cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Gear

0 Comments

So Samsung launched the Tizen SW for the original Gear to make everything more consistent across their brand. So once I got mine updated I started to look at what was new with this update. I was surprised to see that everything is identical to the new Gear 2 SW.

http://liliputing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/samsung-galaxy-gear-with-tizen.jpg  http://cdn.cultofandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-15-at-14.22.32-940x542.jpg

As you can see above the UI is the same. However, there is an option to revert the UI somewhat back to the Android view but why would you?

Also available now is the Sleep Monitoring ability which was new in the Gear 2. Every new app works too except any health/fitness app that requires the use of a heart rate monitor as that would be a hardware deficiency. I hope you get to update your watch too and enjoy the new features.

Until next time - please follow me to read my other blogs

- Your product ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices/services and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices/services, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I think one of the most frustrating things about technology is that when you purchase something that is new to the industry you usually get stuck with the first generation of a a product that is nothing more than that - the first one. Usually you can not upgrade the software or get any cool things the following generations get. So I have to say I was pretty excited when I heard Samsung was going to release a software upgrade for the Galaxy Gear that would load Tizen OS onto it and replace the Android OS it came with. My first thought was "SWEET!", now I don't have to shell out the cash for the next generation Gear and my wife won't want to kill me for buying yet another wearable. So the question that followed my excitement was "how much will this make my Galaxy Gear like a Gear 2 or Gear Neo?" Here is what I found after I did the software upgrade:

The upgrade was easy, other than time it was painless. Time wise I left it to do its' thing for a couple of hours. After the upgrade (see my Blog on Upgrade your Gear to 2014 with Tizen), I noticed a couple of things right off the bat. First my battery life was much better. Pre-Tizen I got a day to day & a half of use and after the Tizen upgrade I was closer 2 days between charges. Now I know some folks are like whoopie do, but hey an extra 50-75% worth of battery is pretty dang good in my books. Also the fact that I can use the Pedometer and SYNC it with S Health is amazing! Plus now I can use the Sleep Tracker to see when I get restless at night. And my favorite feature add is being able to store up to 2 GB of music on my Gear and listen to it via a bluetooth headset. Why is this important or my favorite feature? Because there are some days I don't want my phone strapped to my arm and this makes an extremely convient feature to still have access to my workout playlist.

All and all, maybe the Gear is a little bulkier than the Gear 2/Gear 2 Neo. And so what it doesn't have the heart rate sensor built in. If you already have a Galaxy Gear and you don't want to cash out in order to upgrade just yet, an upgrade to the Tizen OS should help you extedn your happiness with your Galaxy Gear.

YOUR PRODUCT AMBASSADOR TEAM

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Capture.JPG

Samsung recently announced a OS software update for the Galaxy Gear. This update requires the person performing the update to connect their Galaxy Gear to a computer with the use of Kies 3.0. I performed the software update to see how my Galaxy Gear will work and operate after the upgrade....

1.JPG

After I updated my Kies to 3.0, I placed my Galaxy Gear in my charging cradle and connected my Galaxy Gear to my computer using my USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy S5. Soon as I plugged my Galaxy Gear in, Kies told me I had a Software Update available. All I had to do next is click through the steps on the screen and the update was very easy...

Update 2.JPGUpdate 3.JPG

Once the update is complete you will receive the screen below and you can then unhook your Galaxy Gear and check out the new options and looks of your Galaxy Gear with Tizen.

Update 5.JPG

I have been enjoying my Galaxy Gear with Tizen for several days now. Now, my Galaxy Gear is similar to my Gear Fit. The advantage of Galaxy Gear over the Gear Fit with Tizen is the ability to make and receive phone calls and take pictures...

Gear faces.JPG

Few of the new Galaxy Gear clock options with Tizen

For complete instructions and support on how to update Galaxy Gear to Tizen, check out Samsungs website here Updating the Software on my Samsung Galaxy Gear™ : Galaxy Gear | Samsung

Thanks for checking out my blog on Samsung Galaxy Gear Tizen update!

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

When I think back to the first couple of times I used the Galaxy Gear 1, I remember carrying the cradle with me everywhere I went. The battery didn't last very long, and was a bit draining on my phone as well with the use of apps like ATN manager. However, as Samsung continues to improve its wearble skin of Android 4.2.2, the watch feels much faster and drains far less battery on both my watch and phone. Fast forward to today and I'm easily getting through the work day without having to break out the charger. I do still carry the cradle in my bag out of habit ( I carry a couple charging cords as backups usually) just in case.

Just yesterday, I had a very busy day, in which the gear was the most useful device i used. It was full of meetings, emails, trainings, calls and texts. All of which i controlled or viewed on my wrist. I even looked up a contact on my watch because I was a few feet from my phone in the next cube.I know I keep telling how useful the watch is, but that's only because its USEFUL! So go get one! You'll be very glad you did.

Thanks for reading! For more information please visit: Samsung Gear

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

wristphone.jpg

Making calls on Samsung Galaxy Gear is so easy, my 20 month old can do it. Really.... I don't know how many times I am sitting or holding my daughter and next thing I know I hear my phone dialing someone. It is a scramble to disconnect because she has either dialed a random number or from my phonebook.

samsung_660_090513085427.jpg

The keypad is real easy to use and able to see the numbers very clearly... Once number has been entered, just press the phone icon next to 0 to dial. My daughter has done it countless times already. Yesterday, Emma dialed a co-workers number from my phonebook...

incoming_Call.png

Answering calls is just as easy.... when a call comes in, just swipe one way or the other to answer or to decline the call. The other day I did not have my phone was in my back pocket so I just answer the call from my Galaxy Gear.

Go check out Samsung Galaxy Gear at a Sprint store near you!

Thanks for reading my blog

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

The camera phone revolutionized our ability to capture those moments in life that are worth remembering. Prior to carrying a camera phone in your pocket and/or purse at all times, people would have to carry a relatively large dedicated camera. This camera would not be carried around unless one expected to take a photo and this was what prevented most people from being able to take a picture of those random moments in life.

In today's world, if your one year old son or daughter points at the sky and a butterfly lands on his/her index finger, all it takes is going into your pocket and taking out your phone, turning on the screen, going to the camera app, and taking the photo. But in a way, even this takes a long time. By the time you finish this, you may have missed the moment. The butterfly may have left or your one year old may have moved his or her hand out of the way. What if there was an easier, faster, and more accessible way?

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/0000294bf/6e94_orh400w600/Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-8.jpg

Image Source: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/0000294bf/6e94_orh400w600/Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-8.jpg

With the Galaxy Gear, there is. Imagine the same scenario, only this time you have a galaxy gear. The butterfly lands on your son's/daughter's finger. You move your watch into view (to automatically turn on the screen and point the camera at your son or daughter in one fell swoop), swipe down once (to open the camera app), and then tap the screen once (to take the picture.) This whole process is much faster than using your phone and thus you have a much higher chance of taking the picture while the moment is still in place.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Samsung_Galaxy_Gear_Review_Camera.jpg

Last week I went to pick up lunch and I was asked if my watch was one of those smart watches. I said yes, it is made by Samsung called Galaxy Gear... then I shared with them some of the features it has like the camera. Galaxy gear comes with a 1.9MP camera and provided them a little demo on how it works.

Accessing the camera is very easy and one way is through the Galaxy Gear Apps. Scroll to Apps, select Camera and then touch the screen when you are ready to take a picture.... go back to your Apps to view pictures in Gallery or you can view them on your Galaxy phone under Galaxy Gear folder.

20140706_204140.jpg20140706_204156.jpg20140706_204208.jpg20140706_204216.jpg

I provided a demo to one of my co-workers on how the camera and thought it was really cool as did my daughters....

20140625_120517.jpg

Check out the Samsung Galaxy Gear and the other features it offers....

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

I call my wife more than I call anyone else in the world. She also calls me more than anyone else in the world. The funny thing is, only about 3/4 of those calls are to talk. The rest of those calls are used to track down each other's misplaced phones. The Galaxy Gear has a great feature, that allows me to find my device without having to have my wife call it, though!

Here is how it works:

1. Misplace phone (This step is automated at my house.)

2. On the Gear, tap on "Apps"

3. Tap on "Find my device"

4. Press "Start"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/IMG_20140704_130955.jpg

5. Find your phone. (Keep in mind, this will only work while you are in the Bluetooth range of your device.)

6. Either press "Stop" on the phone, or slide the red X on your Galaxy phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/IMG_20140704_130955.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-04-13-05-16.png

As you can see, it is a simple to use and extremely useful feature. So much so, that I changed the default power button double tap to default to the "Find my device" function. Here are the steps do this:

1. Open the "Gear Manager" app

2. Tap on "Settings"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-04-14-15-09-1.png

3. Tap on "Double pressing power key"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-04-14-15-16-1.png

4. Tap on "Find my device"

Now, if you misplace your device, all you have to do is:

0 Comments

For those gamers out there that have played Bethesda Softworks's Fallout 3:

How many of you have always wanted your very own Pip-Boy 3000? Well, if you have a Galaxy Gear, you can make it look just like one!

1. Install the Watch Styler for Gear app from the market.

2. Go here on your phone's browser and download the WSTHEME file.

3. Open the Watch Styler app on the phone, click on "Load Theme", chose "My files", and select "PipboySMV700", then press "Load".

4. Open the Gear Manager, choose "Clocks", chose the "WatchStyler" watch, then click on the settings button on the right of it. Make sure the Pipboy theme is selected.

You should now be greeted with this:

http://gearfaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/device-2014-02-14-202832.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/IMG_20140703_225720.jpg

0 Comments

I have been using smartphones for a very long time. In fact, I was using smartphones for years before Apple announced the iPhone and Google announced Android. Throughout all this time, I have always used my smartphone's calendar to keep track of my life's events. Yet, throughout all this time, I have been known to miss and forget events quite often. Why? Because the reminders are either on an app I have to open (which takes effort for a lazy guy) or they are on the screen as a widget (that I never look at because I never look at my home screen.) It took a while until something came along that finally helped me keep track of my events. The Samsung Galaxy Gear comes with a watch face that keeps currently relevant events right below the time. Now, when I check my time, I automatically see any pending events as well. Furthermore, my wife and I both keep our own calendars but use Google's ability to share calendars to keep each other up to date on things like my son's appointments and such. In Google Calendar, you see both calendars as one but color coded depending on who created the event. Anything from my wife shows up in pink and anything from me shows up in blue. The Galaxy Gear copies over this color coded tagging so in a quick glance, I am able to see the time, any current calendar events as well as who set up the particular calendar event. This is truly brilliant! I can even see the events that JUST passed and they are slightly grayed out so that I can tell them apart form active events.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/screen.png

Above, you can see the watch face. The reason for the lack of a event description is that I have multiple concurrent events. If I only had one event currently scheduled, it would show a description under the event's time.

Clicking on the event time, you can see all the current events.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/screen2-1.png

Above, you can see that if the event provides an address, the watch provides said address to you as well.

Notice that the font and blue tag is somewhat grayed out. This is because the event has already or has just recently ended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/screen3.png

Notice the pink in the above picture. This event was added by my wife. (My son is taking swimming lessons as you may have read from one of my previous blogs.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/screen5.png

In the image above, the color tag and the font are much brighter. That is because this event has yet to begin.

0 Comments

In another blog post recently, I made mention of the World Cup, and being able to watch the games on my handsets.

While I expected my handsets to serve me well for the tournament, the Galaxy Gear has surprisingly been the PERFECT World Cup companion. The notifications for game times, twitter notifications, scores and breaking news have been keeping me up to date while I’m at work. I’ve been able to see all of the games so far, but on more than one occasion the watch has buzzed me that a game was starting, allowing me to open the correct app on my device in time for kick off. I’ve also used the watch-styler app to create custom watch faces showing my support for the US national team! It’s a great feeling when you are sitting with a group of supporters and someone catches a glimpse of your USA watchface

The best part of having the watch during the tournament, is it keeps me informed even when my phone is showing the game. When an email or text comes through, I can see who it’s from and decide whether or not I need to interrupt the game on my phone, or wait until halftime to respond. So far no one’s communication has been important enough for me to stop watching the game! USA USA USA!!!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

samsung-galaxy-gear.png

Last week I received a black Samsung Galaxy Gear from our Product Ambassador team. The Samsung Galaxy Gear comes with a charging cradle, charger and manual in the box. I found out that my USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy S4 will come in handy....

image_5805.jpg

My Galaxy Gear would not charge using the regular AC charger. I tried several plugins and I received one pop-up of the battery showing 0% charge and then died again..... like others I could not find anything in my manual how to resolve my Galaxy Gear not charging.

USB.JPG

I then went online and searched Google and found others reporting the same with their Galaxy Gear if the battery ran down to 0%. Then I found a something to try... Charge my Galaxy Gear back up with my laptop and use of USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy S4. I plugged my USB cable into my cradle and laptop and eventually my Galaxy Gear started charging again.

