We're looking for feedback about the Instinct HD to help determine what to include in the sconded maintenace release (MR-2) due out early 2010. Just respond to this thread and we'll the collect and analyze your responses.
I can't guarantee that everything posted here will be fixed in MR-2., but let's start the list and see how it goes.
MR-1 is tentatively scheduled for mid-October and will fix the battery indicator error. I will post a full list of the fixes once I have them.
I hope you don't mind I posted the link to this thread on Sprintusers and Instinct-Samsung for those that aren't already on here. I hope that anyone posting here has the phone an has feedback on actual issues and don't want to whine about the original or S30 issues. Please keep it to constructive posts.
Thank you for making sure the battery icon is top priority. I alos look forward to what else may be included as I plan on getting this phone tomorrow!
I know that you've seen all of the issues and complaints about the original M800 and M810. Hence your reference about the whining. So you know that there is a history with the Instinct development team either taking forever to fix issues, their fixes actually breaking other things or their outright not fixing things requested.
This phone has been out like a day and has serious issues with the battery. Why rush out tomorrow and grab it? Why not wait a week or so and see if the dev guys actually manage to get this fixed and that other issues aren't cropping up?
I'd hate to see a fellow Instinctonian hit with this right out of the box.
To be honest the only issue I had with my Original instinct was the music limit error. Nothing else. I thought the S30 was a downgrade personally. To keep this post on topic and helpful I will only reply that this is meant to be a constructive thread specifically for HD feedback. Other threads have been clouded by Instinctonians(I like that by the way) who are not open to the possibility of this phone being different and development being different. I hate that others had the issues they did. I plan on getting this phone tomorrow though as I feel this has everything I want in my Instinct.
To get back on topic a few posts on other forums have mentioned OWA access not working correctly as well as wi-fi connectivity issues. Primarily at home from my understanding but not sure of network settings and what not. So..
In no specific order:
1. Battery issues Fixed with MR-1
2. OWA(two reported cases I could find) No response from those having issues. Assuming they fixed or gave up. Know of one succesful setup no issues so far
3. Wi-FI connectivity (WiFi signal strength is missing a "-" in front of it. People are taking it as an absolute number (70 > 40 means 70 is stronger) but actually 70 is weaker, so the signal units are probably -dBm.) Fixed by MR-1
4. Customize ringtones for messages vs alarm vs calls vs voicemail.
5. Several reported cases of random phone resets and unstability. Fixed with MR-1
6. Lag between screens
7. Twitter not loading(Facebook and Myspace also reported to run slowly) Twitter fixed with MR-1. No confirmation yet of Facebook or Myspace.
8. Portrait Keyboard (prefer t9 style set up or atleast switch to qwerty)
9. Auto correct when typing is inconsistent (will not remain on)
10. Sensitivity of the BACK HOME and PHONE buttons.
11. Favorites - why do they disappear. Messaging and email when placed on the Favorites screen will disappear after a while.
12. Slide to Unlock - why does it hesitate before unlocking the phone?
13. Radio/TV - too frequently there is a message that says sorry, this Favorite is no longer available even thought I am trying to open it from the Fun page on the phone. Repeated tries finally result in the media opening.
14. Bluetooth - Volume is loud when the phone is ringing and then it drops significantly when the call is answered. This also happened on the original Instinct until an update fixed it.
15. Gestures - They don't work. My phone does not silence when I turn it upside down. Also the ability to switch screens from sliding the screen side to side (similar to the iphone and palm pre among others) Factory gestures are working.
16. Accelerometer - Doesn't always respond quickly and sometimes it doesn't respond at all. Perhaps this is tied to battery life and will improve when the battery problem is resolved.Battery life affects responsiveness and MR-1 fixed the battery indicator.
17. Phone lock for calls - I have no problem with this during calls but when I try to get my voicemail, more often and not the screen does not lock and I end up hitting the stop button and it take many tries to listen to one message.
18. Calibration - Why does this phone not have a calibration feature? It seems that one is needed for the keyboard and the menus. The longer I use this phone the less accurate my touches seem to be.
19. QCELP audio files do not play using Sprint extensions in third-party apps. Since QCELP was the only way for unsigned apps to play audio on the M800 and S30, that makes cross-Instinct compatibility very difficult.
20. Network throughput on the HD appears to be considerably lower than the M800 and S30. In side-by-side comparisons loading the same data from an application, the HD takes several times longer or times out, while the M800 always completes the transfer. This may have to do with Sprint network setup, since the two phones appear to use different proxy servers.
21. Extended character support in the built-in fonts is less on the HD than on the M800 and S30. Eastern European characters and common symbols like "TM" are present on the M800 and S30 but are missing on the HD.
22. Memory issue. The phone has internal memory of 100MB. When looking in settings the available memory is varying from 0.4 to 0.5 and only shows very little used. Some phones seemed to just have this issue unless MR-1 had this included and it wasn't mentioned.
23. Zoom function is not friendly and needs to be corrected. hopefully using the volume key or multi touch feature on other capacitive screens.
24. Music player not working correctly. "Maximum number of songs exceeded. Limit is 26. Please remove some songs and restart the application." Has a big red circle with a white bar in the middle like at a railroad crossing.
25. Opera mobile - When you save something, why can you not choose which folder you save it in? It defaults to a "browser" folder that I have yet to find a way to access from the phone.(??)
26. Why was the hard key blink message notification not carried over from the original? Could it be incorporated in an update?
27. a better keyboard layout, with the buttons separated.
28. Better customization of the icons and main screen " i would have like to seen the icons and main screen freshened up a bit. have some cooler looking icons instead of the same ole drab ones we have now.
29. Audio on NFL app not coming through. (Already forwarded to app developers)
30. Unable to Voicedial out on Bluetooth without the phone on a certain screen. (safer to be able to initiate voicedial via bluetooth from any screen when the phone is locked.)
31. Loading time for the phone when turning on seems to be longer thatn normal. Can this be improved upon.
32. Can the email app be made to incorporate subfolders and sync with those. this would be great. This was also a request from the M800 that nothing was ever found out on.
33. Response to the touchscreen is still not as responsive as it should be. Seems to respond better when in hand then on hard surface.
34. Can more apps be allowed to run in the background and restore from the last action. (how badly would this tie up the ram?)
36. Favs menu should also have ability to switch to icon view instead of being locked in list view.
37. All apps should utilize the accelerometer function to re-orient themselves. It's really annoying switching between apps which support this, to those which don't. ( I believe this is up to the developers to incorporate the API's for the accelerometer)
38. This one's a bit more involved, but it would be nice if certain apps were not mutually exclusive. The ability to have text messaging, email, web, and navigation up at the same time and while using the phone or music player would be great. ( I know that with the M800 it was possible to use texting while on the phone but not data services like email or web as well as navigation would go back whena message or call was received.)
39. There is a substantial lag when unlocking the phone whether with slide to unlock or holding the power button.
40. Lag in Opera Mobile when moving the around on the page.
41. Sprint Tv/Radio is still asking if you are still viewing or listening to the phone and will cut off if you dont respond.
42. What happened to the RSS Reader? Also would it not be possible to have an RSS reader app that can be added to the Web Tab?
43. In list mode on the web tab the feeds that scroll with updates are not consistently updating as reported by different users.
Posted by Teammate on page 6:
Client-Initiated: Select Main -> Settings -> General -> Update Software
Notes: HD firmware CI24 includes the resolution of 40 tickets open since the previous public firmware release, CH26 including:
· White bar intermittently appears on NFL/NASCAR application carousel
· Sluggish behavior at times when running Twitter via the Fun tab
· Twitter lockups while attempting to upload a picture.
· Sluggish response when deleting Weather or Stock content from Bloomberg
· When launching Live Search the Web tab menu will display again before the application launches
· Voice Recognition by Nuance and Live Search may launch simultaneously
· Delay when launching Music Player if SD Card contains 1000+ songs
· Music Starts playing on its own
· Renaming Music Playlist assigns playlist to Favs tab
· Music Store - WebSync for existing songs purchased in Sprint Music Store took nearly 12 hours to download 151 songs
· Battery indicator not consistent
· Improve Nuance Voice Recognition
· Volume of music played through headset not loud enough
· Tickets logged with Samsung as of Oct 8 on all user forum issues.
· New tickets will be logged as they are reported on the forum.
· Targeting December 2009 for MR2 availability. This date is subject to change without any prior notification.
Thru page EIGHTn so far.
A side note Pandora is able to be loaded on the phone but needs some tweeking. Can sprint contact Pandora to make these tweeks. In contacting them as customers they say they have no intentions to develop for non smart phone platforms but this is a much wanted app.
Also requests for Loopt...
Anything else yet anyone?
Great stuff guys keep it coming. Sarah I hope this helps you guys to track the feedback. Teammate thank you as well for keeping us in the loop!
I am gonna try to work this weekend on Splitting this into feedback on issues with the phones and requests for features in coming MR updates.
I would like to have the ability to use custom ringtones (ie. using an mp3 from my card).
I would like the ability to contol the volume of the different ringers, I really dont like having everything at the same level. (Ie. having messaging only on vibrate, the calls on level 3, etc).
i would like to see a voice recording app (not really a glitch, but it would be a nice thing to have.
Thats all I can think of right now.
In regards to the voice recording that would be great. Right now the only thing close I believe if this holds true to visual voicemail is to hit the plus sign when in the vocicemail screen and record a voice message and you can designate where to send it. Not sure if this helps. I believe there is also a requested apps thread but can't remember what forum it may be on. Perhaps we can start one in the appropriate section here...
So far I'm really loving this phone. Here are the problems I've encountered:
1) I was placing an outgoing call and the second after I pushed talk I received an incoming call. The phone froze up and emedietly restarted.
2)The phone powered down and restarted twice on me today for no apparent reason!
Message was edited by: sgold11
Message was edited by: sgold11
The wifi connection going from blue to orange/red consistantly, or just not picking up wifi is a problem people are having. Ability to download ringers via text through Opera Mobile is another problem.
Whoa latinmaxima, are you saying the HD doesn't have OWA? If this is the case then I am on board with this being a major issue. The original Instinct has OWA and Work Calender so that has got to be an available feature on the HD. I haven't purchased the phone yet but certainly plan to so I got to have OWA, it's work email for heaven's sake!!! I assume that the HD does everything the original does and more. I would hate if original features have been cut for things that I may not need.
First of all, thank you for being receptive to our needs and wants so here goes:
1. The battery life/drain. I'm not sure with this one. If the indicator reads red even if the battery is not dead does is stil cause a shut-down of all non-essential functions? I ask because after charging all night, I get to work at 8 a.m. and by around noon, the phone is in the red and unable to access anything other than the phone function. If this is just because of the indicator then fine, but if the battery is actually draining that fast then that's a problem. I know this appears to be a more powerful phone, but the original could last from 8 to 5 at least before getting to yellow let alone red on the battery indicator and that's even before they put out the fix for the indicator.
2. Wi-fi seems extremely inconsistent, but maybe that's because there is no information given as to what the colors of the wi-fi indicator mean. I've seen it turn blue right when I connect to my home network, then turn red as soon as I leave the wi-fi network. It then stays red until I disconnect it or let it time out which turns it grey. Only once have I seen the number of bars change from anything other than a full set of bars. Bear in mind i'm on my second M850, the first of which could see my network but not connect to it(failure message received each time I try to connect as if I'm putting in the WEP key incorrectly).
3. The sensitivity of the back, home and call buttons at the bottom of the phone is really off. The main display is incredibly sensitive, almost picking up my finger before I touch the screen, but the back, home and phone buttons almost seem to be resistive by comparison. I even had an argument with an editor of one of the big cell phone websites trying to prove that the touchscreen was capacitive and not resistive. Not until I explained that I had the original M800 and that the stylus does not work with the M850 did they finally believe me, but honestly, had I not known better I would have believed that the display as some kind of hybrid capactive screen with resistive buttons at the bottom.
4. Oftentimes when unlocking the phone and trying to acces the favs, main, fun, mystuff of web buttons, the icons will actually sit there noticeably half way off the screen while processing the request. The lag between menus is considerable, but it seems like once you visit each menu during that session, they finally move smoothly and quickly from menu to menu.
5. When plugged into a power source, with the ringer set to vibrate, the audible ringer still goes off if you receive a call or text message(very bad when you're at work and your battery doesn't last more than 4 hours...this issue also still plagues the M800 as well as the M850).
6. Is it possible to get Opera to add some "double-tap to zoom" support? If you don't like using mobile view in the browser and would prefer to see the page the way it's meant to be displayed, tapping the screen once will allow you to zoom in one time to view the screen better while hitting the back arrow at the bottom of the phone zooms you back out. Unfortunately, sometimes the links are still too small to effectively activate with your finger or they are placed at the corner of the screen and unreachable for all intents and purposes(I had a problem like this when making a purchase from the mobile Amazon webpage and it meant I had to choose a shipping choice that I was not particularly interested in). Obviously we don't appear to have multi-touch capability, but if you could double tap and zoom in further and still keep the back arrow functionality it would be perfect for those hard to reach links.
7. The portrait mode keyboard in alphabetical mode is most unintuitive and just does not fit or make sense. A simple change to a Qwerty keyboard in portrait mode would go along with the whole ease of use ideal that really got me with the original Instinct. Barring that, a T-9 capable numeric pad in portrait mode would be a major achievement as well, especially using the giant keys available in the phones' dialer, but made bigger since there would be no need for the save, pause and talk buttons.
8. The Twitter app is broken. I have yet to load it without getting the message, "A network error has occurred. Please try again later. Could not connect."
Everything else is to be commended. The camera/camcorder is amazing! However, I do at times feel like they took a really nice Samsung digital camera and a great web browser and as an afterthought added a phone and some applications to it.
First I would like to say thank you for showing interest in our feedback. This is a really nice phone with lots of potential, and timely fixes to problems would go a long way to realizing that potential.
1. Power management issue - Aside from the battery icon problem, Battery life in general is abysmal, and trying to use functions of the phone while charging results in quick overheating of the phone.
2. Wi-Fi - Connects for me ok, but never shows over 1 bar of signal even when 10 feet away from the router with direct line of sight. Range is not that good, and usually uses more battery power than being on the sprint network. Wi-Fi should be a battery saver.
3. Included apps - I hate to be blunt, but they just suck. Facebook and myspace apps take forever to load, and you can forget trying to do anything on them.
4. Portrait keyboard - I had really hoped that they would change this. The abc layout is terrible. Other Samsung touchscreen phones have a 9 key layout, why can't we? Or at least make the portrait keyboard qwerty.
5. Auto correct - Will not stay on for me. Sometimes it stays on for a while, sometimes I have to turn it back on after every message. Doesn't matter if I turn it on in the settings menu or thru the message, does the same thing.
6. Price - I mean really, $250 for a non- smartphone?
Overall, i'm impressed though. It's a beautiful phone with a gorgeous display.(not amoled gorgeous, but hey) The camera is indeed excellent. This phone really could be a winner if they play their cards right.
Could the Admins keep the junk posts removed so they don't clutter things up?
Here is my feedback on the HD, which I have owned for a few weeks.