcements are made - it appears Sprint will issue a Galaxy Tab device without telephony, with 3G (maybe I'll just get an EVO) and will require a 2-year data plan contract.  HEY SPRINT, ARE YOU LISTENING?  I'M STARTING TO LOSE INTEREST.  AAAAW, YOU'R NOT LISTENING ARE YOU?  AS USUAL...

Journeyman

Unfortunately, there's nothing to do but agree with all comments lamenting the fact that this is a HUGE opportunity lost with the Sammy tab.

I was so excited when I saw the 9-minute product demo video showcasing a landscaped home screen, killer e-mail functionality, super-integrated phone/contact/messaging capabilities, etc. (Obviously, the model used in the demo vid was a European model.) I don't know whose decision it was to make telephony available in Europe, but not the U.S.; but it would be hard to believe this was a carrier-based idea, as surely the major carriers had to be excited about launching what looked to be the next big thing & racking up more revenue on contracts & re-ups...especially Sprint, who should be enjoying its newly-found foothold in the marketplace due to the success of the EVO, et al.

Despite having purchased a new Touch Pro2 in December, then a new EVO in June, I was ready to once again part with my money to snag the SGT, no matter the price at launch. That won't be happening now, as the loss of telephony turns the tab from a "must have" to an "also ran"...I'd rather check e-mails, text, see my calendar, read a book, play a game, surf the web, etc. on the 4.3" screen on my EVO & know I can make a phone call rather than carry around what has essentially become a Kindle with e-mail (not an entirely accurate description, I know...but you get the idea).

Worse yet...like so many others, I have no idea why I've chosen this forum to express my dismay; user comments, feedback & input/complaints from paying customers have so long fallen upon deaf ears at Sprint, that its general disinterest is no longer the exception to the customer satisfaction model...it is the model.

"HEY SPRINT, ARE YOU LISTENING?  I'M STARTING TO LOSE INTEREST.  AAAAW, YOU'R NOT LISTENING ARE YOU?  AS USUAL..." - COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF...COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!! ADIOS, SPRINT.

Journeyman

This is a very helpful way to determine if the Galaxy Tab is useful to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PO3_iqbQ8

I find this device to be stunning. What is going for it over the ipad?

1) Adroid

2) Fast

3) TV Out for presentations

4) Not an ipad

5) Flash

Because of these features, and that Sprint is great, I'm in. The HTC EVO is also a fantastic device. I have had one for five months and it has literally changed my life. I am at my computer 90% less and with my family more, still getting the productivity I need.

I don't see the need for telephony in my galaxy tab. With an HTC EVO, you're set. You absolutely will not be disappointed, and I have tremendous respect for Sprint, their pricing, their tech support, their approachability and their wireless service. It's the best I've seen.

AT&T was a nightmare. I was there for six years and it was like a bad bank I couldn't get away from. Eventually they threw a $900 bill at us that was insane. It became a huge problem. We paid it off that month and got out and went to Sprint and we've been in bliss ever since when it comes to not having to deal with massive headaches.

And that Sprint is getting the Galaxy Tab from a real company like Samsung, it shows they're making all the right moves. Between the risk on the Palm, which did help as a bridge (A great device that was really not respected), their move on the EVO (Which was a Godsend that shows that Apple aint' cool and their phone can be beat), I think you've got a winner.

Stay with Sprint. Get an EVO with your $10 unlimited data plan, and then get a Galaxy Tab. You'll be set of pitches and business presentations immediately -totally covered and professional with Android. Android is going to be the one for business. Play it safe.

Benjamin

Samsung Galaxy tab is coming to Sprint November 14.
Beginning 10/25/2010, customers can pre-order a tablet at any Sprint Store with a $50 deposit. They will receive a Sprint Gift Card to hold the device and their name will be added to the Device Wait List. Customers who pre-order Samsung Galaxy Tab will be able to complete their purchase beginning Sunday, Nov. 14, at their closest Sprint store.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat