cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Store? Negative and Positives

Highlighted
Journeyman

App Store? Negative and Positives

This is just a thought regarding the mangled subject of App Store. Right now as we all know, the Instinct does not have an App Store. Some people think that an App Store will be the greatest thing ever!! They only think about the positives, but aren't there some major negatives to be associated with an Instinct dedicated App Store? For Instance, wouldn't an App Store mean that Instinct would have to be locked from third parties not officially registered with Sprint? As of right now, Instinct is not locked from anyone developing apps for it. If its Java and it works you can download with no restrictions to Instinct. Correct me if I'm wrong but Iphone is "locked" from third parties not signed with Apple Correct? Also, do you really want Sprint, a company that you bash online everyday in control of what apps you can or cant put on your phone? I actually think Sprint has the right idea by leaving the phone open to developers, there is theoretical freedom in the concept. Developers would simply need an incentive to develop for the phone...I thought the App contest was a good idea, I dont know what happened with it but it obvioulsy didn't work. I look forward to seeing if Sprint can come up with an App solution without locking the phone to only Sprint approved developers.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: App Store? Negative and Positives

@Sphinx wrote:

As of right now, Instinct is not locked from anyone developing apps for it. If its Java and it works you can download with no restrictions to Instinct. Correct me if I'm wrong but Iphone is "locked" from third parties not signed with Apple Correct?

Apps need to be signed with a sprint-controlled certificate to do anything useful. You can permit an unsigned app to access the network, but not the filesystem, GPS hardware, or to run in the background. Even though you paid for the phone, you don't get to control it.

Journeyman

Re: App Store? Negative and Positives

The developers look at the return on their time and investment, and see that for the iPhone they can write really powerful apps and thereis like 10 (100?) times the customer base as compared to the Instinct, where you can't do compiled native code, anything halfway slick is non-portable, and most of the features require paying $5K/yr for the developer program.

Running through BREW, the CPU is barely adequate to do ports of '80s games, and the API is really restrictive.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat