cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain the keyboard issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone explain the keyboard issue?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new around here and to the instinct. I have read all the information about the keyboard problem and web browser crash stuff. I guess I dont understand what the keyboard complaint is about. Could someone explain what the issues are and what happens with the phone when these issues occur? I havent really experianced any issues with the keyboard, but my mobile sync is a who different story.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Can someone explain the keyboard issue?

The browser on the Instinct is well it could use some work! Go to this website and download opera mini http://www.operamini.com/download/

It will show up in your games/apps section on the Instinct. Now try and go to a web page by tapping the top text box that has the "www." in it and you will understand our problem...

Journeyman

btw welcome to the forum!

Patron

@Davejm74 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm pretty new around here and to the instinct. I have read all the information about the keyboard problem and web browser crash stuff. I guess I dont understand what the keyboard complaint is about. Could someone explain what the issues are and what happens with the phone when these issues occur? I havent really experianced any issues with the keyboard, but my mobile sync is a who different story.

To answer your question in a nutshell... it prevents 3rd party apps from being used on the Instinct at this time. The issue specifically is that these apps can not call upon a keyboard for input when needed.

Search around the forum there is a boatload of information already floating around about this. No real need for another thread.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Dave - the other posters are correct.

The instinct has a keyboard and navigation interface, but it is phone-specific, not compatible with generic Java applications.  Google Maps, Opera, many others don't know how to call the Instinct specific keyboard and navigation interface, so you can't use those applications.  Sprint has device-specific code to call up the keyboard or move around on the application.  Some applications have been released that support this.

Sprint is working with Samsung to develop an interface between the generic Java code for keyboard and screen navigation and the Instinct specific code.  Last I heard we should be getting an annoucement about it in mid-October.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Patron

I have always asked in previous post about the usefulness of the Java keyboard, but never got an answer or even just links to these many apps people keep talking about. Aside from Opera Mini and Google mobile programs, I don't see a lot of these other free Java programs working properly on our Instincts. Here's 3 reasons why.

1. Most of the free apps you see on getjar, sharejar and other site need a physical d-pad. Not a lot of programs run on a pure touchscreen device.

2. Messenger and calendar apps will work fine just as long as you keep the program running and active. The problem is the way the Instinct works, as soon as leave an app or your phone turns off, the app will also turn off. That means you can't get notifications on the calendars and your IM app will get logged off.

3. Any programs that have to interact with the programs that were built in to the Instinct has to be certified. So, these apps have to be stand alone. Since I can't really try them out with a keyboard, I'm just guessing that some of the programs that involve the camera, GPS or bluetooth will have problems.

I like my Instinct, and this is the reason why I've been trying out all these apps to see what works. The more I look, the more I realize how insignificant the keyboard implementation will be. And with a fully working browser, I don't know if the Opera mini will be as desirable as it is right now.

Sprint Product Ambassador

The 'no background app' thing is something I hadn't heard of - but it could be an issue.

The D-pad issue should also be addressed by putting a virtual d-pad on the screen.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Patron

Thanks for the info Will. The only reason why I think that the apps can't run in the background is because everytime I try pressing the home or phone key, a window would pop up saying "do you wish to exit the application".

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat