cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Gear S

0 Comments

I had a Gear S for a while but only recently when I started to use the Galaxy Note Edge where I had more experience with the Gear S for all day to day work.

Like I previously stated on my initial post on the Gear S, I find the association between the Galaxy phone and the Gear S is a bit confusing.

There is a Bluetooth connection between the Gear S and the phone. However, if your Gear S is subscribed to a mobile plan (which mine is connected to a Sprint mobile plan for $10/month), then when the Bluetooth connection is lost, the Gear S will automatically connected to the mobile network.  Most of the time then the phone and the Gear S will be connected “remotely” over the mobile network (I think via a Samsung service of some sort).  All your calls to the phone will get forwarded to the watch if you do not answer it quickly enough, and often you have to answer it and talk over the watch and there is no way you can switch to get to talk via the phone.

I have experienced that a few times when the Gear S lost the Bluetooth connection to the phone, there is no “remote” connectivity.  I have to manually force the connection on the phone.

Once you have the two devices “remotely” connected, even when the Gear S comes back close to the phone, the two devices would not automatically reconnect via Bluetooth.  I had to manually force a Disconnect and a Connect on the phone to restore the “local” Bluetooth connection.

Another point is unless you specifically look for it, there is no obvious indicator or notification to tell whether the Gear is “remotely” or “Bluetooth” with the phone (Samsung refers the phone as “mobile” on the Gear S or the Gear S app on the phone).

Apart from this confusion, I find that I like the interworking between the phone and Gear S. All text messages to your phone gets forwarded to your Gear S.  When connected remotely, you have the option to use the phone telephone number as the sender of your text message from the Gear S.  On Bluetooth you can send text message from the Gear S and the message is shown up in the thread on the phone.  I find this very convenient as there has been time I am not near the phone but can view messages coming to me.

I started to use the exercise function more and more.  All your activities are recorder on the Gear S and eventually synced to the phone. Have not worked out exactly how often it is synced.  Will tell you more when I get more experience with the Gear S.  It is really time to retire my Fitbit.

Having the phone that I use regularly, I find that I started playing more with themes on the watch, and change the Gear S faces often.  Having like a new watch every few days :-)

In conclusion, after what I can call a confusing learning curve on the connectivity between the Galaxy Note Edge and the Gear S, I start enjoying the full use of the Gear S and hope will learn more.  I am sure it will part of my daily activity from now on.

Bye for now

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

We’re now in the age of wearables, and what a wonderful, exciting, contextual world it is. The internet of things and wearables make life easier and more convenient, and we are just in the beginning. We’re in for a fun ride ahead!

I don’t know about you, but I am all about the latest device or gadget that will bring some assistance into my busy life. Therefore, I was quite excited to get my hands on a Samsung Gear S smartwatch.

gears1.JPG

The Gear S smartwatch is my third “wearable” device. My first two wearables were Google Glass and the LG G smartwatch (of course, I’m not counting my dozens of bluetooth headsets as wearables, even though they are wearable). I enjoy my Google Glass, but do not like the fact that I receive many looks such as, “look at that cyborg,” from people on the street. Also, I need to have Google Glass near my device for data connectivity (unless connected to wifi), and same goes for my LG G smartwatch, it needs to be within range of my device to receive data and push notifications. That is a pain point, indeed. However, with the Gear S from Samsung, this is not the case.

The Samsung Gear S is a standalone wearable smartwatch that connects to the Sprint network on its own. That’s right, you do not need your device within range to use your Gear S smartwatch. You do, however, need a Samsung device to initially set up your Gear S. The fact that connectivity is built into the Gear S (must be activated on Sprint network) is my favorite feature. I love being able to accept and make calls from my wrist. It is super convenient to not need my device within range to use the Gear S.

The Gear S is a handsome smartwatch and contours well to your wrist with its curved display, and comes with a base charger that it sits upon. The Gear S does not use the Android Wear OS, but uses its own Tizen OS instead. It allows for 3rd party Gear S applications to be installed, provides pedestrian navigation, a pedometer (S Health), and much more.

I really like that items important to me such as meetings, calls, notifications, email, etc. are sent to my wrist. This is very helpful when not near my phone or in a noisy environment. For example, the other morning I was drying my hair and received a call. I did not hear this call on my device since it was in the other room and the hairdryer was quite loud. However, with the Gear S on my wrist, there was no way to miss this call, and I was able to stop the dryer and answer right then.

Another feature I really enjoy is the the built-in pedometer aka S Health. Keeping up with my daily activity is excellent way to help keep my fitness in check.

There are so many items to write about regarding the Gear S, but I will leave it for my next few posts.

Specs

Dimension: 39.9 x 58.1 x 12.5

Display: 2.0” Curved Super AMOLED (360 x 480)

Chipset: Dual core 1.0 GHz

Memory: RAM : 512MB

Storage: 4GB Internal Memory

Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Heart Rate, Ambient Light, UV, Barometer

Network: 3G, 2G

Connectivity: WiFi :802.11 b/g/n, A-GPS/Glonass

Bluetooth®: 4.1

USB: USB 2.0

Audio: Codec - MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, Format - MP3, M4A, WMA, AAC, OGG

Battery: 300mAh Li-ion

If you’re looking to add some convenience and assistance to help manage your busy life, you should look into adding the Samsung Gear S to your world. The Gear S is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.                                                                                          

0 Comments

The Gear S has many similar features of any smartwatch you could find around the block. However it packs a few new goodies that are either exclusive to the Gear S or extremely enhanced by Samsung for this product. Lets go over some of those shall we:

• 3G/Wi-Fi connectivity - This is a given and i wrote a few sentences on it here. so you can read up on it here.
  • GPS connectivity and turn by turn - this one is also a pretty cool feature partnered with Nokia’s Here navigation software. However my colleague beat me to it so you can read about it here.
  • Enhanced communication and notification:
    • In the previous versions of the Gear lineup, one of the common complaints were that its notifications of non-Samsung apps were limited or not helpful. Samsung expanded on that this time around. When it comes to email, sms or any type of notification you get, one you get a full scale notification or image (e.g. groupon’s ad comes up bright and big) and you can scroll it if its a long msg to where you can actually make some sense out of it without reaching for your phone
    • As we have learned, you can take a call (with or without tethered to your phone), make a call, send a msg, receive a msg, etc. but you can also surf the web using the Opera mini browser available via the Galaxy app store. The Gear S comes built in with a touch keyboard and a big screen, it is not bad to enter simple and short urls to find what we need to find. Frankly I was quite impressed with the overall experience but i am not happy with the general layout of the keyboard. That is just my opinion so go make your own.

This in short is what i believe makes the Gear S unique. I am sure you can find other reasons, so keep reading our blogs and enjoy.

--Your Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

You heard me, yes you can download and play cute little games on the your new Gear S. I guess the next question you will ask is, what kind of games can you really play on the dinky little screen? Well you will be pleasantly surprised!

If you recall a game called Flappy Bird which was surrounded by angry fans and controversy, some developer made a Gear S version of it called Flying Bird. The gameplay is quite simple. Tap for the bird to fly and you have to balance the taps to adjust for the altitude to make sure the bird survives the obstacle course. Some screenshots below:

208996_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-17-42.png222905_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-17-51.png228954_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-17-45.png

As you may find out, its a very addicting game and can take a lot of your time, but its not as easy as one might think!

another game I like to occasionally play is called TopDrive for Gear S. It is a very simple old school arcade car game where tapping speeds up the car and swiping changes lanes. Some screenshots below:

721427_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-19-10.png505469_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-19-23.png614588_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-19-13.png677612_Screenshot_2015-01-25-12-19-18.png

Again very simple game design with nice graphics. Just shows how far wearables have come in our lifetime.

I hope you get to enjoy these games and feel free to share others you may have found.

Until Next Time

--Your Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

In 2014, I was able to try the original Samsung Galaxy Gear, then the Samsung Gear Fit and end 2014 with Samsung Gear S. Wearables have come a long way since the Samsung Galaxy Gear as come out and I have been really impressed with the Gear S. The Gear S is more comfortable and has provided everything I need in a smartwatch with the ability to make calls without having to Bluetooth it to my phone, GPS for when I am downtown without my phone and it is very comfortable to wear.

20141219_145427.jpg

When I first saw that the Gear S has a 2.0” Curved Super AMOLED display, I thought it would be to big to wear. Now, I do not leave the house without it. I have the freedom of making calls from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and/or my Samsung Gear S when I am out running around town. Have you ever been in a situation where you need two phones... I have and now I have my Gear S and Note 4 to make calls from at the same time when needed.

faces.PNG

The Gear S stock clock faces are very stylish and another factor on me wanting a Gear S. Two of them remind me of the vintage driving watches from the 30's and 40's. Except this watch is more than a watch, it has about everything a phone while sitting on my wrist. I do not have to reach into my pocket to check the time, weather, messages or anything anymore....

Capture.PNG

Another feature the Gear S provides is the ability to pair it with my Bluetooth headset so I can make and receive calls from my Gear S. The pairing is so easy and allows me to go with just my Gear S on a run and not miss a call....

Samsung has produced in my opinion one of the best smartwatches on the market. I have not ran into any problems or issues with my Gear S in the last 3 months I have been wearing it. On average I go 1 - 2 days between charges which is excellent with everything it can do.... Thanks Samsung!

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

gear-s-logo.png

black_bangle_0.png

One of the things I love about my Samsung Gear S is that I can leave home and not worry about not having my phone on me because the Gear S is a phone. The Gear S gives everyone the freedom of not having to carry a phone because it provides the ability to make and receive calls, text messages, email and more all by itself. The 2 inch curved display makes it comfortable to wear so you can take it on a run, count your steps and navigation on your wrist.

Capture.PNG

Pairing the Samsung Gear S is easily done with Motorola Buds Premium HD headset through Gear S settings > Connections> Bluetooth> and BT Headset

settings.PNG

The next step is the actual pairing of the Bluetooth headset and in this example I am using my Motorola Buds. Once BT headset has been selected, perform a scan for your Bluetooth headset. When the headset appears, select it and the pairing will start and connect automatically.

pairing.PNG

Now, you have the freedom to make calls and keep your call private while on a run or anywhere....

Thanks for checking out my blog and let me know if this information was useful or if you have any questions about the Samsung Gear S.

Thanks again,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

The wearable market is fairly young, but you see a lot of variety now to intice any type of consumer. Samsung, like with their famous phablets, wanted to make an impact and own this space so in this short time, they have not 1, not 2, not 3, but maybe 5, 6 or 8 wearable options for your wrist. That is just insane. But with every iteration, Samsung has learned and made significant updates to make their smart watches stand out. So here we are again, with the latest and greatest, Samsung Gear S. This is their second curved display wearable (remember Gear Fit earlier this year?), but first full smartwatch with a curved touchscreen. It is the largest watch screen at 2" Samsung has produced so far with a 360x480 resolution. But this isnt the stand out feature you may be hoping for, although it does stand out when you wear it.

Samsung_Gear_Solo.jpg

The stand out feature I like the most about this watch is that this is the first watch with 3G capability. For Sprint, it supports 3G Voice and Data services for $10/month!

Now the watch will support all the usual features while connected with Bluetooth and does not need the 3G plan/connection to function, but the added functionality is what makes this watch really unique. The idea behind this concept is to leave your phone behind while you are going for a run or working out, which is one of the main selling points of any wearable. And Samsung did an extremely well job of making the user experience of forwarding your call and SMS simple and one touch. And if you ever forget to turn on your bluetooth even when the phone is near you, the phone will transmit the information via any available data network (WiFi, 3G/4G, etc.) to the watch which also support WiFi and 3G so you are never too far away from your notifications. The watch also supports GPS but I will cover its features in a different blog.

I hope this gives you some idea of why this watch is very unique and how in my opinion, Samsung has a winner on their hands. I hope they continue on this path and keep innovating to bring us even better features to make wearables a worthwile category in our lives.

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

I can't tell you how many times I've walked away from my phone and had to turn around and get it or realize that I'm too far away and just have to deal with being without my phone!  Not a good feeling.. It's amazing how much we rely on these devices and the sense of 'what am I going to do' sets in when it's too late to go back and get it. This is where the Gear S has  you covered, it is currently the only Samsung watch that you don't have to have your device nearby to use it! On those occasions that I happen to get up and walk away from my device  it's not so bad anymore! I can remotely forward my phone so all my calls will come straight to my Gear S, I'll still receive text messages and emails and not feel completely disconnected.

There are three ways you can connect your Gear S to the network: Bluetooth, Wifi, & Mobile network. With these options you can always ensure that you will stay connected when you have those moments of 'Leave Your Phone Behind'.

Here is a brief description of the Connections Modes and a link to the Gear S user Guide:

Connection Modes

There are several ways your Gear S can connect to a smartphone. The Gear S functionality depends on the connection mode.

When you configure Gear S connection settings, they may affect the way your Gear S works with a connected smartphone.

Connected via Bluetooth

In Bluetooth connection mode, the Gear S is connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth.

While in Bluetooth connection mode, the Gear S will receive notifications and calls from the connected smartphone and can use all of the Gear S and Samsung Gear app functions.

Connected Remotely

When connected remotely, the Gear S is not connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth, but is still connected to the smartphone via the mobile network.

While connected remotely, the Gear S will receive notifications and calls from the smartphone and have limited access to Samsung Gear app functions.

Gear Only

In Gear only mode, the Gear S is not connected to the smartphone, and is operating as a standalone device.

While in Gear only mode, the Gear S will only send and receive notifications and calls from the Gear S phone number, and will have no access to Samsung Gear app functions.

0 Comments

Find My Car - Samsung Gear S

Parking Mania.png

If you've ever traveled to Florida and have gone to the theme parks you know how crazy the parking situation can be and how easy it can be to forget where you parked your car. There are some great apps for your mobile device that help you remember where you parked and they work great, so long as the device is powered on. Lately camera's in mobile devices have really stepped up and take some great photos and, like most people, I use my device to capture photos of my family. That being said if I am taking a family vacation to Disney with my four children I am more than likely going to have quite a few photos and video's to take of them enjoying themselves.

Find my car.png

This is where the Gear S and the 'Find My Car' app really come in handy. From the  Gear S I can set a marker to where we parked and not have to worry about my device being fully charged or having to shut it off at some point throughout the day to save battery so I can when the time comes I can find where I parked.

find my car2.png

With the 'Find My Car' app for the Gear S I can quickly set a GPS marker, record a short message with the name and isle number and be on my way. Also, as an added benefit, with the 'Here' app it will actually map me to my car!

find my car3.png

So for some reason you decide not to take the tram to your general parking location and decide to walk it, you can get an actual route to your vehicle! Pretty cool

Here is the Description of the app from the Samsung Gear App Store

Description

'Find My Car' is a Gear app that works with Samsung's 'Car Mode'.

It helps you remember information on where you parked your car by

augmenting GPS location with your own notes and photograph.

Features include:

-Getting location information automatically after parking

-Augmenting parking location information with photograph

-Adding voice memos to parking location information

We hope you find it a useful companion to your Samsung Galaxy devices.

On supported models, (with 'Here for Gear' installed) you can get additional

control over parking location (route to parking spot with zoom in/out)

0 Comments

Christmas did come early for me for 2014.  I received the Samsung Gear S device from Sprint to try it out.  Have not worn a watch for over ten years (since I owned the first mobile phone) so I was nervous to see if I would wear one or not.

My first impression is that: it is beautiful.  I wanted to wear it.

Like every other device that comes today, the Gear S is well packaged:

The watch came with a micro USB charger and cable and a docking station.  In order to charge the device, I need to attach the watch to the docking station.  Attaching the watch to the docking station takes a little bit of tries to get used to. I was extra careful as I did not want to press on the face of the watch and may damage the screen.

As you can see underneath the watch, there are the four connectors to the docking station and there is the heart beat sensor.

The Gear S will require me to pair with a Samsung smart phone to perform the initial setup and app loading, although it has its own voice and data radio.  I have my Samsung Galaxy S4 which will be handy for this task.

The watch looks really cool. My wife claims that it probably looks a lot nicer on her than on me :-) just have to wait and see. :-)

Well, for the moment I keep the watch on charge for a while and will try to set up later.

Bye for now

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I will say that I love the ability to have everything I need right there on my wrist. I know I have said this before on a prior review, but it is so true!

Overall this was the best wearable I have used personally. I cannot wait to see how Samsung continues to grow the wearable field. They did such a great job with the Gear S. Making applications more accurate, screens larger, processes smoother than any of the older wearable devices. It truly was a pleasure to have this Gear S and I can tell you that I will be wearing this watch for quite some time.

Battery life is great! Lasts me the full day normally, and that is with pretty good usage (i.e. Listening to music, playing games, checking text, email, weather, etc.) The quality of picture on a 2" screen is incredible. The sound quality has not been an issue at all! Honestly for me, I have no big complaints. Great job to samsung on a great device!

Your Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

So here is another reason the Gear S is awesome! S voice gives you the ability to give commands vocally to your watch. It can then do it hands free. This is perfect for in the car, on a walk.

The voice recognition is very accurate. I have had no issues getting exactly what I say. Some out there may be hard to pickup your voice and tone, but this Gear S works great!

Need directions in a hurry, call someone fast, find the closest restaurant? well you can do that all without looking for your phone, messing with the navigation, going through the apps.... Just simply say your command and BOOM! Its done!

This is what they mean when tey say "Hands free". You can set your alarm, listen to text message, call someone, look up address, open an appsearch sports scores, lookup weather, check time and so much more just by speaking! Pretty cool huh?

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

0 Comments

The Gear S is my third smart watch. One thing that I do enjoy about the Gear S over some of the other smart watches I have used is the Fitness with S Health.

With the fitness and S Health you have the ability to check your steps, heart rate, run tracking, mileage and more. If you are an active person, this smart watch may be the next thing you need to buy!

UV: The UV tracker on the S Health actually measures the UV rays to see how much the intensity and helps you prevent too much UV rays including some tips on how to avoid it.

Sleep: This measures how much sleep you average and how much of your sleep is motionless. This is a great help in tracking and making sure you are sleeping enough, and maybe see if there is something that might need to be looked into further by a doctor etc.

Heart rate: Self explanatory really. This keeps you informed on your heart rate. This is one of the things that I liked about the Gear S. It is more accurate than other smart watches.

Pedometer: This also was more accurate on the gear S than other smart watches that I have tried. I have really enjoyed using the pedometer and seeing how active I am, and how many steps I take. And since this one is the most accurate that I have seen so far, it is that much better!

The fitness options on the Gear S alone make it worth the buy in my opinion. It works great, stays accurate, is durable, and also, I can go jogging without worrying about carrying a phone, since my Gear S IS my phone.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

I'm truly enjoying Samsung's Gear S and one of the many features I'm particularly fond of is the ability to customize the appearance.   In addition to selecting your clock style, number of homescreens, color themes, and fonts you have the opportunity to personalize your wearable with a selectable wallpaper.   For Android users this ability is nothing new as this capability has been readily available on handsets for years but this is sort of unique and welcome in the wearables space.   The improvement in the Gear S's display quality over previous smartwatch iterations simply begs users to dress it up so let's review a quick how to.

The Wallpaper of Choice

Selecting a background that meets your fancy requires little effort through a very user friendly interface available via the Gear's settings menu or through the handset based "Samsung Gear" manager application.   I'm going to highlight the Gear manager application below which is available for download on any Gear compatible handset. 

styler selectionpaint.png

wallpaper selectionpaint.png

Upon opening the Gear Manager app the image to the left will be the first menu screen displayed.   Simply select the Home screen styler option circled to take you to the wallpaper screenshot shown to the right for customization options.   Within this page you will have the opportunity to set your wallpaper as a base color, image, or any one of the native pictures or designs.   The option that I highlight here is the ability to take any of your gallery images and apply them as your background.   Of course I select a picture I took with my daughter because she is so dang cute!  Yep, she has me wrapped around her finger. . . I don't have a chance.    

So take advantage of the Gear S's much improved display and make the UI appearance your own.   Capture an interesting image of beautiful architecture? Bam wallpaper!   Happen to be a foodie and run across an amazing desert? Bam wallpaper!   Have a picture of your loved ones that make you smile each time you see it? Bam wallpaper!   I hope you found this post helpful, go check out other insights and tips from the Product Ambassador team to get the most out of your Gear S.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee    

0 Comments

One of my favorite things is to see how people do their watch faces.  This allows me to think of different ideas and also steal ideas that I like.  So I went onto XDA and found alot of faces that I liked and hope they give you an idea for how you might change it up.

http://i.imgur.com/PDOk1sl.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/0174b437d6ac7930b886336ad79e0d8e.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/603dce142a5f0fe3274a414fa0029243.jpg

XDA Username AKRAM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3024126&d=1416442485http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3034321&d=1416964047

XDA Username Bisto321

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3031843&d=1416844429

XDA Username AMadeUSZ.ODI

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3076774&d=1419263463

XDA Username syrguy1969

Like I said these were taken from this thread Post your Watch Faces | Samsung Gear S | XDA Forums

I included the usernames in case you wanted to look for the faces.  I hope you found something you liked.

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

I recently removed and the other day I pulled out my Samsung Galaxy Gear as I was unpacking one of my boxes for my office. Then I started comparing my Samsung Gear S with my Samsung Galaxy Gear. The display on my Gear S is larger and much more clearer than my Galaxy Gear as I expected with its 2" curved Super Amoled screen. The thing is my Gear even though it is bigger, it does not feel as bulky as my Galaxy Gear did.

20141219_145427.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Galaxy Gear and Gear S I have. The display on Gear is so crisp and rich in detail compared to the original Galaxy Gear. The size difference is really noticeable, although the curved display on the Gear S really makes a big difference.

20141219_145810.jpg

The icons on Gear S have improved to....

20141219_145844.jpg20141219_145829.jpg

One of the biggest improvements over the Galaxy Gear is the Pedometer. I use this feature more than the others, although as you see I am way behind on my steps today. That is one of the other things I like about the Gear S, the pop-up I receive when I am sitting at my desk telling me to get up and move around some.

20141219_145820.jpg

Samsung has done a great job expanding the Galaxy Gear into the Gear S that now provides the ability to make calls with its own dedicated phone number. The added size of the display does not make it bulkier with the display being curved. I look down at my Galaxy Gear and think.... it is so small yet feels so bulky. My Gear S is bigger and way more comfortable to wear. I am really impressed with the improvements Samsung has made with this smartwatch over the original Galaxy Gear.

What do you think about the two smartwatches?

Follow me as I continue to blog on the Samsung Gear S and Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Another question to ask is…What does your Gear S do for you?

One unique and combined feature is the S Health app that is integrated with the watch. It has Pedometer, Exercise, and Heart Rate, Sleep and UV notification and tracking sensors to make you more fit and efficient.

The Gear S doesn't just give you the basics it provides you with detailed analysis on how well you are doing. Today we will look at what the Pedometer has to offer.

Pedometer: Displays the numbers of steps, jogs, running in miles and the number of calories you have burned. It will also tell you how long you have been active along with a graph showing you what part of the day you are most active in. You can set a goals, review charts and logs as well as pausing your activity all from the touch screen of your Gear S device.

20141217_201648-1.jpg20141217_201535-1.jpg

Some other key options Healthy pace, Inactive time Profile and reset steps.

20141217_201205-1.jpg

Healthy pace: will let you know how well you are doing by displaying an icon once you have reached a steady pace of 100 steps for ten minutes. The key is to walk rapidly. 

20141217_202058-1.jpg

Inactivity time: Basically another term for saying you are slacking. My Gear S has prompted me several times with a notification to prompt me to walk around. Most of the time, I just ignore mine.

20141217_202656-1.jpg

Profile: Allows you to set your gender, Date of Birth, Height, weight and distance of unit.

20141217_204059-1.jpg

A lot of options to help you to get in and stay in shape.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

desk-pic_gizmodo.jpg

image credit: gizmodo.com

One of my favorite features of the Samsung GearS is the nifty charge dock. Similar to the Gear Fit, the Gear S carries the IP-67 rating for dust and liquid intrusion protection. As such, and in order to maintain dust and liquid protection, there are no direct open ports on the Gear S (same as the Gear Fit). You have to snap on a charge dock to the back of the Gear S in order to charge up it's 300 mAh battery. The cradle, which itself is not rated for dust or liquid intrusion, has a micro-USB port on the side which transfers energy to the Gear S. But not before it charges its own battery.

Battery?? Yes, there's a battery built in the charge dock.

The Gear S charge dock comes with its own built in 350 mAh battery. So when you charge your Gear S, you're also charging the charge dock. This is very useful, especially if you will be away from a power source for a long time - camping, at a music festival, stranded on an island, whatever. Just pop the small dock in your bag or backpack and take it with you. It's small and light. You'll hardly know it's with you. If you're a heavy user of the Gear S, especially in stand-alone mode with the 3G and voice radio running full time, you may need a charge boost to carry you through a heavy day or couple of days of use. Pop the dock on to the back of the Gear S when you give your body a break and you'll be giving your Gear S a boost of energy at the same time.

The charge dock's 350 mAh battery holds enough energy to charge up the Gear S from dead to full charge one time. Or you can use it to give your Gear S a few short boosts at a time. Either way, you're packing enough stored energy to get you through the most demanding days.

I hope this helps you get the most from your Gear S. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

Depending on the type of watch you are using, I am sure you are thinking well it gives me the time, the day of the week and month.

For the past couple of weeks, I have actually been testing the Samsung’s Gear S smartwatch. I captivated by the design, beauty and the features of the watch.

Unlike the previous versus of Samsung’s smart watch this device is designed with some elegance and style in which one would fall in love with. The display alone is eye catching and I am constantly pulled to the side or approached with questions related to what kind of watch I have and where can one purchase one from.

1.jpg2.jpg

The first thing you would notice is the curve rectangular display. I have a small wrist, but I do not feel it is too bulky or take away from any other clothing or jewelry in which one would have on in conjunction with the watch.

3.jpg

The display is about 2 inches and it is a Super AMOLED screen which allows for a better experience and response from when the device screen is touched.

4.jpg

There is one single button on the device which allows one to turn on and off the device even in standby mode. This one button can also to you back to the main screen.

This watch also comes with a proximity sensor that is located left of the power key and on the back there is the speaker, Heart rate sensor charging connector which uses a snap on charger and the microphone.

5.jpg

Overall, I love the feel and the solid nature of the device. I will share more details within my next post.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

faces.PNG

One of the things I love about my Samsung Gear S are the various clock face options I have that come preloaded... My favorite is the gold toned old style driving watch clock face with pedometer and battery set as my two options.

20141212_170307.jpg

These are two of the features I use the most along other than time and weather which are already set for this clock face. The clock face is easy to change from either your Gear S or if you have a Samsung smartphone paired with it.

Steps to change Gear S clock faces from the watch:

1. On the Clock screen, touch and hold on the screen
  2. Swipe to the left or right to browse clock types
  3. Tap a clock to select it

Here are some screenshots from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gear Manager on how to change clock face from your phone:

1. From the Home screen of your phone, touch Apps Apps Icon > Samsung Gear Gear Manager Icon or select Samsung Gear S from task bar at the top of your phone.

2. Touch Home screen styler

Step 1.jpg

3. Touch the clock tab to access the preloaded clock face options (wallpapers will be in another blog topic)

Step 2.png

4. Select a clock style for your Gear S Clock screen. You can choose from the preloaded STYLE CLOCKS or BASIC CLOCKS or Download more (some are free and some cost)

Options.PNG

5. Touch cog or gear icon to configure the settings

Screenshot_2014-12-12-16-58-51.png

Changing the clock face is faster from the watch itself, although it is nice to have multiple options....

• Which clock face is your favorite?
  • Would you use one of the stock clock faces or download a custom one?

Follow me as I blog on the Samsung Gear S and Samsung Note 4 over the next couple of weeks...

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Are you giving the gift of technology this year? Are you getting the gift of technology? Either way someone will be a very happy camper! Whether you're giving or getting a Samsung GearS make sure you get the most from it with some simple customizations.

The Gear S comes with 4 GB of on-board storage. You can use this storage for music, apps or both. So load up your Gear S with all the useful apps that will make the most of your wrist-worn wearable technology. I've found a few useful apps that I'll share with you here.

First, understand how to customize the layout of your Gear S "home screen" faces. If you swipe the watch face from right-to-left you can access the widget panels. These panels can be customized and arranged as you see fit. The Gear S comes with a number of widgets which can be added, up to five widget panels max. In order to customize the layout (order) you have to remove and/or add a widget in the proper order. So if the widget you want to be "first" off the clock face happens to be at the far right of the clock face, you have to remove all widgets and start adding back in the desired order.

To add a new widget panel swipe all the way to the far right. If you have room for additional widgets you will the "+" sign. Click the + and add whichever widget you wish.

20141208_131945_resized.jpg

If there's a widget you want but don't have room (used all 5 panels), or if you want to remove widgets in order to rearrange, just long press on any existing widget and tap the red "-" in the corner. You can remove as many as you wish.

20141208_131924_resized.jpg

Now you know how to customize widget panels, time to add apps to get the most from your Gear S.

To add apps you have to use the Gear Manager on your host Samsung Galaxy device. The Gear Manager accesses Samsung's App Market to download and install apps to your Gear S. While the Gear S comes with many nifty apps pre-installed, it may not have everything you need or want.

Here are a few useful apps that I've added to my Gear S.

Opera browser. Yes! You read correctly. I added a real, full-fledged browser. You may find it a bit of an eye strain to surf the web on a 2 inch  screen, I still find it useful to be able to look something up or check a web site with a legit browser with a flick of your wrist. Here's a pic of my Facebook as displayed on the Gear S.

4252615_20141209_144653.jpg

Compass: Useful for following directional navigation, or if you hike in the woods.

20141208_132237_resized.jpg

Another useful app I found is the Stopwatch app by Samsung. I don't have a pic here, but I find the stopwatch app useful for when I hit the gym and want to measure rest times, plank durations and more.

If you have favorite apps for your Gear I'd love to hear about it in the comments section!

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

HERE.PNG

One of my favorite new features on the GEAR S is the built in GPS. What really stands out with it is the ability to use it without your device. There are two ways to use it as a standalone GPS, One is to have the device activated on your account and the other is to download offline Maps via wifi.One thing that I really like is that the Gear S will vibrate when you are supposed to turn, so if you are walking and talking with a crowd in an unfamiliar place you'll get a physical notification of when to make your next turn. I really like this feature and looking forward to trying it out. Next week we will be in the Florida Keys for vacation and will be fun to put this to the test for locations that we aren't familiar with.

Lastly you can still use the Here GPS app while tethered to your device, Once you download the HERE app select pedestrian and enter your destination in and when it comes up you'll have the ability to "Send to Gear"

Send to Gear.png

Overall I really like having this feature in a smart watch and look forward to using it, a lot!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

So my favorite part of the Gear S I would say is having everything I need on my wrist. Here is just a short list of some of them.

Texting: This is probably the best in my opinion. I can check text messages and write a quick reply. Yes, the keyboard is a bit small, but the thing is, that it has swype. It is very accurate so I can just slide my finger over the letters I want, and there you go! A quick message without even pulling out your phone!

Navigation: Are you tired of messing with your phone, or get frustrated cause you cannot hear your phone in your lap, or on the center console? No worries, its on your wrist! Turn by turn directions right there in front of you the whole time!

Emails: Read emails on the fly! Wherever you are! Never miss that important email again! Its on your wrist!

Weather: Need to know what to wear for the day? Or if you need an umbrella? No problem! Just turn your wrist and you got the weather!

Health: Get your heart rate, footsteps, Etc. right from your wrist! This is an awesome feature for those that are active or just watching your health!

Music: You can get Samsung Milk app right on the watch! You can play music, control the music, turn down the volume, everything right there! No messing with your phone!

I can keep going, but I think you get the picture! You can just about do it all right from your wrist!

0 Comments

Samsung-Gear-S_Blue-Black_2.jpg

This is a full review of the Samsung Gear S.  I posted an initial impression blog that was a quick overview of what I liked about the watch.  This will be more informative and in depth. I will cover the Design, Tops apps that are compatible, and my final thoughts.

Samsung-Gear-S_Blue-Black_4.jpg

Design:

This wearable sets its self apart from it's previous versions by adding a SIM slot and GPS.  This allows the watch to have it's own data connection and allows for GPS tracking for running or exercising general.  The original Galaxy gear offered a flat screen with a camera.  While the Gear S does not have a camera they have designed it to curve slightly to match the contour of your wrist.  It is bulkier than a normal watch and definitely screams "Look at my smart-watch" I find it comfortable.  I would say they have made many leaps in the design of this watch.  I give it a 9/10 in comfortably and a 7/10 in bulkiness.

slider-gsl-apps.png

Top Apps:

HERE App

here-for-gear-1415629342-FpZ9-column-width-inline.jpg

Nokia's HERE maps app is actually more polished than you might think, and certainly capable of challenging the Apple and Google equivalents. HERE is available for Tizen and offers turn-by-turn directions, offline map caching, phone-free operation and more.

Nike+ App

401-19305f2b81921cdf181b32eda8831794-1415629047-WiwP-column-width-inline.png

It's not just Nokia getting in on the Samsung Gear S action as Sammy tech giant has teamed up with Nike to offer the popular Nike+ Running app straight out of the box. The GPS radio of the Gear S means that you won't need to pair your smartphone to get in on the Nike+ Running fun as your new smart watch can do all the tracking on-the-go. There's also a built-in music player within the app and your heart-rate can of course be monitored by the Gear S's optical sensor too.

Travel Translator

07-travel-translator-1411062477-OXfa-column-width-inline.jpg

This is the top-rated app on the Samsung Gear devices right now, and it's not difficult to see why. You can get instant translations for 37 different languages by just speaking at your wrist — from understanding road signs to ordering food in a strange country, it's hugely helpful to have to hand.

For more apps check out the source for this section at The best apps for your Samsung Gear smartwatch

Final Thoughts

With smart watches still fairly new in the grand scheme of things it is hard to exactly nail down what you want in your wearable.  I think the Gear S makes a valiant attempt to meet many needs that were missed in the previous versions.  I enjoy the form factor as well as the ease of use.  If your one who is on the fore front of technology and want a stable device with alot to offer.  I believe the Samsung Gear S is the device for you.

0 Comments

Gear s.jpg

Picture taken from Here

I have had the Gear S for over a week now and I have to say I am impressed.  I have had the pleasure of using the Galaxy Gear and Gear Fit and I have to say that this Gear S fits better than both of those. It takes the best form factor from the two worlds and combines it in the amazing wearable.  Being longer like the fit but keeping the width like the original Galaxy Gear give this watch the proper attention it deserves. The display is amazing and the best battery life I have seen on any wearable!  With the ability to chose from numerous watch faces you have the chance to have a different watch everyday.

Gears faces.jpg

Picture taken from Here

The neatest and probably most different about this watch comparable to previous versions is that you can purchase your own plan for it.  This allows the watch to become its own device.  You can receive texts and phone calls on it with a Bluetooth headset connected.  I will be posting on some cool features used to gain full use of the watch.

0 Comments

Over the last year I've been incredibly fortunate to have been extended the opportunity to experience a couple of Samsung's wearable products.   I'm currently on Samsung's latest product iteration, the Gear S, and thought I would provide a few of my personal thoughts on how this version differs from the the original. 

orignal gear.JPG

new gear.jpg

vs.

Design-  Just speaking to the aesthetic appearance between the two the Gear S is a huge improvement over it's older sibling.   The appearance is much more inline with my expectations of what a smart watch should look like.   The original Gear had a heavy, boxy, industrial feel to it while the Gear S comes across as much more streamline, futuristic, and comfortable.  The curve in the body design mitigates some of the size, it still makes its presence felt on your wrist but comes across more integrated vs. being a protrusion.

Function-   Design took a big step forward but usability took an even bigger one.    The upgraded curved display looks significantly sharper and brighter which improved my user experience thus my willingness to interact with it more regularly.   No camera this time around but to be honest I can't say I miss it, it was fun acting like a secret agent when I first got the original Gear but the novelty wore off quick and I didn't use it anytime thereafter.

Notifications-   The improved display, the increased amount of viewable space, and adjustment to display full text and email contents make for a much improved notification functionality.  Notification functionality for me is by far the most practical feature of the watch, because I have a larger phone in the Note 4 the ability to quickly review notifications for email, text, and a host of other selectable applications keeps me from having to lug the beast out of my pocket if I don't have to.  This was one of my pain points with the original Gear which only displayed the first few lines of text. The ability to see the entire message is a very welcome change.

In all the Gear S is a successful product iteration, Samsung addressed the concerns I had from the previous iterations and improved the overall style making this a watch I'm quite happy and comfortable wearing.   If you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know, in future posts I'll provide some hints and tips on how to customize the watch to optimize your experience.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

THIS IS A WATCH!?

That was my first thought!

samsung-gear-s.jpg

Photo provided by Mashable.com

Screen: The 2.0" Super Amoled screen on your wrist I will have to say just looks so cool! I get so many people coming up to me asking, "Thats a watch!?" I always tell them, "Yah, those were my first thoughts too".

Features: Being able to text, call, use GPS, fitness tracking, heart rate sensor and much more from your wrist is so amazing! No need to pull something out of your pocket, no need to look around for it, ITS ON YOUR WRIST! I just cannot get over this!

Comfort: I was thinking to myself at first that "Something this big cannot be comfortable". But i was wrong. It just feels like another watch, but better. I honestly forget its even on sometimes until I hear my wrist ring! Then i laugh.

I will be going into much more detail this week on my next review on the Samsung Gear S. Be sure to follow me for more reviews on the Gear S, Note 4, Sharp Aquos, and many more!

4 Comments

Capture.PNG

One of the unique features of the Samsung Gear S is the ability to make a phone call without having to be Bluetooth to a phone. My Gear S has its own number so that if I leave home without my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, I can still make and receive calls if needed.

Making a call from my Gear S is very simple....

Making calls 1.PNG

Swipe up from the bottom and Tap Phone and that will bring up the dialpad

Making calls 2.PNG

Enter the phone number and press Green Phone icon and your call is connected...

Now I am able to make calls on the go if I am in a rush and leave my phone at home or if I want to go exercise and not worry about losing my phone....

I like having a watch that also works as a phone without having to have another phone connected all the time... check out the Samsung Gear S at a Sprint store near you.

Follow me as I continue to blog about the Samsung Gear S and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Gear S.PNG

We are not big into the Black Friday shopping crowds so we decided to just hang out at home and watch some movies until about 5pm when we headed down into town for the Light Up Eustis celebration and looked forward to seeing the town lit up with all the Christmas lights. That being said I decided to see how well the standalone feature of the Gear S worked and if it was really worth it. Got to say it was pretty hard leaving the Note 4 at home and just relying on the Gear S. Only thing I couldn't do was take photo but we just used my wife's device for that.

Service:

Works great! I paired my Motorola Buds BT headset to the Gear S and have to say that in the beginning it was kind of strange not having my phone on me but it was easy to reply to texts and take phone calls. turned out to be really convenient.

I made sure ahead of time to charge the charging cradle and brought it along with me just incase as I wasn't sure how my battery life would be but I am happy to say that I was able to go the entire evening and not worry about the Gear S dying.

Preparation:

Unfortunately this is something that doesn't automatically happen you have to turn the "Call Forwarding" on while paired to your device or via remote connection (Settings>>Connections>>Mobile Networks, set to Auto or Always On).

Its not something that happens out of the box. Also you have to be aware that with "Mobile Networks" on the Gear S set to "Always On" it will affect your battery life. Just remember that if your device is powered off you won't be able to

enable the "Call Forwarding" Feature.

Conclusion:

I can see that in a pinch this is a life saver but not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Overall I was extremely happy with this test, I know that this wouldn't be something I'd do all the time but knowing that I can "get by" with the Gear S and BT headset made for a relaxing evening. There have been times where I've walked out of the house and got 10-15mins away from the house and realized I left my phone on the table and you just have that feeling like 'man what am I going to miss' but knowing that with the Gear S I was able to activate the call forwarding and continue on with our plans as its really assuring.