cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BROWSER CRASH - New York Times link on Sprint Instinct's default home page causing crash too

Highlighted
Journeyman

BROWSER CRASH - New York Times link on Sprint Instinct's default home page causing crash too

I know that it worked fine before but now even more sites are causing the browser to crash. My Instinct's memory is 26MB free (out of 32MB) so that shouldn't be the cause.

I just tried the New York Times link on Sprint Instinct's home page (http://softwarestore.sprint.com/m800) and it is also causing the browser to crash and return to the home screen (speed dial screen). The symptoms are the same, the browser blinks/brightens during the page load and crashes after 30-60 seconds.

I have already reset my phone and that didn't help fix the problem. I had to re-enter all my contacts.

Can you guys try the New York Times page on Sprint Instinct's page and see if it is loading fine?

http://softwarestore.sprint.com/m800/

(I know it loads on some phones fine but others are reporting browser crashes)

Message Edited by jsmith on 07-06-2008 10:01 PM

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: BROWSER CRASH - New York Times link on Sprint Instinct's default home page causing crash too

I wonder if using the phone camera for browser scrolling could have caused the problem. Can any of you test scrolling the browser page using the camera and then close the browser and see if on the next load, the New York Times page will load fine?

Here is Instinct's default home page with link to NY Times:

http://softwarestore.sprint.com/m800/

Highlighted
Journeyman

HI,Well i've just tried loading on to that website and mi...

HI,Well i've just tried loading on to that website and mine loads up just fine.Try turning your phone off and back on or try reseting it once again.If it don't work ii suggest that you contact sprint about the problem and see what they can do.In some cases the rep would give you a credit to your account..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HI,Well i've just tried loading on to that website and mi...

@LiiCEYBABY wrote:
HI,Well i've just tried loading on to that website and mine loads up just fine.Try turning your phone off and back on or try reseting it once again.If it don't work ii suggest that you contact sprint about the problem and see what they can do.In some cases the rep would give you a credit to your account..
Have you ever used the camera scrolling feature? I am wondering if that could have messed up the browser. (I tried restarting the phone but it still crashes. I will try resetting the phone again and see if that does anything. If not, iPhone 3G, here comes my family plan...)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here are more people experiencing browser crashes

http://www.instinct-samsung.com/index.php/topic,708.0.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have noticed before and mentioned that nyt linked from the Instinct home page will almost always crash the browser.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is a temporary solution for Instinct Browser crash problem (I recommend waiting until August software update instead of trying this):

http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/2008/07/solution-for-sprint-instinct-browser.html

Message Edited by jsmith on 08-01-2008 12:11 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: BROWSER CRASH - New York Times link on Sprint Instinct's default home page causing crash too

I'm not sure what browswer issues you're experiencing?  I was able to gain access to the New York Times with my Instinct and had no issues. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, we've already heard from other Instinctowners who say they don't have the problem. You either have a phone that works (most people do), or you have one that develops this problem, and when it does,the browsercrashes on the exactsame web sites for all of us. Notable sites include imdb.com, wikipedia.org, wsj.com, and several others.

The site will load perhaps 80%, then the browser will freeze. The screen will go black very briefly, then come back on at full brightness. It remains locked up for 10-20 seconds while the phone resets itself. Then the browser is gone and you are at the Speed Dial screen. I have contacted tech support 2 or 3 times and they were no help at all, giving me BS about not supporting 3rd party web sites. A couple of owners have had to resort to doing a Master Reset on their phone to resolve this (for how long I wonder).

Mine was working fine for about a week. Then this started. There is something wrong with the browser software, at some point something causes this start happening nobody has any clue what causes it or why.

Message Edited by Bradskey on 07-07-2008 11:23 AM

Highlighted
Patron

My phone was working fine for the past month. Now all of a sudden, I get this browser issue. I really don't want to do a master rest because I KNOW it's a damned software issue. I just wish sprint would put it on the to-do list.

Journeyman

I finally did the master reset, after the update introduced on my phone the lockup when using favorites in the browser and going home. I deleted all my favorites, which caused the phone to no longer allow me to add favorities.

I reset the phone and nyt works fine now along with not having the favorites bug.

I too would love an answer from Sprint that they have replicated the browser crashing.

Highlighted
Patron

Reason why I'm afraid of doing a master reset is that the web crashing issue has been KNOWN to come back. So, this will be my mission until I get a response....to not let this issue die. I don't know of any other forums that sprint reps talk to about issues w/ this phone. So I don't know where else to turn.

I travels 3 hours a day. To and from work. The web browser on this phone, while not the greatest has really helped with the boring travel time. But now I can't even surf my favorite sites w/o the phone locking up.

Ugh.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat