cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALARM PROBLEMS... SERIOUSLY? ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ALARM PROBLEMS... SERIOUSLY? ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS?

1. I have been having an issue with my alarms locking up my phone. when in locked mode, when my alarms go off and I use the slider to snooze or shut off, i can't unlock my phone or power cycle it for at least a full minute. it will allow me to see my wallpaper for a second, but i can't unlock or power cycle the phone. if the phone is unlocked, the alarms work fine. I have had this happen with this new firmware as well as with the last firmware.i have done 2 resets,which is ridiculous by the way,and the problem comes back in a few days. 2. random alarms go off at midnight on my phone. i have no calendar alerts or alarms set for midnight. what's going on with this thing? alarms are like the simplest technology ever. I could program a freakin' alarm. c'mon sprint. get it together will ya.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

This is a serious problem, by the way. if i'm on the road...

This is a serious problem, by the way. if i'm on the road, this should be the only alarm i should need to bring. if i actually want it to wake me for work, i'm really screwed. i am really fed up with this phone. nothing works right. nothing.

Journeyman

Re: ALARM PROBLEMS... SERIOUSLY? ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS?

Nope, haven't encountered this one yet. The Alarm / Clock, Calculator are the only things I have yet to have a problem with. Clock and Calc are so basic that if there was a problem with them, I would just lose all hope Smiley Happy

I have a Mon-Fri alarm set for 7am and I snooze it on a daily basis.

Journeyman

well, it's happened after 3 different phone resets for me...

well, it's happened after 3 different phone resets for me. it will hit yours soon. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the calculator is now the only thing that works, but so has my 30 year old texas instruments calculator with the red bubble LED and the printer tape. not laughing, by the way.

Journeyman

I haven't seen the problems you're describing, but I have 5 alarms set on my phone, 3 of them for weekday mornings set about 25 minutes apart so I can snooze/shut them off. I'll start trying to unlock and power cycling to see if I run into it also.

And considering the 2 point decimal precision on the calculator that we all know about... i'd say it's a poor example of something that actually works right on the Instinct. Smiley Very Happy

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>dole wrote:<br><p>And considering the 2 point decimal precision on the calculator that we all know about... i'd say it's a poor example of something that actually works right on the Instinct. Smiley Very Happy</p><hr></blockquote><p></p><p>hehe true, but out of 3 Instincts, I have yet to see the calculator crash. I've never had it exit, freeze, reset or lock up and crash my phone, so by that, I say it as an app, it's the most stable.</p><p></p><p>I always set up my Mon-Fri morning alarm, but every now and then add in a new one if I decide to take a nap and need to wake up at a certain time. So far, the Alarm has been pretty reliable. That's been true for all 3 Instincts.</p>

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>dole wrote:<br><p></p><p></p><p>And considering the 2 point decimal precision on the calculator that we all know about... i'd say it's a poor example of something that actually works right on the Instinct. Smiley Very Happy</p><hr></blockquote><p>Here's something really interesting for everyone to try on the Calculator, which shows how truly bad it is tohave only 2 decimal points of precision:</p><p></p><p>Switch to Unit Converter mode.</p><p>EnterWeight for the units.</p><p>Convert from lb to oz.</p><p>Enter 1 lb.</p><p>Result is 16 oz. CORRECT!</p><p>Now convert the opposite way (oz. to lb.)</p><p>Enter 16 oz.</p><p>Result is 1.04lb. WHAT????</p><p></p><p>So not only are 2 decimal points displayed, but only 2 decimal places are used in intermediate calculations as well. Ugggghhhh!</p><p></p>

Journeyman

I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to me. My alarm actually does not have any issues itself, but when I either slide the bar to "Snooze" or "Shut Off" (or whatever the other option is) my phone does not let me come off lock mode for at least a good minute or two. I can hold down the Power button, tap the power button, I can try and shut off the phone but the closest I get to unlocking the phone is briefly being able to see the wallpaper.

After about a minute or two the phone will flash on and off switching between nothing and the wallpaper as it tries to catch up with all the power button pushing I made previously. Finally the phone will let me turn on. This usually results in making me want to throw the phone against the wall.

Have you found a fix for this problem yet?

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>MarkBugs wrote:<br><blockquote><hr>dole wrote:<br><p></p><p></p><p>And considering the 2 point decimal precision on the calculator that we all know about... i'd say it's a poor example of something that actually works right on the Instinct. Smiley Very Happy</p><hr></blockquote><p>Here's something really interesting for everyone to try on the Calculator, which shows how truly bad it is to have only 2 decimal points of precision:</p><p></p><p>Switch to Unit Converter mode.</p><p>Enter Weight for the units.</p><p>Convert from lb to oz.</p><p>Enter 1 lb.</p><p>Result is 16 oz. CORRECT!</p><p>Now convert the opposite way (oz. to lb.)</p><p>Enter 16 oz.</p><p>Result is 1.04 lb. WHAT????</p><p></p><p>So not only are 2 decimal points displayed, but only 2 decimal places are used in intermediate calculations as well. Ugggghhhh!</p><p></p><hr></blockquote><p></p><p>In the words of Barbie, "Math is hard! giggles"

Ridiculous. It shouldn't be surprising, but it is.

I did try unlocking it this morning right after turning the alarm off, and didn't have any problems. I could, of course, just set it now and try it, but... real world testing... stretches

We'll see if it happens with my replacement Instinct. I went to the Sprint store last night to report that apps have been crashing and the phone's been locking up in various apps, the tech checked it for 5 minutes and gave it back, saying that I can pick up my replacement Instinct in three days because they couldn't find anything definitive (of course). On the road to getting rid of the Instinct and moving up. The GF got her Diamond a few days ago, and... now I can't wait to get rid of the Instinct.

Message Edited by dole on 10-09-2008 09:24 AM

Journeyman

OK... keeping this on topic, I have not come up with a wo...

OK... keeping this on topic, I have not come up with a workaround and, trust me, I have tried almost everything short of taking the darn battery out. SO, that's at least two of us having the exact same issue which means it's not just a fluke. Will... could you forward this on to dev? This is a REALLY ridiculous issue. PRETTY PLEASE... thanks in advance.

Journeyman

Re: OK... keeping this on topic, I have not come up with a wo...

Maybe your phone is defective. Do u have insurance? If so maybe sprint will swap it for a new one. When word spread that you couldnt type "microbrew" or "townhouses" i walked in to sprint to try it out on their displays to make sure it wasnt just mine. If you know anyone personally you should try the alarm on theirs if not play with the displays at the stores. But since many of us have no issues with alarm it could very well be you have a defective unit.

Journeyman

Re: OK... keeping this on topic, I have not come up with a wo...

LOL... Sprint tech people on the phone had me take my phone back for exchange a total of 3 times for various issues, which were all later found to be SOFTWARE problems. In other words, it's likely very few of the issues peoplehave are hardware related. It's just easier for Sprint to tell you to exchange it, rather than to take your issues seriously enough to investigate.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat