cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Gear Fit - Does Accuracy Matter?

Sprint Product Ambassador

The most compelling reason to spend money on a fitness device or "wearable" is to help with your diet and exercise plans. The whole idea behind a fitness wearable is tracking your movement so you're not "Guesstimating" or vague-logging. However, if the wearable isn't reasonably accurate then you might as well go back to vague-logging and keep the extra dough in your wallet.

There have been several posts on tech media sites about the Gear Fit since its introduction. Most of them are positive. Some of them are negative, mostly about the perceived accuracy. And by accuracy I'm referring to how the Gear Fit counts steps as a pedometer and measures activity as a fitness monitor. I decided to do my own, non-scientific testing.

I made up two tests:

1. Outdoor walk of a known route that's been measured many times by different devices and technologies.
  2. Indoor walk on a high quality treadmill that measures distance.

Test one: Walking a known path outdoors. I used an Android device and Endomondo Pro to track my well-worn path to exactly 2.00 miles. I put the Gear Fit wearable into Exercise mode, set to Walking and started. At the end of my walk the Gear Fit registered 2.02 miles, which is +/- 1% variance. Plus, with my pre-populated profile data (gender, height, weight) it gave me a reasonably close proximity of calorie burn, as compared to MyFitnessPal with the same bio information.

IMAG0006_ws.jpg

Test two: Walking on a high quality treadmill to exactly 2.0 miles. I used the treadmill's readout to measure my distance which is based on a known length of tread and how many revolutions are made, and nothing to do with my body dimensions. Stopping at exactly 2.0 miles my Gear Fit read 2.02 miles walked. Again, this is +/- 1% variance and a good comparison against outdoor use.

Some media reviews have negatively reviewed the Gear Fit's pedometer settings and claim they are "wildly inaccurate." My experience is quite the opposite. I am finding the pedometer reading to be reasonably close. By reasonably close I really mean, in the grand scheme of things, when I set a pedometer goal to 10,000 steps a day, and if the pedometer is 2%, 3% or even as much as 5% off, then it's, as they say about hand grenades, close enough. We're talking about a potential difference of 200 - 500 steps for a 10,000 step/day goal. I think if I'm walking between 9,500 - 10,500 steps per day that meets the goals that I have for myself and using a fitness wearable.

As an added bonus, you can monitor your heart rate in real time while you're in Exercise mode without having to wear a cumbersome chest strap. Bonus!

I hope you found this info and review helpful. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee