cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Galaxy Gear Fit - Accelerometer

Wizard

Capture.PNG

Every year Sprint has an employee "Get-Fit" challenge and in previous years we could get a pedometer that just clips onto your belt. One of the things I  noticed about it is that you could hear it "click" each time you took a step

(it wasn't super loud but if you were walking alone you could hear it). What I was hearing was a pendulum swinging and making contact which would register a "step" however with those you have to wear them a certain way or they don't work

right and sometimes when running it would register two steps instead of one.

How does that saying go "necessity is the mother of invention".

With our culture getting more and more into the mindset of the importance of fitness there would have to be a better way to more accurately track your movement and get very accurate information on tracking your fitness goals and progress and a pendulum swing

just won't cut it.

Below is a brief article I found on an accelerometer and how it's used to more accurately track your steps and one of the main benefits of having a device that uses an accelerometer is that it doesn't matter where it's oriented on your persons. I've even tested this with my

Galaxy Gear Fit that I'll launch the pedometer and put my arm in front of my chest, as if I were looking at my watch holding my arm horizontal, and you can watch the step counter go up and properly count your movement.

What’s an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is like a Pedometer 2.0. Instead of using that old-fashioned little mechanical arm to detect force and calculate movement,

an accelerometer measures force using the properties of microelectromechanical engineering. Engineers can measure and convert an itsy-bitsy

nanosized movement into something called METS, which stands for metabolic equivalent. METS is like horsepower, but for humans instead of cars.

It’s basically the intensity of your activity. So here’s what happens: an accelerometer uses capacitive sensing to measure microelectromechanical

movement and track the force of your motion. An engineer writes a computer program then converts your force into a MET score. And because scientists

know the MET of common activities like walking (a normal walking pace is 4.0 METs), we can figure out how many steps you took.

This method is a whole lot more precise than a swinging pendulum arm. It’s also more reliable because most accelerometers (including Zamzee)

measure force along three axises. So even if you wear your accelerometer sensor upside down, sideways or backwards, it still accurately tracks

the force you exerted moving from Point A to Point B.

Source

Another great article on it as well

HowStuffWorks

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.