I did not think about using this before as I had to bring one of my phones back this way too.... Share this information with others that have an issue with their Galaxy Gear not charging with their charger.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

https://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/73-12530-50200/gear1_2_prod_1_sm.jpg

You can choose the link for your Samsung phone to purchase or learn more about the Samsung Gear Fit.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Samsung Galaxy Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy Mega

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini

The Samsung Gear Fit was designed to comfortably contour to consumers’ wrists while offering a vivid Super AMOLED display. It provides much more than an everyday fitness band, keeping consumers up to date instant notifications from Galaxy smartphones such as incoming calls, emails, SMS, alarm, S-planner, 3rd party apps while consumers are on the move so they can stay connected. Changeable straps in Black, Orange and Mocha Grey will let users express their individual style, changing the look of the Gear Fit to match their outfit or mood for any type of activity.

The sleek new Samsung Gear Fit provides the superior connectivity benefits of Samsung wearable technology with a custom, real time fitness coaching to provide unique, personalized advice and workout recommendations.

0 Comments

Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 Neof

You can choose the link for your Samsung phone to purchase or learn more about the Samsung Gear 2 Neo.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Samsung Galaxy Mega

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini

Samsung Galaxy S3

Personal connectivity has an all-new personality - yours. The revolutionary capabilities of the new Samsung Gear Neo are stylishly wrapped in new interchangeable bands.

Hands-free phone calls. Seamless replies to messages. Music stored right on the device. Like no other device before, the Gear Neo is the bold face of mobile freedom.

Function has never been more fashionable. A bright 1.63'' Super AMOLED® display. A sleek new home button. The meticulous design of the Gear Neo paired with your favorite interchangeable band will make it the perfect match for any outfit or occasion.

Keep the distractions at arm's length. Use the simplified interface with Voice Command to make hands-free calls, check email and respond to texts. Now you can be in touch and in control.

Keep your music and leave your phone. The Gear Neo comes with a stand-alone 4GB music player so you can store your favorite songs and playlists right on the device. That’s one less thing to carry - music to anyone’s ears.

0 Comments

http://shop.sprint.com/catalog/images/accessories/samsung/samsung_gear_2/samsung_galaxy/charcoal_black/accessory_180x160_a.gif

You can choose the link for your Samsung phone to purchase or learn more about the Samsung Gear 2.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Samsung Galaxy Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy Mega

Samsung Galaxy s4 mini

The revolutionary capabilities of the new Samsung Gear™ 2 are stylishly wrapped in new interchangeable bands. Hands-free phone calls. Seamless replies to messages. Music stored right on the device, and integrated camera. Like no other device before, the Gear 2 is the bold face of mobile freedom.

A bright 1.63" Super AMOLED® display. A sleek new home button. The meticulous design of the Gear 2 paired with your favorite interchangeable band will make it the perfect match for any outfit or occasion.

Keep the distractions at arm's length. Use the simplified interface with Voice Command to make hands-free calls, check email and respond to texts. Now you can be in touch and in control.

Keep your music and leave your phone. The Gear 2 comes with a stand-alone 4GB music player so you can store your favorite songs and playlists right on the device. That's one less thing to carry - music to anyone’s ears.

The days of digging through your couch cushions are over. Use WatchON to control your TV right from your wrist. It’s all thanks to the IR blaster built right into the device. More than ever, your entertainment is truly on-demand.

Capture the moment quicker than ever with the 2MP camera on the Gear 2.* Now you can snap and save your favorite shots, all while keeping your smartphone at your side. It's a camera experience that's picture-perfect.

IP67 certified: Dustproof and water-resistant, the Gear 2 is made for action. Wear it on your bike ride. Take it to the beach. Whether you're heading in for a meeting or out for some fun, the Gear 2 is prepared for anything.

Put your best self forward. Track your steps. Give your heart some love with its built-in heart monitor that responds to your touch. The Gear 2 will help you feel as good as it looks.

What good is a wearable if it can't keep up with you? That's why the Gear 2 was designed to run up to three full days on a single charge. No matter where you are or what you're doing, as long as you have energy, so will it.

0 Comments

....And it feels so good!!

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an original Galaxy Gear for about a week when it first came out. During that time, I fell in love with having my emails, texts, calls and notes attached to my wrist. After that week however, I returned the device and went back to the archaic movements of picking up my phone to check my notifications.

Now I can rejoice! I am again reunited with the original Galaxy Gear, and while there seem to have been MAJOR improvements to the notifications system, it all feels so natural and familiar. I’ve started to create watch faces with the app watch styler and I’m very excited to have my grocery list on my wrist through the evernote app!

The improvements I’ve noticed so far include the fluidity of the UI and the expansion of notifications. There are also a lot more apps to choose from since the launch of this device. I’m also looking forward to the release of the Tizen update. If you haven’t heard about Tizen by now, check out this Link!

0 Comments

One of my favorite features of the latest smart-watches from Samsung is the integrated fitness equipment wrapped up in the Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, & Gear Fit. Not only are you going to have the ability to check/read/reply to emails and text but NOW! you can use the Gear 2 as a standalone

music player. There is no audio jack so it would require a bluetooth headset to get the best quality of music vs the tiny speaker on the Gear 2. Where this really comes in handy is when you are heading off to

GYM.PNG

and usually these are the extras that you are hauling around while you are at the gym

towel.PNG S5.PNG

I can't tell you how many times I would start walking way from equipment and have to turn around and go back and grab one of the three things above and here is where I think that the Gear 2

is ingenious as it functions as standalone music player and has 4 gigs of memory to copy music over to (to learn how visit the "How To Guide" from Samsung)

Standalone Music.PNG

If you are like me getting notifications while on the treadmill or exercise equipment can be a distraction and sometimes throw you out of the "zone" but with the standalone feature on the Gear 2 you are

free to leave your device in your vehicle or locker. Its great that the Gear 2 will have all your fitness features and now the ability to play music. I don't have a bluetooth headset but I did pair the Gear 2 to my

Harman/Kardon Onyx Speaker and copied some music over to the Gear and it worked like a champ I left my phone on the charger and used the music that I copied to the Gear and went about my business.

This is a solid idea and feature and I hope that more wearable devices offer this type of capability.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices/services and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices/services, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Hi Everyone

I had so much fun color matching my Samsung Gear Fit with my cloths at work, that I thought I would share with you all =)

I like to wear a lot of bright colors and can appreciate a device that can keep with me!  Enjoy my color combos!

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices/services and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices/services, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Hello Everyone

I thought it would be fun to do something a bit out of the box!  Enjoy my Fashion Meets Tech Video blog!

0 Comments

GearFitBlk_600x600_xlarge_wd.jpg

Samsung's Gear Fit helps it's users track their steps, heart rate and sleep activity.  IN addition, the accessory also brings your notifications straight to your wrist via Bluetooth.  It's light and comfortable to wear and has an amazing touch screen.  These are all features that you're likely to hear about via ads and product reviews, however There are some lesser advertised features that can really enhance the user experience as well.  Here are three of them...

Find My Device

We take our smartphones everywhere these days and sometimes we just forget where we left them last.  If you lose your device around the house, the Find my device feature will come in handy.  Simply find the feature by swiping through the menu options then select Find My Device, then select the green magnifying glass and your Galaxy device will start ringing so that you can find it.  It's that easy.

GearFit_findmydevice.jpg

Media Controller

Many people prefer to listen to music while jogging.  Even if you've created the ultimate playlist, there are times when you may need to skip a track or maybe you enjoyed a track so much that you want to hear it again.  Media Controller allows you to play/pause, skip forward or go back to the previous track...all from your wrist.  I've used it with Spotify, Google Play Music, Milk Music and the stock Music player and it works flawlessly.

GearFit_mediacontroller2.jpg

Auto unlock

If you're someone that wants/needs to have your device secured from unwanted eyes, setting up a password or pattern unlock is the best way to do so. While a password may be the most practical solution, it can get a little annoying having to enter it over and over again each time you want to use your device.  The Gear Fit pairs wirelessly with your Galaxy device and as long as you're within Bluetooth range you don't need to enter a password or pattern to unlock your device.  All you need to do is enable the feature via the Gear Fit Manager settings.

Screenshot_2014-06-06-10-07-01.png

Until next time,

Dre

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

I'll be honest, when I first received the GEAR Fit I really wasn't sure I was going to like it. I have a collection of watches at home and, usually, prefer a large face watch. When I received the GF I really wasn't sure

what to think about it as it is definitely out of the norm for what I'm used to wearing. However, the last 4wks of using the GEAR Fit have really changed my mind. I love the fact that it's paired with my S Health app on the GS5

and with that having my steps counted on the lock screen as well as really making an effort to better my overall health. Its strange to say but I still get pretty excited when I receive my medal for the goals I've set. I also really

appreciate that this device is water resistant as well as I tend to wear a watch and the GEAR Fit 24/7/365 (except for the short charging times) and I've got no trouble with getting it wet. Granted I wouldn't go swimming with it

nor diving with it but still nice to know that a little water won't hurt.

Personalized Fitness Manager.PNG24_7.PNG

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee."

0 Comments

This was one thing that i just had a blast with. The customizing of the watch. You can change anything from the band, to the homescreen. The backgrounds for the homescreen are very cool, vibrant colors and patterns. The clocks just look great. You can also download more through the Play store (These will cost money normally about .99 - 1.99). You do have the ability to put your own customer background on there if you wish, but due to the screen size you may have to mess with the picture a little bit before you download it.

There are 2 ways to change the background, either through the watch settings, or through your Samsung device in the Galaxy Fit Device Manager. I personally like doing it through the device manager since it is easier to navigate, Etc. Plus if you want to do a custom you would need to go through the manager anyway.

The bands are sold seperately as well, but they have plenty of color options to match your outfit (If you like to match)

All in all, I had fun with this part of the device, and still switch things up regularly.

Follow me for more reviews on many devices.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/download/image/gear-fit-watch-faces.jpg

Samsung is currently leading the smartwatch arena, with 4 models already launched and having decent sales. Depending on who you talk to, some people love it, others not so much. I happen to be in the loving camp. These devices sure make your user overall galaxy experience a bit better. Samsung is constantly enhancing their vision of the smartwatch and keep enabling new features, e.g. heart rate monitoring in their 2014 lineup of devices.

But besides showing notifications and tracking your fitness, I find smartwatches mainly useful as a.... WATCH!

I love watches, and this smartwatch concept is allowing me to wear almost a new watch everyday. Granted the exterior design is the same, but I enjoy the flexibily of changing the watch faces as easily as a few clicks on the phone or the watch. Below is the list of all the watch faces standard with the Gear Fit:

Screenshot_2014-06-01-21-08-52_resized.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-21-08-58_resized.pngScreenshot_2014-06-01-21-09-03_resized.png

Unlike the Gear 1 and Gear 2, the Gear Fit does not have the ability to add more faces due to the nature of the device and the OS, but it comes with a sizeable variety that still allows me to keep things different. My litmus test was when my wife told me she has her eye on the watch and cant wait to have one for herself.

I hope the owners enjoy this feature as well as many others on the device. Those still in limbo, another reason to consider it.

0 Comments

Capture.JPG

Two weekends ago, I took my daughters to Great Wolf Lodge for some fun. The place was loads of fun and my 4 year old daughter had a blast with the MagiQuest.

20140508_171751.jpg

MagiQuest is an interactive live-action, role playing game where players embark on quests and adventures in an enchanted fantasy world. The game required us to go from floor 1 all the way up to floor 8 looking for clues to beat the red dragon. Some of the quests were in the stairwell so that becomes a problem after awhile with an 18 month old. Emma was ready for bed and only wanted daddy. I took her back to our room and turned off all the lights since she will not sleep with any lights on. No lights on in a hotel room can be a problem when big sister and mommy return to a dark room....dark_room.jpg

Hotel rooms are generally dark to help you sleep while traveling and our Kid Camp room was very dark. Emma fell fast asleep as I laid there checking email and reviewing pictures after she had fallen asleep. Before long, I heard the door open and I was afraid my wife or Katie would turn on the light. Before they could turn on a light, I raised my arm to activate my Samsung Gear Fit. It provided more than enough light for both of them so that they would not have to turn on a light and wake up Emma.

Now, I have another use for my Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit, especially when I am traveling. I will be able to use the Pedometer to see how many steps I took, Heart Rate to check how I am while working out, Sleep app to monitor my sleeping and now as a flashlight.

IMAG0064.jpgIMAG0068.jpg

Here are a few examples of my Samsung Gear Fit in a dark room...

My wife and I were very glad that my Gear Fit was able to light up the room and not wake up the little one. I wear my Gear Fit every night to bed now and it has come in handy. When I have to get up at night, I don't have to worry about stumbling on something as I can use my Samsung Gear Fit as a mini flashlight!

Thanks for reading my blog

Blue

0 Comments

FitBandsSamsung.jpg

image credit: Samsung.com

I will admit I'm having a fit over the Fit.

It's not the Gear Fit that disappoints. It's the lack of promised Fit bands that is giving me fits. The Gear Fit, along with the Galaxy Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo, launched on April 11. It's now six weeks later and still no accessory bands, as promised (and still promoted on Samsung's website).

I had an original Galaxy Gear from last year. I loved it. Customers loved. Tech enthusiasts loved it. Except for the band. It was locked to the device. Everyone clamored for a changeable band. Samsung listened and delivered. At least in theory.

I really want a few different color bands to go with my Gear Fit. Samsung... I'm getting restless! Hurry up! How long can it take to make rubberized bands?

As of today, the best I can do is order an OEM Samsung Gear Fit band direct from a Korean supplier via eBay. Delivery is "promised" to be anywhere from June 7 to June 20 depending on air freight and customs. Sigh. Hopefully we will have Gear Fit bands in stock in our Sprint retail stores before then.

0 Comments

Here is some of the apps listed on XDA that you can use for your Gear Fit.

Gear fit calendar.pngcal2.pngcal3.png

Gear Fit Calendar

Description

This application is a simple Calendar for Samsung Gear Fit. You can view your calendar by monthly, weekly and daily.

It is synchronized with Calendar in the mobile device so you can see all the events in your Gear Fit. You can also edit event reminder and even quickly add an event from you Gear Fit by simple available templates.

**Note : This application only works on Samsung devices which have Gear Fit Manager.

NR1.pngNR.pngNR3.jpg

News Republic for Gear Fit

Description

News Republic for Gear Fit is the companion app to NEWS REPUBLIC – The definitive news app with an elegant design, unrivaled news coverage and a simple, delightful interface optimized for all smartphones and tablets.

News Republic for Gear Fit allows you to:

Read the news titles on your Samsung Gear Fit including correctly formatted images

Custom topics sync with News Republic on your Samsung Smartphone. Select from over one million unique topics.

Swipe between articles, over 10,000 published daily.

More about News Republic for smartphone and tablets:

- Visual: Get of all latest news from your favorite topics in a highly visual format.

- Smart: News Republic learns what you like and personalizes your news experience automatically.

- Complete: Enjoy complete articles with photos and videos from trusted sources – no RSS feeds!

- Personal: Choose only the topics that are of interest to you, and personalize your home screen.

- In-depth: Explore related topics via Tag Nav™, our innovative news navigation system.

FL.png

Gear Fit Flashlight

Description

Flashlight app for your Gear Fit! Turn your Gear Fit into a color flashlight. 

Full List Here:

Apps from GP for Gear Fit

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Although the Gear fit does not have the ability to have a full keyboard, voice command, Etc. for texting it does have one great feature for texting that I use alot. "Quick Reply"

With Quick reply you can still send messages from your Gear fit quickly and easily. All you have to do is go to your Gear Fit Manager from your Galaxy device, go to Settings, Edit Text Templates, and then click Add. I have about 20 replies right now for basic stuff. Like "Yes", "No", "Ill text you in a bit" and for my spouse, I have stuff like "I love you", "Hope your having a good day", "Hows your day?" Etc.

When you are busy, in a meeting, Etc. its a great quick way to stay in touch, but not get into an in depth conversation. So no more messages saying "Why dont you answer me?", "Are you there", Etc. You can now answer at any time quickly without a huge distraction of pulling out your phone, typing, or anything like that. Quick response has been great and I will continue to use it!

Your Product Ambassador Team!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

The most compelling reason to spend money on a fitness device or "wearable" is to help with your diet and exercise plans. The whole idea behind a fitness wearable is tracking your movement so you're not "Guesstimating" or vague-logging. However, if the wearable isn't reasonably accurate then you might as well go back to vague-logging and keep the extra dough in your wallet.

There have been several posts on tech media sites about the Gear Fit since its introduction. Most of them are positive. Some of them are negative, mostly about the perceived accuracy. And by accuracy I'm referring to how the Gear Fit counts steps as a pedometer and measures activity as a fitness monitor. I decided to do my own, non-scientific testing.

