cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention: Instinct HD Owners - Feedback Request

Highlighted
Wizard

Attention: Instinct HD Owners - Feedback Request

We're looking for feedback about the Instinct HD to help determine what to include in the sconded maintenace release (MR-2)  due out early 2010.  Just  respond to this thread and we'll the collect and analyze your responses.

I can't  guarantee that everything posted here will be fixed in MR-2., but let's start the list and see how it goes.

MR-1 is tentatively scheduled for mid-October and will fix the battery indicator error.  I will post a full list of the fixes once I have them.

328 REPLIES 328
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a Samsung HD Instinct and I JUST figured out how to get the ringtones to my phone.  It is a long, pain-in-the-a$$ journey - but it can be done. 

Here is the way:

Go to www.myxer.com (or whatever website you get your ringtones from).

Save the ringtone to your computer. 

[On myxer.com set up a free acct and click "Get Ringtone" on the ringtone you want.

Enter your phone number and click "Next"

At the bottom of the next pop-up screen it says "Other Download Methods."  Click "Download to PC"

Click "Download File" on the next screen.

Click 'Save' and save the mp3 file to your computer in Music, or my documents, etc.

Now you MUST go to: www.ventones.com and set up a free account

Click "Phone Uploader" from the left side of the screen.

Click "Browse"

Locate and open the mp3 ringtone filed you saved to your computer

Click "Upload"

Name the file whatever you would like next to "File name:"

Click "send to phone"

This next part is important:

You will receive a text message BUT it will not provide you with the link you need (at least for me it didn't).

The information you need is still on your computer screen.

After you click "Send to phone" a new screen will display a web address (http://wap.ventones.com/gcd/.....)

Access the web on your new Samsung Instinct HD.

Type that link out (long and annoying - I know)

An "Untrusted Warning" will be displayed saying "This is non-trusted file..." 

Click "Continue"

Click "Set As"

Click "Contact ID" or "Voice Calls" or whatever. 

This will save the ringer to your Samsung Instinct HD! 

Now you can go "My Stuff" on your phone and "Ringers" and they will show up!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a Samsung HD Instinct and I JUST figured out how to get the ringtones to my phone.  It is a long, pain-in-the-a$$ journey - but it can be done. 

Here is the way:

Go to www.myxer.com (or whatever website you get your ringtones from).

Save the ringtone to your computer. 

[On myxer.com set up a free acct and click "Get Ringtone" on the ringtone you want.

Enter your phone number and click "Next"

At the bottom of the next pop-up screen it says "Other Download Methods."  Click "Download to PC"

Click "Download File" on the next screen.

Click 'Save' and save the mp3 file to your computer in Music, or my documents, etc.

Now you MUST go to: www.ventones.com and set up a free account

Click "Phone Uploader" from the left side of the screen.

Click "Browse"

Locate and open the mp3 ringtone filed you saved to your computer

Click "Upload"

Name the file whatever you would like next to "File name:"

Click "send to phone"

This next part is important:

You will receive a text message BUT it will not provide you with the link you need (at least for me it didn't).

The information you need is still on your computer screen.

After you click "Send to phone" a new screen will display a web address (http://wap.ventones.com/gcd/.....)

Access the web on your new Samsung Instinct HD.

Type that link out (long and annoying - I know)

An "Untrusted Warning" will be displayed saying "This is non-trusted file..." 

Click "Continue"

Click "Set As"

Click "Contact ID" or "Voice Calls" or whatever. 

This will save the ringer to your Samsung Instinct HD! 

Now you can go "My Stuff" on your phone and "Ringers" and they will show up!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone screen is not visible outside

Difficult to dial when you get to dial screen, must dial number, put in contact, save, then go back to contacts to call, then it says its calling someone else! Dialing right number, but has wrong name.

Screens freeze up, unable to navigate

Phone calls broken up, cant hear voice well, missing sounds

Phone loses power and shuts off completely

We are going to change phones...to many problems...is it broken or difficult?, feel like going around in circles

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's even more insidious than that.  I have a Samsung Seek, btw, but it sounds a lot like your phone.  If I use the 'lock' feature, then attempts to place a call via the bluetooth headset will fail 100% of the time with a "Unable to make Voice Dial" message.  Presumably this is because it is on the "Enter Code To Unlock" screen, which isn't one of the main screens that will allow you to place a call via the bluetooth headset.

Bummer.  That means that I must unlock the phone (by hand) in order to make a hands-free call.  Where is the intuitive common sense in that?    If someone steals my bluetooth headset, I can just disconnect it at the phone (disable bluetooth, delete trusted device, etc.) -- no security issues there.  If someone steals the phone, I want to use the lock code to make it useless to them.  Using a lock code to secure the phone should not be mutually exclusive to using a headset to make calls.

Ironically, I can *accept* a call via my bluetooth headset on the "Enter Code To Unlock" screen.  I guess that makes it 50% functional all the time...

Where should I submit observations / bug reports such that they will be addressed by the firmware developers?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got my Instinct a few days ago, and i can't get Sprint Radio to upgrade.. And while Facebook & Twitter were working ok (not great) the first few times i accessed them, now i get the 'error connecting' msg.  A lot of times i press on the icons, they'll take a few seconds, sometimes longer before they're like 'oh, you pressed me, didn't you?' I'm seriously considering reactivating my blackberry and throwing this thing in the garbage, where it belongs (it didn't cost me anything anyways)..

Message was edited by: STRYKER73

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good luck on the upgrade or for that matter getting it to work.

It has been months since the sync worked; forget radio or TV, internet is a maybe.

Free is too much to pay for this brick, it will pay you back with aggravation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're in luck...you've only had the phone a few days...return it as fast as you can. Then go get the LG Optimus S for free instead. LG has already pledged to upgrade it to Android 2.3 and it currently comes with Android 2.2. I had both the original Instinct and the HD. The original was a good phone that just needed a good browser and camera...they put a good browser and camera on the HD and forgot about everything else and apparently they're no longer even supporting the services the phone came with anymore so keeping it will just be an exercise in frustration.

Highlighted
Journeyman

phone is junk

Highlighted
Journeyman

I posted earlier in this thread about all the issues I had with the phone within six hours; it's truly a badly made device, a total fail of software over moderately nice hardware.  To follow-up, I was finally, after over a week of call after call to Sprint, able to return the device without a restock fee.  In order to do so, I had to take it to a retail store, where they activated on my line AGAIN just to show that the issues on the phone were indigenous to the device and not anything that can be corrected (e.g. web basically doesn't work, typing inaccurate, software updates fail and phone won't work without them, etc).

Ok, so the phone went back.  After two months of waiting, I am still unable to upgrade, and once again Sprint gives me the party line that THEY CANNOT UNDO AN UPGRADE...EVER...IN ANY WAY....EVER!!!  I am not kidding, I have been told this for four years now.  Yes, I've had Sprint for six years, and in that time I have purchased every phone I've ever gotten off of eBay, because Sprint WILL NOT allow me to upgrade due to them extending my contract for whatever other reason.  I have never, ever had an upgrade from Sprint other than this awful Samsung Instinct HD.  I have escalated this to corporate, to the local store, to customer service, on and on and on.

I will tell anyone to NEVER upgrade using the Sprint website.  If the deal seems to good to be true, it is.  It is a lie and a scam and I hate Sprint for lying to me for years now about upgrades and contracts.  I would change companies, but I have five lines and there's no way to switch them all without fees.  Oh yeah, including mine...which hasn't had a phone subsidized by Sprint since 2005.  If I sound like I'm ranting...well, I don't like being lied to.  Hundreds of times.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Buddy,

I hear your pain. I to am so unhappy with customer support and service that I am thinking about paying the early termination fee to be done with Sprint and this Instinct phone. I know in your case five lines prohibit that. But what I have learned is you may have to pay a little more with another company and a better phone, but in the end its worth it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the phone looks good has a good camera and video but it constantly locks up and you have to remove the battery to reset it and was told by some sprint sales that this phone has had issues i wish i wouldve been told prior i would have bought a htc at times it wont send or accept media with 3 bars i have removed the battery at least 500 times in 6 months and sprint says the phone is okay maybe this is the time to pay the early disconnect fee and go with verizon

Highlighted
Journeyman

Final Feedback - you took a great phone, ignored it, and ruined it.

fun menu:

1. you never addressed the tv erasing something saved in the favorites menu.

2. myspace, facebook and twitter now open the web, not an app ( we already have a BROWSER )

3. Never got that new music player

web menu:

1. news and horoscopes now error when opening, that's it

2. weather doesn't update anymore

3. stocks don't update anymore

I got a gift...an evo

my wife got what you left her in what used to be a pretty decent phone...now she's lucky if the alarm goes off in the mornings to get the kids ready for school....no, now she gets a random shutdown multipal times a day.

Sorry to keep bugging, we know you don't care about the instinct brand...but Samsung doesn't care either. Your my carrier....thought you should know

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat