Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying, Pasting, and Highlighting, just everything

Journeyman

Copying, Pasting, and Highlighting, just everything

I'm a recent Treo/Centro user and I wish Sprint would have let Palm create their I-phone... as a previous PDA user, I'm completely frustrated with this phone and am on the verge of taking it back. The Instinct is limited to what it can do... you can't highlight words or groups of words when your texting...no emotioncons...the character length in the calender is not unlimited...can't put your pictures in different folders...it's so sentsitive so when you scrolling for a contact you can select the wrong person...when I was adding pictures to my contact, I kept selected the wrong person, and it doesn't warn you or ask if you sure you want to save before proceeding...can't copy and paste... yesterday, this guy text me his address so that I could put it in the GPS to determine ...I had to physically write down the address from the text, then go back and type it in the GPS, there was no way for me to highlight the text, copy it, and paste it into the address of the GPS...simply horrible

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Unfortunatly this phone is not for everyone. It is not technically considered a smart phone although it has some smart phone qualities. you may want to look into a phone that runs Windows. But you will probably have to pay more that $129.

Good luck

Journeyman

@runawayq wrote:

Unfortunatly this phone is not for everyone. It is not technically considered a smart phone although it has some smart phone qualities. you may want to look into a phone that runs Windows. But you will probably have to pay more that $129.

Good luck

I'm tired of these responses. Look, if you have NOTHING useful to say, then really, don't post. Seriously.

To compare: the iPhone will cost $199. Yes there's a contract and yes, the monthly is higher, that's why people are here. Sprint also promised to take on the iPhone. It's not unreasonable to expect Sprint to provide at least similar features. Cut-and-paste is pretty basic.

Journeyman

rutledjw, dude (or chick, whichever), be nice. runawayq is merely stating a fact. this isn't supposed to be a smartphone. if you want something useful, here ya go. if tstarr8901 read the manual, it would say that the address he got could have been saved in his contacts under "address" and then, when he went to that contact, it could navigate from there. next, he/she would have read, also, that there is a "touch sensitivity" setting which would stop his/her accidentally selecting instead of scrolling. thirdly, pics can be put in separate folders if those folders are set up manually on the SD card in your computer which one only has to do once. it seems like everyone wants this phone to freakin' make them breakfast right out of the box. one actually has to fiddle with the darn thing for 10 minutes and almost all of this stuff is right there in front of them. lastly, there is firmware update coming this month. 2 sprint people on this forum have confirmed it. it already exists and is in beta testing right now. they are reading these forums and are fixing things RIGHT NOW. i have this phone. i really like it. it could blow iPhone away when they make the fixes and launch the aps from the contest and it is WAYYYYYYY cheaper on all levels. at the end of the day, it is just a phone people. it should call people. if it does more... bonus. PDA users should buy PDA's. there's a reason why they are more expensive... THEY DO MORE STUFF.

Journeyman

19771979mikebetsy - appreciated your response, however the FIRST thing that I did was read the manual and I did put the address in the contact address fields. I was and am not avaialbe to navigate from there so if you're saying this feature should work, mines does not. 2ndly, I did adjust the touch sensitivity and while this made things a little less sensitive, it still does not correct my issue which is after determining a letter, and flicking the finger to continue the stroll to select a contact, it is still not detecting the difference between a "flic" and me selecting an actual contact, causing the selction to be wrong. In addition to that whenever I go to select a contact to send a text to, the picture for the contact somehow jumps ups up a level to a wrong contact...simply crazy...I do not think most user want this phone to be "Breakfast out of the Box"; however, I do think user would like it to at least has BASIC functions.You say this is not supposed to be a smart phone, however it was promoted as one, so that is what I expected.

Journeyman

first i would like to say that i am a current iphone owner and i am really considering the instinct phone for purchase. i have been reading these forums to see what the people who have the phone think about it and how they like it. I have to let those know who are dissatisfied about not being able to cut and paste email, addresses, text messages etc., well guess what, you can't do that on the iphone either, they don't have the capability. Not even on the new and supposidly improved iphone 3g. You also easily run into sensitivity issues when trying to select one thing and because of the touch screen you end up selecting something or someone else not intended, or even worse I can't begin to tell you how many times i have called someone by accident when just trying to set the phone down and if you don't black out your screen first, your last finger on the phone is going to open that app guaranteed. And Iphone does not allow you to adjust your sensitivity to the touch screen, at least the Instinct allows you that. Now you would think that these things would be really simple to implement but even on the next gen Iphone you still cant do any of the above, or for that matter, it has no voice commands period, you can't text in landscape mode, (which is a total pain in the butt), you can only take pictures, but you can't shoot video, you can't attach pictures to ttext messages, all things that seem really basic which the instinct has, but the most hyped phone out here can do none of that, which puts me here in this forum and i am really pissed that they want to charge you more (monthly plan) than you already pay, plus take away the 200 text messages that were included to make you pay another $5 bucks to get them back. So my point is for people who are not really satisfied, the grass is not always greener on the other side. Yes the iphone is cool, especially at the bar, on the train, bus, office etc. it is guarenteed to get a conversation started, but it too has it's shortcomings and problems. It is not the perfect phone by far but as more updates came out it fixed some technical problems it had the first year, but to leave out some basic features and charge more money is not acceptable to me. I hope this helps people, I ordered the instinct and whenever it comes I will give it a 30 day trial and see how it works as a phone first and all the other fluff i'll see how much it matters then. Truth be told (just for me) a lot of the things the iphone offers i don't use anyway, just phone (which sucks - AT&T), email and occasionally ipod. The internet is too slow to really be effective unless i'm at home on wi-fi, but then why look at a small screen when i have my pc in front of me. So that is all I have to say for now, i am not trying to bash anyone or any of these fine products, i know i have said a lot but i'll close with they all have their pluses and minuses, add up your pros and cons and which features matter most to you and go with that product.

Journeyman

if tstarr8901 read the manual, it would say that the address he got could have been saved in his contacts under "address" and then, when he went to that contact, it could navigate from there. _______________________________ I don't doubt it is there, but would you point us to the page? In my case, it just works: i can click the address and add. But, I couldn't find it in either the ug or the "explore more" guide.

Journeyman

OP should of sticked with a PDA.Instinct doesn't do that,it was never advertised as doing that.So he knew what was and wasn't included.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat