cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character limits and texting

Highlighted
Journeyman

Character limits and texting

PLEASE PLEASE fix this...Please Why isn't the Instinct able to either Automatically send text messages that exceed 160 characters as multiple messages?, OR AT LEAST allow user to save multiple drafts per recipient. On my A900, the 160 limit was hugely annoying, but at least I could break up what I was trying to send someone into multiple messages and save them as drafts, then send them one after the other in quick succession. Apparently, the Instinct only allows 1 draft per recipient ,and a recipient must be indicated prior to message composition. So, I have to start my message, send, continue composing, send, continue composing, send, etc etc until I get my message through. Not only is the lag time between messages, as I feverishly compose the next 160 character block of text, annoying to the recipient, it's disruptive to my train of thought. All in all, the Instinct's text capabilities, or lack thereof, seem designed specifically to make me look stupid and inarticulate

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Patron

@akipika wrote:
I'm with Coaster on this... if you have such a long message and dislike the 160 character limit, then either email or call! It is a phone after all and if you have something long and important to tell someone, use it for it's primary purpose.

akipika...I'm also with you and Coaster. If I have more than 160 characters to type I just email. Every carriers web site allows you to send a text from their site and it also has that limit. You can get around the limit however, as you both know but email makes more sense.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My ex used to drive me nuts. She and her best friend would text each other for 45 minutes straight and I could never understand why they did not just call each other. Her reason was that she did not want to talk, but texting was alright. I just hated hearing her phone chirp every 30 seconds for nearly an hour when one 5 minute phone call, they could have said everything they were going to say and not need to text back and forth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the 160 limit is also related to the CDMA technology that Sprint and Verizon both use because they both limit text messages to 160 characters. Nextel allows many more characters. I think roughly double the amount. I'm not sure if it was the phone or Verizon but I've received a text message from a Verizon customer that appeared to be automatically broken up into two messages because the message exceeded the 160 character length.

Highlighted
Journeyman

akipika wrote:
I'm with Coaster on this... if you have such a long message and dislike the 160 character limit, then either email or call! It is a phone after all and if you have something long and important to tell someone, use it for it's primary purpose.
dude really who has just a phone anymore? I have texted on every phone i have owned and some of us don't always have time to talk. no need to come down on us! i think what everyone is saying here is that the average text maybe longer than 160 characters

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a way to get 1000 characters. 1. If you choose to send a picture text first (it's the lower right icon after you select the messaging app). 2. Select the pencil and paper icon in the upper left corner. 3. Choose your contact. 4. Select text only, you will get a character limit of 1000. I hope this helps you with your issue. This 1000 character limit may be changed someday by Sprint but it works for now. _________________________________________________________________ webstem, that's brilliant. No one acknowledged your discovery but it solves the 160 character limit. good job man.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You don't have time to talk, but have time to text more than 160 characters? Not coming down on you, just saying that in my experience of watching people text back and forth for an hour, making a 3-5 minute phone call would be a whole lot quicker and easier. If you have time to text back and forth like that, then you certainly have time to talk on the phone briefly. If 160 character limit bothers you, then email or send multiple texts. Hopefully when we get our much promised and overly delayed lcdui/midp2.0 keyboard update, we can stall instant messenger clients and that will be a whole better than texting in my opinion.

Journeyman

I was formerly a Verizon customer, and although the texting limit is 160 characters, if you were texting someone else on the sprint network i could go to nearly 600 characters i think it was before it would ever stop me. I believe this feature could also be enabled on sprint phones as well, and if they don't want to allow a limit above 160 characters for messages sent to other networks, then they could just allow for the message to be split into multiple messages before it is sent out and that way they can allow the user to see the text going out as one message and then just break up the message. I think this would be a very easy fix for the issue, and honestly I don't know why it hasn't already been in place. I know that AT&T does it this way, and for Verizon you just had a hard cap for messages much like what we have now, but a blend of the two options would make this far superior to the existing Sprint SMS option and to other competitors.

Sprint you should really check into this, it is extremely annoying to have to break up your messages when you have an unlimited texting option now, and the messages would appear to be longer to us (the user) but really behind the scenes the message is really limited to 160 characters and broken into parts when sent to external networks or to other sprint users.

Thanks for listening

Highlighted
Patron

@dole wrote:

It's all a big conspiracy by the Big 4 to make their agreed upon 20 cents per txt... that's why they're investigating the price hikes in the past few years. If you had a larger limit, they wouldn't make as much money. SRSLY

Yeah... the text limit has been in place for a while and originally allowed the carriers to make more off per text charges. Now that unlimited text plans are becoming the standard and carriers are taking some heat for rising costs of texting, it would be nice to see those limitations removed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

just compse a mms message, and dont attach a picture. You can email to a text as well. or just write what you need to say down, and read it over dinner

Highlighted
Patron

@chevyg1 wrote:
just compse a mms message, and dont attach a picture. You can email to a text as well. or just write what you need to say down, and read it over dinner

Most people realize there is a workaround... it's really more an issue of removing unnecessary limitations.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously though in the end it is just bothersome to have to send write another text send again continue. etc meanwhile the person on the other ends is answering you already when your not even finished. I don't think its a Sprint thing seems to be a Samsung thing. My a-940 did the same but at least you could save multiple drafts. Before that I had a Sanyo that was "smart" enough to let you keep writing but when you hit send it would send as many 160 character texts as were needed. That was the best I get my message across and the companies can still charge whatever they want for each one. FIX IT!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@webstem wrote:
There is a way to get 1000 characters.

1. If you choose to send a picture text first (it's the lower right icon after you select the messaging app).

2. Select the pencil and paper icon in the upper left corner.

3. Choose your contact.

4. Select text only, you will get a character limit of 1000.

I hope this helps you with your issue.

This 1000 character limit may be changed someday by Sprint but it works for now.

This only works if the person that you are sending it to has Pic Messaging.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat