cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August updates - Phase I & II - Sprint Admins please comment

Journeyman

August updates - Phase I & II - Sprint Admins please comment

Hello Will and other Sprint Admins / Developers out there that post and read within these forums.

I am curious, as well as many others I'm sure, as to what will be included in each phase of the August updates. I know that this is a somewhat tentative / touchy subject, but I would like to have a decent idea of what types of things we might expect to see coming in each phase of the updates this month Smiley Happy

I have previously posted my own thoughts / requests for problems that have been found, such as certain web-browser issues/freezing, Lock/Unlock options, general settings issues etc.. But I think a lot of people would be quite pleased to know what might be on the docket. Also if you can confirm or deny previous posts as to whether the first update may be coming as soon as the 8th or 11th.

I would like this thread to be a very strict conversation about the specific updates / problems being implemented and or requests and not have everyone just chatting around if possible as well so that we can keep this as informative as possible.

Thanks all and lets hope for good news Smiley Happy

25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

Re: August updates - Phase I & II - Sprint Admins please comment

I attended a conference call with Samsung last week and as far as the date of the new release, all they would say is August.  We attempted to pin them down on a date and time frame (Early August, Late August, Mid August, 10 days, etc.) and they would not provide a hint as to specific date.  In general the software update is to address some issues with mobile sync, visual voice mail, and other applications on the device.

Currently they are investigating:

- Why the word Microbrew freezes the device when it is typed in a text (my personal favorite)

- Visual Voice Mail Notification is not working properly

- Data error codes "Reject Ambiguous user", 46957, 1012 and 403 (however, I know how to fix the 403 error)

- Browser unable to access high security web sites

- No SMS signature feature available while the user guide states it's available

- Complaint due to not providing end-user option to delete recent history of SMS

- End-users complaining due to phone's inability set starting menu on (currently phone defaults to speed dial menu on boot)

- End-users are wanting to use MicroSD card as storage media; however, phone will not recognize files saved on to MicroSD card using PC.

- Inability to receive call during data usage.

Some of this, just need to be ok'd by Sprint, such as the 128K browser and the SMS signature, while others need to be investigated for a root cause.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Nice Info!

That's more complete than what I have.  Poking around to see if I can find more.

Will 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Looking great so far! I really appreciate the work going into this by all those at Sprint Question though, I presume this is just what is going into effect / work for the first update in August and not necessarily all that will be included in both updates? I had heard that there was possibility of Java being updated and app downloads enabled sometime this month as well. Is this also in the works or are we currently only looking at what is being produced for the first update?

Also, is there any way that we can make this a sticky so that updates as they become availablecan easily be added and posted inside this thread?

Thanks again all

Message Edited by Punkerstkb on 08-05-2008 02:43 PM

Highlighted
Patron

Thank you TechieTech and Will for the info! I'm curious as to if there was any talk about porting any of the new features available on the Canadian/Bell version of the Instinct (IM, Youtube and Facebook apps) onto our US/Sprint versions?

Journeyman

Excuess my ingorance, but who is running the show? Is it Samsung or is it Sprint?

Is Samsung doing the bug fixes or it is Sprint? If it's joing effort, someone has to be the project leader and if so, who is it - Sprint or Samsung?

How big of a tech support staff does Sprint have devoted to working on the Instinct bugs and new features? Sounds small, but I am just guessing here.

Thank you,

Joe

Message Edited by joe1234 on 08-05-2008 05:03 PM

Journeyman

The initial updates will focus on "inconveniences" (ie Mobile Sync, VVM, bugs, known issues).  As far as adding the same options as the Canadian version, I personally have not heard anything regarding that, but I will ask if we get another conference call scheduled. 

Regarding who is running the show, the official Sprint answer, I don't know.  What I have seen?  We all in this thing together!  I'm just glad someone spoke up and changed the original name from Minerva to Instinct!

Sprint has a  team of technical, project management, UI design, etc gurus.  Samsung has a larger team of coders and developers making changes to the firmware code.  I'm not sure where the dividing line is, or who does what specifically. 

Patron

Where does the Java keyboard fix update fit into this August update timeline?

Message Edited by Jamesta on 08-05-2008 06:20 PM

Patron

@TechieTech wrote:

I attended a conference call with Samsung last week and as far as the date of the new release, all they would say is August. We attempted to pin them down on a date and time frame (Early August, Late August, Mid August, 10 days, etc.) and they would not provide a hint as to specific date. In general the software update is to address some issues with mobile sync, visual voice mail, and other applications on the device.

Currently they are investigating:

- Why the word Microbrew freezes the device when it is typed in a text (my personal favorite)

- Visual Voice Mail Notification is not working properly

- Data error codes "Reject Ambiguous user", 46957, 1012 and 403 (however, I know how to fix the 403 error)

- Browser unable to access high security web sites

- No SMS signature feature availablewhile the user guide states it's available

- Complaint due to not providing end-user option to delete recent history of SMS

- End-users complaining due to phone's inability set starting menu on (currently phone defaults to speed dial menu on boot)

- End-users are wanting to use MicroSD card as storage media; however, phone will not recognize files saved on to MicroSD card using PC.

- Inability to receive call during data usage.

Some of this, just need to be ok'd by Sprint, such as the 128K browser and the SMS signature, while others need to be investigated for a root cause.

And the following quote comes from the sticky Instinct Update thread...

"The application updates coming in August will make changes to Picture Mail, the web browser, Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, Sprint Email, Sprint Music Store, Visual Voicemail, Mobile Sync and more. Today's update prepares the device for these updates."

How did we go from the above to a fix for the word Microbrew freezing issue? Obvious answer is that neither tidbit of information is complete or detailed. This will continue to frustrate and confuse forum users and tends to suggest that Sprint is not able to resolve communication issues related to updates of this device.

Sprint fanboy forum users will surely reply that it is not in the hands of forum admins, and that they are tired of hearing people complain, etc etc... but that does not mean we will stop asking for more complete information. If there are, indeed, two updates coming in August that must mean that at least one is not more than a couple of weeks away. It really doesn't seem that out of line for users to expect more complete information on the update to be made available to them at this point.

You're right - we don't have all the information.  We're on the wrong side of the wall, and if we were in product developement, we'd be bound by wicked tight rules on what we can and can't say.   I skate a thin line here ...

About the updates:  There are two.  One is definitely in August.  I wouldn't count on the second till after Labor Day, but that's just me speaking, and like I said, I'm on the wrong side of the wall.

As soon as I get hard confirmed information I will post it or forward to the Instinct Admin to post.  

Will 

Journeyman

Ok people here is the rub:

Let me describe the situation at Sprint (and I am talking from experience of managing these exact projects with asian companies producing the hardware and firmware. Not same scale but very close.).

Samsung has the developers for firmware and Sprint has the GUI developers + some hack (no disrespect) developers to mod some code.

The QC is at Samsung, and they are not extremely happy to work with the US team (its the its not done here so its crap mentality on their part). So any code that the US / Sprint team will check in, the Samsung developers will put the breaks on, till upper management forces it down their throat. This is where upper management at Sprint has to constantly defend developers in US and promote their agenda, else everything dies.

Issue number 2, being an asian company (Samsung) admitting to a mistake is saying that department X has made a mistake, and thus they will never truly admit they made a mistake: so making them change anything is a pain.

Issue number 3, Samsung is huge, they have a relatively large (but not huge) staff of programmers but most of these suck at UI and they are in high demand. So most likely Instinct is not their #1 priority (or even close to it). So the only thing that keeps them going is the push from US. So I can tell you someone is pushing or you would have seen nothing by now.

So to answer someones question of who is in charge, I bet Samsung says "Its your project, you are project managers. You are in charge.". In reality though US is highly dependent on them doing 80% if not 90% of the work, and they are not getting a response that they want.

So good news we are getting something, so US is on top for now.

Bad news if we don't get what we want now the future looks bleak, since Sprint can't push for ever.

As a helpful hand for product manager at Sprint for this project, I would recommend for a HUGE push to get the source code for the firmware.

Since once Samsung puts the breaks on this project on their end, you will be able to push management to let you split the code from the old one so that you can mod the firmware on your own. (So as not to step on Samsungs feelings)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat