cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting with Samsung Galaxy Tab

Journeyman

I recently received and activated my Tab and have not been able to text.  I can receive texts, but whenever I either try to respond to a text or generate a new text, it will try to send, but then come back with the message "unable to send message, RETRY or CANCEL".

I contacted Sprint via Chat this a.m. and the Rep said I needed to be logged into my account from the Sprint Zone on the Tab.  I tried that and it still didn't work.  But whether I'm logged in or not, I'm still able to receive texts.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Texting with Samsung Galaxy Tab

You are not alone. I have the same problem and still try to figure out why. I have tried to send text at multiple locations with no sucess. At the same time, there is no problem to receive.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spent over one hour with the tech support and not yet found an answer.

There are several things that you may want to try.

1. At the home page, tap the sprint zone and then the I need help to diagnose the device. In mine, it showed SMS failed (red button) but the data button is green. And then an update profile action also failed.

2. The tech support suggest a reset. Please follow the following link (http://www.trickyways.com/2010/12/how-to-reset-samsung-galaxy-tab-to-factory-settings/) for a soft and hard reset. Please let me know if it works.

3. The third pathway to follow is sending the device to a local authorized dealer.

good luck,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you both for your responses.  I wanted to post and let you know what I found out.  I went into a Sprint store today and the Tech there verified that I could receive texts, but could not either reply or generate new texts.  He did go through the update process (as I had as well) and still no go.  So he decided to call their Technical Support no. from the store.

It took less than one minute on the phone and the problem was resolved.  He learned from whoever he spoke with that when you activate a new account/phone/device, there is something called a "Welcome Call," and my device was waiting for that "Welcome Call" to take place before I could communicate with texts.  Because the Galaxy Tab doesn't have phone service, the Tech on the phone mentioned that when the customer calls in, they "remove the block" so to speak by taking off the "Welcome Call" from the account.  Once that happened, it worked perfectly.

Sooooo, those of you who may not have contacted Sprint yet, or possibly have made contact regarding this issue, you may want to bring up the "Welcome Call," and have them look at your account and still if that event is still pending.  If so, they can remove it and then you should be golden.

Interestingly, it seems that the Techs manning the Chat feature here on the Sprint website aren't privy to that information, so I guess it's up to us customers to bring it to their attention.  Also, I didn't think to ask the Rep at the store what number he called today, I'm thinking it's not the same Customer Service no. we all have, but at least the problem was resolved.

Again, THANK YOU BOTH for taking the time to respond and for any thoughts you put into this delima.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I have also resolved the issue by update the firmware and profile with 3G but not WiFi. I can send and receive texts now. I hope this message will be able to reach other people who experience similar difficulties.

Enjoy your device. BW has rated Galaxy tab as the most beloved gadget in 2010. I fully agree with the report.

If you are a serious news person, please check out an app named purple bowl digest in the android market. It covers in the areas of tech, financial, and politics.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After several weeks of trying to figure out how to text on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, I finally found your reply about contacting customer service and asking them to remove the welcome call block as I do not have a phone but a tablet. Took maybe 30 seconds and I am able to send text now. Guess I need to check the forums first for any problems lol. Thanks a lot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having the same exact problem. Thanks for finding the fix. I asked to be connected to the Tech Support and the rep was able to fix it within seconds. He said that it was actually a billing block that he just needed to unblock, but after giving him the info that you guys already found, "Welcome Call" it was a piece of cake to fix. Thanks guys!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you tell me what app you are using to text with youTab?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat