cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make your Galaxy Gear into a Gear 2 (well kind of)

Patron

I think one of the most frustrating things about technology is that when you purchase something that is new to the industry you usually get stuck with the first generation of a a product that is nothing more than that - the first one. Usually you can not upgrade the software or get any cool things the following generations get. So I have to say I was pretty excited when I heard Samsung was going to release a software upgrade for the Galaxy Gear that would load Tizen OS onto it and replace the Android OS it came with. My first thought was "SWEET!", now I don't have to shell out the cash for the next generation Gear and my wife won't want to kill me for buying yet another wearable. So the question that followed my excitement was "how much will this make my Galaxy Gear like a Gear 2 or Gear Neo?" Here is what I found after I did the software upgrade:

The upgrade was easy, other than time it was painless. Time wise I left it to do its' thing for a couple of hours. After the upgrade (see my Blog on Upgrade your Gear to 2014 with Tizen), I noticed a couple of things right off the bat. First my battery life was much better. Pre-Tizen I got a day to day & a half of use and after the Tizen upgrade I was closer 2 days between charges. Now I know some folks are like whoopie do, but hey an extra 50-75% worth of battery is pretty dang good in my books. Also the fact that I can use the Pedometer and SYNC it with S Health is amazing! Plus now I can use the Sleep Tracker to see when I get restless at night. And my favorite feature add is being able to store up to 2 GB of music on my Gear and listen to it via a bluetooth headset. Why is this important or my favorite feature? Because there are some days I don't want my phone strapped to my arm and this makes an extremely convient feature to still have access to my workout playlist.

All and all, maybe the Gear is a little bulkier than the Gear 2/Gear 2 Neo. And so what it doesn't have the heart rate sensor built in. If you already have a Galaxy Gear and you don't want to cash out in order to upgrade just yet, an upgrade to the Tizen OS should help you extedn your happiness with your Galaxy Gear.

YOUR PRODUCT AMBASSADOR TEAM

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee