cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Using the Gear S as a Standalone Device!

Wizard

Gear S.PNG

We are not big into the Black Friday shopping crowds so we decided to just hang out at home and watch some movies until about 5pm when we headed down into town for the Light Up Eustis celebration and looked forward to seeing the town lit up with all the Christmas lights. That being said I decided to see how well the standalone feature of the Gear S worked and if it was really worth it. Got to say it was pretty hard leaving the Note 4 at home and just relying on the Gear S. Only thing I couldn't do was take photo but we just used my wife's device for that.

Service:

Works great! I paired my Motorola Buds BT headset to the Gear S and have to say that in the beginning it was kind of strange not having my phone on me but it was easy to reply to texts and take phone calls. turned out to be really convenient.

I made sure ahead of time to charge the charging cradle and brought it along with me just incase as I wasn't sure how my battery life would be but I am happy to say that I was able to go the entire evening and not worry about the Gear S dying.

Preparation:

Unfortunately this is something that doesn't automatically happen you have to turn the "Call Forwarding" on while paired to your device or via remote connection (Settings>>Connections>>Mobile Networks, set to Auto or Always On).

Its not something that happens out of the box. Also you have to be aware that with "Mobile Networks" on the Gear S set to "Always On" it will affect your battery life. Just remember that if your device is powered off you won't be able to

enable the "Call Forwarding" Feature.

Conclusion:

I can see that in a pinch this is a life saver but not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Overall I was extremely happy with this test, I know that this wouldn't be something I'd do all the time but knowing that I can "get by" with the Gear S and BT headset made for a relaxing evening. There have been times where I've walked out of the house and got 10-15mins away from the house and realized I left my phone on the table and you just have that feeling like 'man what am I going to miss' but knowing that with the Gear S I was able to activate the call forwarding and continue on with our plans as its really assuring.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.