I made up two tests:

1. Outdoor walk of a known route that's been measured many times by different devices and technologies.
  2. Indoor walk on a high quality treadmill that measures distance.

Test one: Walking a known path outdoors. I used an Android device and Endomondo Pro to track my well-worn path to exactly 2.00 miles. I put the Gear Fit wearable into Exercise mode, set to Walking and started. At the end of my walk the Gear Fit registered 2.02 miles, which is +/- 1% variance. Plus, with my pre-populated profile data (gender, height, weight) it gave me a reasonably close proximity of calorie burn, as compared to MyFitnessPal with the same bio information.

IMAG0006_ws.jpg

Test two: Walking on a high quality treadmill to exactly 2.0 miles. I used the treadmill's readout to measure my distance which is based on a known length of tread and how many revolutions are made, and nothing to do with my body dimensions. Stopping at exactly 2.0 miles my Gear Fit read 2.02 miles walked. Again, this is +/- 1% variance and a good comparison against outdoor use.

Some media reviews have negatively reviewed the Gear Fit's pedometer settings and claim they are "wildly inaccurate." My experience is quite the opposite. I am finding the pedometer reading to be reasonably close. By reasonably close I really mean, in the grand scheme of things, when I set a pedometer goal to 10,000 steps a day, and if the pedometer is 2%, 3% or even as much as 5% off, then it's, as they say about hand grenades, close enough. We're talking about a potential difference of 200 - 500 steps for a 10,000 step/day goal. I think if I'm walking between 9,500 - 10,500 steps per day that meets the goals that I have for myself and using a fitness wearable.

As an added bonus, you can monitor your heart rate in real time while you're in Exercise mode without having to wear a cumbersome chest strap. Bonus!

I hope you found this info and review helpful. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

I love the marketing job done on the gear fit.  It has so many aspects and different uses it can accomplish it's hard to simply contain them all in a video.  Samsung does a great job of it.  In these 4 videos they show off their uses and actual real world circumstances.  I could sit here and go through my day and tell you how I use it and how it has changed my outlook on exercise.  But I won't bore you I will just show you through Samsung's videos.

Fitness - Samsung Gear Fit Official Video - YouTube

Samsung GALAXY S5, Gear 2, Gear Fit - Official Outdoor Commercial (Fantasy) - YouTube

Samsung Gear Fit - Official TVC - YouTube

Samsung Gear Fit - Official TVC (Design) - YouTube

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

Every year Sprint has an employee "Get-Fit" challenge and in previous years we could get a pedometer that just clips onto your belt. One of the things I  noticed about it is that you could hear it "click" each time you took a step

(it wasn't super loud but if you were walking alone you could hear it). What I was hearing was a pendulum swinging and making contact which would register a "step" however with those you have to wear them a certain way or they don't work

right and sometimes when running it would register two steps instead of one.

How does that saying go "necessity is the mother of invention".

With our culture getting more and more into the mindset of the importance of fitness there would have to be a better way to more accurately track your movement and get very accurate information on tracking your fitness goals and progress and a pendulum swing

just won't cut it.

Below is a brief article I found on an accelerometer and how it's used to more accurately track your steps and one of the main benefits of having a device that uses an accelerometer is that it doesn't matter where it's oriented on your persons. I've even tested this with my

Galaxy Gear Fit that I'll launch the pedometer and put my arm in front of my chest, as if I were looking at my watch holding my arm horizontal, and you can watch the step counter go up and properly count your movement.

What’s an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is like a Pedometer 2.0. Instead of using that old-fashioned little mechanical arm to detect force and calculate movement,

an accelerometer measures force using the properties of microelectromechanical engineering. Engineers can measure and convert an itsy-bitsy

nanosized movement into something called METS, which stands for metabolic equivalent. METS is like horsepower, but for humans instead of cars.

It’s basically the intensity of your activity. So here’s what happens: an accelerometer uses capacitive sensing to measure microelectromechanical

movement and track the force of your motion. An engineer writes a computer program then converts your force into a MET score. And because scientists

know the MET of common activities like walking (a normal walking pace is 4.0 METs), we can figure out how many steps you took.

This method is a whole lot more precise than a swinging pendulum arm. It’s also more reliable because most accelerometers (including Zamzee)

measure force along three axises. So even if you wear your accelerometer sensor upside down, sideways or backwards, it still accurately tracks

the force you exerted moving from Point A to Point B.

Source

Another great article on it as well

HowStuffWorks